Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Helicopter engines in an airplane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 PM
davidmlbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter engines in an airplane?

I have two OS 61F SR-H engines that I have been trying to sell for a while, but no takers. So, my next question is, "can they be used on airplanes?" If this were full scale, I would say "yes, but..." there are torque curves and engine RPM that must be considered. I do not know if the same considerations apply to glow engines. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks[TABLE="class: tborder, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: alt1"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 02-18-2015, 11:49 PM
dogshome

Webra 39H in a Laser Arrow delta here and my friend has a 0.12 car engine (with huge heatsink) in a junior 60. So I'd say yes.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 AM
prigai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems at all but a few considerations:
1. Heli engines have shorter shafts, you may need a shaft extension.
2. Heli engines are usually ported for higher operating speeds, typically 2000rpm or more.
3. Heli carburettors have a different throttle curve to plane engines, typically richer midrange.
4. The heat sink may cool the head too much and the engine will not work at ideal temperature unless you throttle it up.
With all that said, Heli engines can be absolutely great in planes, I tried an old YS 61 with a 12x6 and 13x6 props recently and it almost ripped the test stand off.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
davidmlbrown

Thank you both. Perhaps something with a fully enclosed cowling would prevent too much cooling. I will work on it.