Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito 30 catches when turned over...damage?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 30 catches when turned over...damage?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:30 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Saito 30 catches when turned over...damage?

I picked up a Saito 30 that looks like it has never been run, but it had been sitting on someone's shelf for many years. When I turned it over it would stick momentarily. I couldn't quite get the relationship with compression, it really felt like a mess.

I took off the valve covers and found the intake pushrod was off its rocker, so to speak, so it was getting jammed when it came up. So I got it back in place and figured problem solved, but that valve could not be adjusted...huge gap. Turned out the intake valve was stuck down. I put a drop of sewing machine oil on it and turned the heat gun on. It took awhile, but it finally loosened up and I was able to adjust it. Now it turned over properly with good compression, and bearings are smooth.

So now everything seems normal and it should be a runner. But I'm a little worried that by turning it over several times when it was catching, before I fixed it, that I might have damaged something a bit. Since it adjusted OK and I got compression, I suppose everything is fine, but I wish I had popped the valve covers as soon as I felt resistance.

Any opinions?

Jim
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If it turns over smoothly now you should be OK. That happens now and then. I bought a new 1.00 about 5 years ago that had the pushrod out of the rocker arm socket, it did not hurt it at all. The little .30 is a howler, the prop pictured is a Bolly 10.5x5.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .30 004 (Small).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2054056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .30 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2054057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .30 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	2054058  
Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 AM
buzzard bait

Thanks Hobbsy. Your rpm on that prop is fantastic...if mine comes even close I will be extremely happy.

Too bad they don't make those Bolly props anymore. I picked up some 9.5x5s and 8.5x4s when they were closing out, but the 10.5x5s were already gone. And too bad they aren't selling the little Saito 30s here anymore. I know the 40a is small too, but the 30 is so darn cute, and barely 9 oz with muffler.

Jim
Old 12-13-2014, 02:11 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Thanks Hobbsy. Your rpm on that prop is fantastic...if mine comes even close I will be extremely happy.

Too bad they don't make those Bolly props anymore. I picked up some 9.5x5s and 8.5x4s when they were closing out, but the 10.5x5s were already gone. And too bad they aren't selling the little Saito 30s here anymore. I know the 40a is small too, but the 30 is so darn cute, and barely 9 oz with muffler.

Jim
There is a pair on RCU for sale $165.00
Old 12-13-2014, 06:48 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Sounds like the engine was stored with the intake valve open and it stuck. When the crank was turned and the cam rotated to the low side of the lobe the valve/ rocker didn't follow and the pushrod fell out of its socket. Now that you have it free and adjusted I'd suggest lubing the valve train with power steering fluid as Hobbsy has trained us to do and run it. Give it a rich, patient break in. Mine is one of my favorites. A mechanical hero in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 PM
buzzard bait

That sounds about right, except the intake valve was stuck closed. While I had the lids off I did lube everything with a mix of Mobil One and an anti-oxidant oil (Rislone?), and used the heat gun hoping to get it down into the tubes and cam area. It's pretty cold here right now, but I'll give it a run on the test stand in a couple days when it warms up a bit. The engine really looks like new...I think it might have just been run on the bench. I'll treat it as new and give it a rich break in.

I have a nice OS 26 FS, but it has very poor fuel draw, the only engine I've put the choke back onto, because a finger over the muffler wouldn't work. It would also be great to have a little more power. Thanks everyone.

Bob, I'm not sure that price is for two...that would be a great deal. I think it's $165 apiece. Ad is not written clearly.

Jim
Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Huge gap in adjustment? Stuck down? That sounds like open to me. No matter, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:38 PM
buzzard bait

Oh, I guess I got that backwards. Yes, stuck down, spring in compression.

Just ran it on the test stand; started instantly. Ran at the prescribed 4000 rpm for 10 minutes on a 10x5 Zinger, then another 5 minutes at 6000, then took it up to 9000 for a bit. Shut down, oiled it up and put away till spring. Looking forward to flying it!

Jim
Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the FA-30 is still selling everywhere else. Just not here in the U.S.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Surprisingly they have the FA .40a in stock.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:07 PM
buzzard bait

Everyone at the field who saw my OS 26 FS running thought it was the cat's meow. I don't know why these little four strokes are not popular here. I just love 'em.

Jim