Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

replacing piston & sleevenew sleeve is really tight

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

replacing piston & sleevenew sleeve is really tight

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:45 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
Thanks for the address.
Address?

Is that.... Could it be...?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it is.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:22 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Huh... At his age, you'd think he could spell better than he does.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Broken Wings

That's a Stevens Aeromodels Scram. 18" wing span. If you use the model as a scale you can get an idea of his mass... I'm guessing 98lbs. His clothes are hanging off of him and you can barely make out an arm of any size.

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...-SCRAM100.html

Isn't he just adorable.... (Smiles)

Now I understand why he quit flying engine powered models.... he couldn't carry them.... Much less a flight box.

He talks trash about other people like he's a big man. Curse words, F-bombs a real tough guy.

Of course he knows he'll never have to stand face to face with those that he berates.
When you get a good look at him, and once he's been weighed and measured its obvious he's just a pathetic troll that hides behind his keyboard.

Be careful what you say about people you don't know. You got that Konrad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index_kindlephoto-480590772.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	2100153  

Last edited by Broken Wings; 06-04-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

LOL.

Spelling lesson for those reading who may have questions as to some terms used in model engines and modeling forums that some get confused by.

Forum (noun):
Not to be confused with:

Form (noun):

Taper (noun):
diminish or reduce or cause to diminish or reduce in thickness toward one end.
"the cylinder tapers near the top"
[TABLE="class: vk_tbl vk_gy"]
[TR]
[TD="class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl"]synonyms:[/TD]
[TD]narrow, thin (out), come to a point, attenuate"the leaves taper at the tip"[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Not to be confused with:

Tapper (noun):
1.a person or thing that taps or strikes lightly.
"The tapper will tap maple trees to collect sap for making maple syrup"

Pearls (noun):
    a hard, lustrous spherical mass, typically white or bluish-gray, formed within the shell of a pearl oyster or other bivalve mollusk and highly prized as a gem.

a precious thing; the finest example of something.
    "the nation's media were assembled to hear his pearls of wisdom
  • Not to be confused with:
  • Purls (verb):

verb
    3rd person present: purls
    • knit with a purl stitch.
      "knit one, purl one"

Shiny
    (adjective):

adjective
    • (of a smooth surface) reflecting light, typically because very clean or polished.
      "shiny hair" "A shiny band around the piston"
      [TR]
      [TD]glossy, glassy, bright, polished, gleaming, satiny, sheeny, lustrous[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

Not to be confused with:

Shinny (verb):

another term for shin
"he loved to shinny up that tree"

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-02-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I though you shimmy up a tree? Not shinny.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by aspeed
I though you shimmy up a tree? Not shinny.
Some do. Apparently some dictionary writers "Shinny" up a tree. LoL. I was just copy and pasting.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:10 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All these guys have some good hints- I have been disassembling motors from small glow, gas, electric, motorcycles, race engines, diesel, and aircraft turbines going back to 1954. My method for sleeved motors has always been the same- store the sleeve in the coldest freezer you can find,(20 degrees below zero is best) for 2 hours. Remove parts like sealed bearings from the block, then put the block or cylinder in a toaster oven (for small motors) at 200 degrees and warm it for 2 hours. Wearing oven mitts or heat proof gloves take both parts out and immediately push the sleeve down into the cylinder in one quick push. It helps to put some index marks on both parts to be able to get the alignment right. The sleeve won't shrink much-only .002-003 inch but you need all you can get. The aluminum cylinder will expand a little more than that resulting in a loose fit. As soon as the two parts come together they will affect each other quickly but if you are quick it will slide right in. Don't stop the push until it is seated, it may get stuck. If you don't want to risk it take it to a machine shop-they do this stuff all the time. Don't beat on the parts but making a wood cradle supporting the cylinder and putting a wood block on top of the sleeve and pushing together with a drill press works pretty good.
Most model engines are fitted with zero clearance and may slide in with out the heat/cool procedure, but you won't know that until it either fits or sticks. The heat/cool method always works for me. Years ago I used this on my ducted fan engines (K&B, OS MAX, Rossi) on a regular basis. PIstons usually need to be in the cylinder before you start and the piston-rod needs to be properly oriented, some pistons have an offset in the wrist pin hole. Rods have lube grooves and holes and only go in one way. ABC piston-sleeve combinations are too tight at the top of the cylinder to be able to install the piston after the sleeve is pressed into the cylinder, piston goes in the bottom of the sleeve.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I've never had to heat a crankcase to install a liner - just cleaned the outside of the liner and inside of the crankcase and in it goes. An old engine with lots of time on it and usage of castor oil in the fuel would likely warrant heating the case to get the liner out.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-04-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Changed wording to read better
Old 06-03-2015, 03:48 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Tim, don't fergit that the plural form of Forum is Fora, not Forums. A little knowledge gained from William Robison.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:51 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Tim, don't fergit that the plural form of Forum is Fora, not Forums. A little knowledge gained from William Robison.
LoL!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 AM
Hobbsy

Hey Tim, I don't use ABC type, I use AB? This early 80's or late 70's Webra .91 is ABN and still cookin, it has been used as a Diesel and glow.

Name:	Webra .91 Exhaust bolts 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	2100236  
Old 06-03-2015, 04:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yup. Webra makes a fine engine from what I've heard.

Theres a back story to all of the madness in this thread. Hardly fair to the OP, which I'm sorry for.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:12 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been reading this all along, and there has been some confusion indicated and also some wrong information posted.

With model engines, and likely other full-size engines, too, it is not unusual for some engines to be manufactured such that the crankcase and cylinder liner have a very tight fit. To get them to properly slide together requires that the case must be heated. That does not mean that the engine is manufactured incorrectly.

With O.S., their high-performance engines sometimes required that you heat the case to extract or install the cylinder liner. Many SuperTigre engines were the same way, especially the older ones. With other engines, burned fuel residue would act as a glue and you'd need to heat the case to free the liner from the "glued" effect.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I own high performance engines as well as average sport engines and none of them have required heating the case to install the liner. I don't have every engine brand ever made, but I have enough to form what I feel is a reasonable belief that a snug fit is normal. Just my opinion, so take it for what it is. I speak of model engines only- full size engines aren't really comparable to model engines IMO.

Again, just my opinion. I'll eat all of my words if I ever come across an engine that requires heating the case to remove and install a liner in a new engine.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-04-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Hobbsy

I can vouch for the ST engines being very hard to get the liners in and out, the OS LA engines, the liner is a very precise slip fit. That Webra I pictured, you couldn't get that sleeve out with a jack hammer.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:41 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I must have some really rare engines then - I have a half dozen ST engines (all Italian) and I had no problem sliding the liners out. Ringed or ABC, all the same. Even the Foxes I own have a slip fit. The Novarossi 3.5 I have probably has the loosest liner to case fit of them all.

Irvine and Webra is on my list of engines to obtain and collect at some point... I'd like to get some Norvel's too.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-04-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Broken Wings

I had an Irvine 1.50 with a cast iron liner that was extremely tight and needed heat to remove it.

Who cares.... glow is dead. Remember.

Last edited by Broken Wings; 06-03-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Broken Wings

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
LOL.

Spelling lesson for those reading who may have questions as to some terms used in model engines and modeling forums that some get confused by.

Forum (noun):
Not to be confused with:

Form (noun):

Taper (noun):
diminish or reduce or cause to diminish or reduce in thickness toward one end.
"the cylinder tapers near the top"
[TR]
[TD]narrow, thin (out), come to a point, attenuate"the leaves taper at the tip"[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Not to be confused with:

Tapper (noun):
1.a person or thing that taps or strikes lightly.
"The tapper will tap maple trees to collect sap for making maple syrup"

Pearls (noun):
    a hard, lustrous spherical mass, typically white or bluish-gray, formed within the shell of a pearl oyster or other bivalve mollusk and highly prized as a gem.

a precious thing; the finest example of something.
    "the nation's media were assembled to hear his pearls of wisdom
  • Not to be confused with:
  • Purls (verb):

verb
    3rd person present: purls
    • knit with a purl stitch.
      "knit one, purl one"

Shiny
    (adjective):

adjective
    • (of a smooth surface) reflecting light, typically because very clean or polished.
      "shiny hair" "A shiny band around the piston"
      [TR]
      [TD]glossy, glassy, bright, polished, gleaming, satiny, sheeny, lustrous[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

Not to be confused with:

Shinny (verb):

another term for shin
"he loved to shinny up that tree"
He doesn't know any better.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:12 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Neither do I.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:46 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I was a bit snide in some of my replies. I edited the wording in several posts. To the RCU fellas that replied in this thread, my apologies. I did not mean any disrespect. I have my opinion (which is strong on many subjects) and it bests me sometimes. I'll be doing a bit of research on this subject further so I'm better informed. Again - sorry fellas.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:12 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
T

Isn't he just adorable.... (Smiles)

Now I understand why he quit flying engine powered models.... he couldn't carry them.... Much less a flight box.

He talks trash about other people like he's a big man. Curse words, F-bombs a real tough guy.

Of course he knows he'll never have to stand face to face with those that he berates.
When you get a good look at him, and once he's been weighed and measured its obvious he's just a pathetic troll that hides behind his keyboard.

Be careful what you say about people you don't know. You got that Konrad.
You had to ruin a good evening by mentioning Konrad again, but since his name still comes up when discussing the more dysfunctional moments of RCU let me point out that he hid his real name at all times, and claimed to be an engineer with Boeing. Then, there's the world class engine he 'built' and it took a trophy that is only hinted to and never disclosed. His diction points to English as a second language, so he is doing pretty good if that's true. He will probably always hide behind several facades when posting on the Internet. The main point is that we are discussing a seriously disturbed person who no longer has privileges at RCU. I'm sure I'm not the only one privy to his disturbing rants in his private messages when things went zap in his head. It's clear that he made a lasting (long lasting) impression on a number of members, and it's probably not the impression he was aiming to invent for himself. Normally I would ax this course of discussion, but he created the impressions of being deranged in the most spectacular way and the damage remains. There's no way to go back and correct all the crazy comments and theories he made. I'm going to go easy on my own comments about Konrad as I suspect he is (or has been) actually under close care by a treatment facility and that probably isn't a fun fact to admit to in the forums. I'm okay with his visions of greatness and grand knowledge.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:08 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Go Barry!! Woot!

Dont forget about MDonnahoo. One of his alter-egos...
Old 06-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Broken Wings

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Go Barry!! Woot!

Dont forget about MDonnahoo. One of his alter-egos...
What was Classic was his explanation of MDonnahoo on his home forum. AS IF those guys can't spot a sock puppet within a 100 yards...
Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Broken Wings

Be gentle... Remember he has openly admitted that he's not comfortable with his sexuality on his home forum.. I wish him the best of luck in his transition... I'm sure once he transitions he'll feel better.

Abigail...?

Name:	index_kindlephoto-480590772.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	2100474  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.