Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Question for you older guys...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for you older guys...

…who remember OS quality "back in the day".

Getting back into glow power, after a few years out of the hobby, then a two-year voyage with e-power. That is pretty nice, but I miss the way the larger planes fly. I kept my engines and two glow planes, so I have those, but want to get a Super SkyBolt ARF from The Empire. I THINK my Laser 150 will fit in it, but I need a Plan B in case it doesn't.

Looking at the current crop of OS four strokes, I don't see much. That .95V should work, but I looked at one at the LHS, and was… underwhelmed. It simply isn't as "crisp" as the older Surpass engines I know. IOW, it looks and feels cheap. I flat wore out a 70 Surpass, foolishly sold a great running 1.20 Surpass non-pumped, and still have a .91 Surpass (silver rocker arm cover) in a model I'll be flying, along with a .48 and .52 Surpass that are of course too small.

From the current line-up, it appears that the .95V and the 1.20 pumped are the only two viable choices for the 'Bolt. I want NO part of the OS pumper (they never did get it right for a long time; may be okay now but I don't want to find out the hard way).

I don't buy used engines, don't want the potential headaches of a YS (been there, done that), never was impressed with Thunder Tiger four bangers, so right now I'm leaning heavily towards Saito.

Am I missing anything?

Old 09-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have fairly new OS .56 Alpha and it's a fine engine other than not having a vent tube. The .95v does have a vent tube, I wouldn't be a bit afraid of the .95v but I'm looking at he .62v. I don't what crisp looks like though. Saito is a fine choice too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OS .56.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2120092  
Old 09-15-2015, 03:14 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say that the 150, if it even fits, would be WAYYYYYY too much. I had an OS 120 pumper in mine and would go verticle out of sight at just over 1/2 throttle. I like to over power my models, and the 120 was just that. Over powered. The 95 would fly it just fine, but i liked it with the 120. Just my thoughts. Id recomend a Saito as well. Great quality, and Awesome sound and power. Oh, and welcome back buddy.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try A Valley View 20cc gas and once you try gas you truly won't look back! Much cleaner, much less fuel cost, no constant tuning and quick starts...........got rid of all glow stuff.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe I'm a purist, but while I was at the club field for the annual picnic, several guys were flying gas engines in some planes. While gas engines are king in yard equipment, I'd keep them there. Those planes with gas engines sound like high strung weedeaters. The glow 4-strokes sound much nicer - less "barky" than the gas engines. I would run a nice 4-stroke glow myself. If a guy wants better fuel economy and a little more power, run a glow engine on CDI ignition and regular glow fuel.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 PM
LSP972

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
I can say that the 150, if it even fits, would be WAYYYYYY too much. .
Nah. The Laser is a British engine, designed to run on FAI (no nitro) fuel. They are super smooth and super-dependable, but not anything resembling a powerhouse. They put out about the same power as a Jap 1.20.

Yeah, I'll probably go with a Saito 1.25 if the Laser doesn't fit. Its got a real bizarre muffler set-up, and the carburetor sticks out of the back of the jug at the top. Makes for some interesting installation issues. But it was a PERFECT match for the Goldberg Ultimate.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:13 PM
LSP972

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
While gas engines are king in yard equipment, I'd keep them there.
Yup. I had a 50cc Extra with a BME 50 for a while. Gasoline engines can indeed be less hassle than glow; until they're not, such as when the ignition module just suddenly… dies. And I keep my models in the house. I managed to keep my man-cave from smelling like my utility room by purging the airplane after each flying session, carefully plugging the exhausts, etc. About the only really positive aspect I noted with gasoline, aside from the cheaper fuel costs, was no clean-up.

Don't get me wrong, they fly great. But when I traded my pick-up truck in on an a cross-over SUV, the gasser had to go. I just replaced that SUV with an identical new one, I liked it so much. So, no gas for me, thank you.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

What about an Enya R120 or R155? I haven't run a 155, but the R120 is a powerhouse. The 155 replaced the 120 and is still made today.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:15 PM
LSP972

Is there even a U.S. distributor for Enya these days? Last I heard, MRC I believe had the franchise? Not sure, but the same folks controlled the importation of Hirobo helicopters, and service was non-existant.

Yes, they are excellent engines, but as I recall a bit on the heavy side compared to OS and Saito. And a 155 would probably definitely be too much engine. I know a Saito 150 certainly would- plus its a gas guzzler and a paint-shaker.

Looks like these guys may be the only U.S. "contact"; dunno how current this is. And you're right; no more 120, just the 155 in larger size.

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/Enya.html

Last edited by LSP972; 09-15-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:18 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Order Enya engines and parts direct from Ken Enya.

http://enya-engine.com
Old 09-15-2015, 06:31 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LSP972

If you don't buy used engines then you will be somewhat restricted on available engines as glow is slowly dying and manufacturers find it ever more difficult to invest the R&D into new designs. Used or new in box examples of many engines from the "Golden Age of Glow" are available at discount prices as many modelers move towards electrics, and gas and dump their glow stuff at "fire sale" prices.

In over 45 years of modeling I have only bought a few new engines, mostly Super Tigre. I have had such great luck with used engines I just can't justify spending the money for new.

Personally, I am having great success focusing on Enya 2 stroke engines in the .09 to .40 range. I have almost 40 engines in that group that were all purchased for between $15 and $40 each. All are in very good to new condition.

Flew a couple of my glow planes this afternoon for over two hours while two other modelers with gasoline powered planes watched as they fiddled with their engines. I left before they ever got them running, both guys bought the engines new by the way.

Plenty of nice glow engines out there, it's a shame to ignore them.

Last edited by 049flyer; 09-15-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Half of my Enya's I bought new, the rest used. The R120 I have was very slightly run - the muffler wasn't stained at all. But it was close enough to new for me.

Enya may be heavy, but they'll outrun an OS or Saito by a few thousand rpm and likely won't wear out in your lifetime. I think very highly of them. If the 120 is too big, the .90s come for sale all the time. The .90 crankcase is smaller than the R120; the original 120 shares the same case as the older .90, but about 1,000rpm slower than the R120 engine.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Hobbsy

Tim, you obviously haven't run a Saito or an OS fourstroke. I have owned all three and Laser.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
Tim, you obviously haven't run a Saito or an OS fourstroke. I have owned all three and Laser.
Nope. Been through this conversation a few times. I am what you call a non-conformist. I don't do what everyone else does. I don't buy into the idea that so many guys put Saito and OS on this magical pedestal that they're the best and I should have one... I entertained the idea of buying just one Saito - watched the classifieds for awhile until I found one of modest size (I think it was a .40) and was used and they wanted way too much money for it.... It sold in just a few days which surprised me until I remembered the cult-like following Saito has; or so it seems anyway. I found a .46 Enya that needed some TLC for a lot less money than the Saito 40 and it will handle a max rpm of 14k Too.

It's all good; I'm particularly fond of the rear camshafts of the Enya and the quirky front glow plug. I think Saito engines are ugly and OS slightly better looking but less refined. I do not like the prices they charge for OS or Saito - another reason I avoid them. Enya looks elegant yet robust. I just prefer them. No offense to any fans of the others.... When I showed up at the club field last week and heard a guy fire off a 4-stroke, I about fell over. I knew what it was by the way it sounded, not by seeing it. The guy was surprised I knew what it was.

I'm done.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-17-2015 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Changed info, added some too.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 AM
LSP972

Originally Posted by 049flyer
LSP972

If you don't buy used engines then you will be somewhat restricted on available engines as glow is slowly dying and manufacturers find it ever more difficult to invest the R&D into new designs. .
I hear you on that.

I wouldn't be adverse to buying a used two stroke; not much there to go wrong/have been abused. And abuse is pretty easy to spot.

Four strokes, on the other hand, are not so easy to detect potential issues with.

Ya know, my head is telling me to not get fancy with this renaissance of faith in wet power, and KISS with .40 size sport planes. But my heart wants a bipe with that sweet four banger sound.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:47 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

These days some of the best 'bargains' (almost darn give-aways) can be had at your local swap meets......many 'older modelers' are trimming back their inventory, or even getting out of the hobby, which results in tables containing numerous 2 and 4 stroke glo motors, many NIB.

I'm not sure how the change in seasons impacts you folks in the South who can pretty much fly all year long, but up here in the mid-west we'll be starting to wind down flying within the next month or so, hunkering down with our winter projects and looking for new/used equipment at the numerous swap meets planned for October and November............and if it's similar in the LA area then I'd say get to the swap meet early to get the best choice and price

Just my two cents
Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 AM
Hobbsy

I happen to be a fan of Enya engines also. Pictured is a Laser 1.80 V twin turning a Graupner 16x8 at 9,150, that's slightly below a Saito 1.50. I had an Enya 1.55 for a few years and it too was some weaker then the Saito 1.50. But the differences aren't great, as for longevity, I'd have to live too long to find out. You folks who go backwards when everyone else is going forward do make the world more interesting and I mean that in a good way.

Something I did in 2008.

Today I ran three different 50 sized fourstroke engines on WildCat 10% fuel/18% syn/castor blend.

Idle rpm all three 2,000

Enya .53TN, APC 12x6 rpm==9.550 Still in production. Stock Enya plug
OS .52, APC 12x6 rpm=====9,523 Last series of the .52, OS-f plug
Saito .50, APC 12x6 rpm====9,515 Last series of the .50, Fox Miracle

Name:	LASER 1.80.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2120158  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 09-16-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Order Enya engines and parts direct from Ken Enya.

http://enya-engine.com
I think they only have one engine available and that's the two-stroke .15 engine...
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got some of my Enya engines and Enya parts through a ebay store seller that goes by the handle Shtterman. He specializes in control line but also gets in RC engines and parts too. If he isn't advertising what you want, you can ask him. He'll get it in for you. Since he orders a lot regularly from Enya, he can save you on some of the shipping costs involved.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

I'd say the 1.20 Surpass is a good choice for the Skybolt.

I have a kit built Skybolt with a first generation, 25 year old unpumped 1.20. My model is heavier than the ARF will be and the power feels just right. It will fly at half to 2/3 throttle but it isn't overpowered by hammering it. Do use throttle management, you'll have power for great verticals and things will look right in level flight.

My 2 cents.

Dave
Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 PM
LSP972

Originally Posted by dbacque
I'd say the 1.20 Surpass is a good choice for the Skybolt.
I'd agree. Finding one would be the trick. I want absolutely nothing to do with a pumped engine, as noted in the OP. Perhaps the pickings are better on eBay, but the only one I saw here obviously flew in WW II. Anyway, lurking good deals aside, I simply don't want to take a chance on a used four stroke.

I may have been thinking too big, anyway. After studying the manual a bit, its obvious that my Laser is too "long"; once again, the bizarre carburetor and muffler positioning on that otherwise sterling engine causes me grief (having to buy a new engine, in this case). In the thread on this airplane, it was suggested to me that I not exceed a Saito 1.00, for several reasons… all which make sense.

The kit is ordered; once in hand, I'll have a better idea of what engine to get.

Appreciate all the suggestions/comments so far.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:03 AM
Hobbsy

The Saito 1.50's fuel economy falls right in line with all other big fourstrokes, 1 oz per minute, per cu. in. of displacement, at full throttle. The shake and guzzle only happens when the LS needle is not set correctly. A C&H Ignition system set at about 35 degrees btdc improves that about 10% and it runs even smoother. My 1.50 is a first run engine, (early) with 11.24 to 1 compression ratio, the C&H Ignition made it a ***** cat to start.

I just acquired a 1.20 Surpass that needed new bearings. It's a keeper too. Lots of possibilities LS.

Name:	OS 1.20 on Ultra Stick.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2120277  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 09-17-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, Saito owners aren't a cult, they just like those engines. The cult engines could possibly be, depending on your viewpoint, the OS 46FX, Saito 56, and maybe a few of the Fox engines. I'm sure others have their ideas about how we feel about certain engines. I know I left out a lot that probably have cult like followings.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
Tim, Saito owners aren't a cult, they just like those engines. The cult engines could possibly be, depending on your viewpoint, the OS 46FX, Saito 56, and maybe a few of the Fox engines. I'm sure others have their ideas about how we feel about certain engines. I know I left out a lot that probably have cult like followings.
Barry -

I should have said 'cult-like' following. Sorry I misspoke - I changed my post. I like being in the minority with what engines I choose to use and collect. I am not a bandwagon rider, so I will never own a Saito. I'm just not into what everyone else does/uses and I'm okay with that.

I refuse to get a Facebook account too despite everyone I know harassing me to get one. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spork. LoL.

I look forward to seeing what kind of weird looks I get when I show up at the field to fly a Mojo .25 with a K&B .28. LoL. Ought to be interesting.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-17-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Hobbsy

If the Mojo engine has the MOJO that's what counts, my Snorer is not a snorer, it runs very well. It was a gift from a friend and I wll never part with it.

Name:	Snorer 55 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2120292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snorer 55 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2120293  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.