Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito fa180 won´t start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:03 AM
mvarzoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito fa180 won´t start.

Dear all.

My Saito FA180 worn out the glow plug thread.
Therefore I asked a friend to make a new housing for the plug.
The housing was made out of Brass.
At the end, the job is perfect except by tthe fact that my friend left a "head" like if there is two plug washers.
The engine has been completanly clean and re-built. The sync wheel is in place, the valve is adjusted, but the engine does not fire up.
The carb is OK, it has a good fuel flow.

I´m suspecting on the Glow Plug. So, How important is the deepness of the glow plug into the engine?

Thanks.
Mauricio
Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think that it did affect the compression some, and thus the performance may be off some. But it sould still be able to run though. There may be something else preventing it from running. You might double check everything and make sure the cam timing is set correctly. It might simply be the intake manifold is leaking and letting it draw air bypassing the carburetor. But since you mentioned it, you could try another glow plug in case the one in it is bad. Sometimes the glow ignitor isn't working too.

Last edited by earlwb; 03-17-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 AM
mvarzoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it was a carb issue.
I soaked it on WD40 overnight and this mornig I blew it with an air compressor and everything is fine now...

I had no chance to tune it up yet, (had to come to office) but will do it tonight.

I´ll post the results.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:13 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is good news. Sometimes those things can be very disconcerting when they happen.