Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Question for you older guys...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
If the Mojo engine has the MOJO that's what counts, my Snorer is not a snorer, it runs very well. It was a gift from a friend and I wll never part with it.
In my book, the weirder the better. As long as it throttles in the midrange, that's all that matters.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:01 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Enya also has a following judging by RCU. I've never had one but I do like the looks of them. The VT-240 looks very nice, of course.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
I think Enya also has a following judging by RCU. I've never had one but I do like the looks of them. The VT-240 looks very nice, of course.
A VT240 sold for $500 over on the other big RC site recently. That's an absolute steal.

Enya may have a following, but a lot of guys knock them because they're heavier and don't make quite as much power as the Saitos. I haven't found another sport 4-stroke that can rev like an Enya. YS maybe, but good lord they're expensive.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:14 PM
madgadget
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saito seems the logical choice for your intentions. I share your appreciation if not enthusiasm for the surpass line of OS"s encouraging you to solicit for NOS (someone got one nib). In the absence of those options saito's the only engine that made me not miss my gemini and surpass mills. best of whatever makes u smile
Old 09-18-2015, 01:12 AM
the pope

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
In my book, the weirder the better. As long as it throttles in the midrange, that's all that matters.
Hi there Tim , midrange is over rated in my book . It just gets in the way of going from idle to flat chat ! cheers the pope
Old 09-18-2015, 02:11 AM
Rudolph Hart

Nope. Been through this conversation a few times. I am what you call a non-conformist. I don't do what everyone else does. I don't buy into the idea that so many guys put Saito and OS on this magical pedestal that they're the best and I should have one... I entertained the idea of buying just one Saito - watched the classifieds for awhile until I found one of modest size (I think it was a .40) and was used and they wanted way too much money for it.... It sold in just a few days which surprised me until I remembered the cult-like following Saito has; or so it seems anyway. I found a .46 Enya that needed some TLC for a lot less money than the Saito 40 and it will handle a max rpm of 14k Too.

It's all good; I'm particularly fond of the rear camshafts of the Enya and the quirky front glow plug. I think Saito engines are ugly and OS slightly better looking but less refined. I do not like the prices they charge for OS or Saito - another reason I avoid them. Enya looks elegant yet robust. I just prefer them. No offense to any fans of the others.... When I showed up at the club field last week and heard a guy fire off a 4-stroke, I about fell over. I knew what it was by the way it sounded, not by seeing it. The guy was surprised I knew what it was.

I'm done.
Well i'm not if you can't remember the only saito you ever owned you don't qualify to comment.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by the pope
Hi there Tim , midrange is over rated in my book . It just gets in the way of going from idle to flat chat ! cheers the pope
Well, the Mojo is a 3D profile plane, and you need a clean midrange to fly 3D... It will be a long time before I fly 3D, but I got the plane for too good a price to pass up given its not been flown yet. I'll give it its virgin crash! LoL.

Cheers Michael
Old 09-18-2015, 07:01 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Well i'm not if you can't remember the only saito you ever owned you don't qualify to comment.
Greetings old chap!

Ive heard Saitos and OSes run before, they run nice and smooth - don't get me wrong. They just don't seem to have any personality because they run so smooth. I guess I prefer something with a bit more character.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Rudolph Hart

They certainly look ok guy down the club flies one.

ps next time you fire a saito up get back to me here and i'll show you how to tune one so it runs real unpredictable and fires props all over the countryside,it's a good way to get plenty of room on the flightline.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

They certainly look ok guy down the club flies one.

ps next time you fire a saito up get back to me here and i'll show you how to tune one so it runs real unpredictable and fires props all over the countryside,it's a good way to get plenty of room on the flightline.
LoL.. No worries about me ever running a Saito. I've tried getting my Enya's to chuck a prop... Hasn't happened yet. Not expecting it to happen either. I can tune an engine better than you think.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

From experience I can safely Enya fourstrokes can kick props off with the best of them, it doesn't matter whether it's a .46 MKII, a .53tn a 1.20 GP or a 1.55. Just a hair lean and the prop is gone, especially the ones with a single nut and Belville washer.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
From experience I can safely Enya fourstrokes can kick props off with the best of them, it doesn't matter whether it's a .46 MKII, a .53tn a 1.20 GP or a 1.55. Just a hair lean and the prop is gone, especially the ones with a single nut and Belville washer.
I use a standard Enya prop washer, prop nut, and a spinner nut. Haven't lost a prop yet, and trust me... I caused my 60 to quit several times going a hair lean on the needle. Tried 5, 10, 15, and 20% nitro fuels. They just quit. Maybe I'm just lucky. I'm not saying they won't backfire and chuck a prop. They can. Much more likely if only using one prop nut. I always double nut the 4-stroke cycle engines.

I had a K&B .65 backfire once - or rather it loaded way up and misfired and started running backwards and it chucked a prop.. But that was a 2-stroke. That prop is at the bottom of a local pond still.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Bambook7
My Feedback: (1)

Hello LSP972
and others!

I didn't see anybody mentioning the old good (perfect I should say..) OS 108 FSR (called also BX-1).
Many say it's the BEST engine OS have ever produced. (I have one NIB dedicated for a TOPFlite Mustang).

This engine is a real old-times powerhouse,
ringed, very reliable, "biffy", and have a wonderful grunt.. very durable and can swing large props (like 16x6) with no problems.
Great RPM range as well as lots of HP.. pure pearl! You can still find NIB like this going around (not mine.. )

Here's some specs:
Displacement 17.83 cc (1.088 cu.in.)
Bore 29.0mm (1.142 in.)
Stroke 27.0mm (1.063 in.)
Practical R.P.M. 2,000~16,000 r.p.m.
Power output 3.0 bhp / 16,000 r.p.m.
Weight 750g(26.5oz.)

Cheers,
Amnon.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:52 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madgadget
saito seems the logical choice for your intentions.
Yup, I have come to that conclusion.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:58 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bambook7
Hello LSP972
and others!

I didn't see anybody mentioning the old good (perfect I should say..) OS 108 FSR (called also BX-1).
I am very familiar with that engine; I had one on a ShowTime 90. Its just a big .40 two-banger; simple, easy to tune, runs like a scalded dog.

Unfortunately, finding one NIB or even in good condition would be problematical, I think. And I really want a four stroke. I've been looking for a NIB OS 1.20 Surpass; first or second edition. Absolutely no joy there.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by LSP972
I am very familiar with that engine; I had one on a ShowTime 90. Its just a big .40 two-banger; simple, easy to tune, runs like a scalded dog.

Unfortunately, finding one NIB or even in good condition would be problematical, I think. And I really want a four stroke. I've been looking for a NIB OS 1.20 Surpass; first or second edition. Absolutely no joy there.

Here's a pumped 1.20 surpass NIB. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...S+1.20+surpass
Old 09-19-2015, 05:20 PM
kenh3497

Check out the used engines here. http://www.brucercengines.com/four_stroke.html Also note the rating system he uses. If buying used, I think this is a pretty good source.

Ken
Old 09-20-2015, 05:20 AM
blw

They just don't seem to have any personality because they run so smooth. I guess I prefer something with a bit more character.
Oh, they have a distinct personality. And more than plenty enough character. Enough that you won't forget each one you ever may have. Not promising they are your cuppa tea though.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:22 AM
blw

Pete- do you guys have crumpets and tea hour every day?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
Oh, they have a distinct personality. And more than plenty enough character. Enough that you won't forget each one you ever may have. Not promising they are your cuppa tea though.
The ones I've heard run sound like a nice running 4-stroke engine. No hiccups, burps, or misses. Which is great for those that like that sort of thing. I don't hear and certainly didn't see anything that made me say "I need one".

I think its funny how many people have tried to convince me that I should try one... I just can't do it captain, I just don't have the power... LoL.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:58 PM
jeffie8696

Ken beat me to it, my friend Bruce has a wide variety of good used engines and he tests and rates every one if it isnt new in the box
Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by blw
Pete- do you guys have crumpets and tea hour every day?
If you mean me then no,i'm too busy trying to perfect the old man image.Right now i'm reclining in a famous(over here)jason rocker recliner,beige of course and wrapped up in an old beige dressing gown and slippers.The armrests have these neat beer holders and there's a spintop ashtray on the side.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:09 AM
the pope

If you mean me then no,i'm too busy trying to perfect the old man image.Right now i'm reclining in a famous(over here)jason rocker recliner,beige of course and wrapped up in an old beige dressing gown and slippers.The armrests have these neat beer holders and there's a spintop ashtray on the side.
Don't forget the stains and the boogers underneath !
Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM
blw

ouch......
Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 AM
Rudolph Hart

Sorry mate i meant it in fun.I'm only sixty one but sometimes feel like a cranky eighty one,reminds me of the time a sweet lookin little old dear was lined up behind a young feller at the local deli waiting to pay for her sunday paper.She started cracking his ankles with the walking stick she had and he got out of her way shoot,good thing i never feel like that.It's running saitos that keeps you half sane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.