Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How to remove piston from OS 65LA

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:34 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove piston from OS 65LA

How do I remove the cylinder from a 65LA? I have the back plate and cylinder head off, and the sleeve removed. Is there a trick to sliding the connecting rod off the drive shaft? There doesn't seem to be enough clearance to get it off.

I have an old engine with a peeled liner. I'm thinking of buying a new piston/liner set from Tower but I want to get everything apart for inspection first. If I have to replace other parts then it would be too costly to bother with the engine.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 03:56 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the piston and rod come off when you move the connecting rod on the piston as far back as it will go. Then with the crankpin at the top (top dead center), the rod ought to pop off the crankpin. Some engines have you set the crankpin at bottom dead center (or the bottom) too. If it doesn't work one way try the other. You can make a hook like tool to slip behind the rod to help work it off with. Also don't let the crankshaft slip back any when you do it. There is a small space on the rod at the top for the piston where it can slide back a little and that is the key to getting it off.

Last edited by earlwb; 07-22-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-22-2015, 04:08 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. Got it. Thanks. I was being too gentle.