Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

info on ASP motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:37 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question info on ASP motors

thinking about getting the ASP 28...? is should i or stay away.........been told some good some bad......some say the price is to low to be a good motor......whats your thoughts
Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

I've got a couple a.bunch of .25's and a 46 and some 1.08's. one of the 25's will outrun a os 25fx never had a problem with them.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:29 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

I've had/ have several both 2 and four strokes. A regular flying partner does as well. Never had a problem. I think the only thing wrong with them is what's been generated in the rumor mill. My bet is there's a slim likelyhood that anyone that speaks poorly of them has any first hand experience.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:50 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handyman
thinking about getting the ASP 28...? is should i or stay away.........been told some good some bad......some say the price is to low to be a good motor......whats your thoughts
I have a .61 and a 1.08. No problem except they don't like more than 5% nitro. I tried 15% on the .61. It overheated, would not run right, and blew several plugs. Went to 5% and also home brew 0% and they run great.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

They must be decent enough... Some OS engine users replace the OS piston and liner with an ASP unit when the OS parts peel. Not that many models crossover and fit though...

I don't have any ASP or Magnum engines yet, though I'm vying to get my hands on some at some point - especially an unrun ASP .12. With some mods, they can be made to really howl.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:22 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have the .28, but a few smaller ones. They seem fairly good, to real good in the case of the blue head one. I would think twice about a used one, or the older models. Most are a copy of the last model OS, so the design is fine, and the machining quality has improved a lot over the last 3 - 5 years. All motors have some kind of flaw, even the famous overpriced OS. Same company as Magnum, Sanye SC.....
Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

My experience with the .61 and .75 ASP engines is that they run best on low (5%) nitro or no nitro fuel, anything higher causes poor running and most times overheating.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:22 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=spaceworm;12108053]I have a .61 and a 1.08. No problem except they don't like more than 5% nitro. I tried 15% on the .61. It overheated, would not run right, and blew several plugs. Went to 5% and also home brew 0% and they run great.[/QUOTE

I can furnish a NIB ASP 12RC from the 80's when they were a new brand in the USA. It at least it can show you how far they have come .

Dennis

us
Old 10-03-2015, 02:21 PM
CLBetten

I run Sig Champion 10 percent in everything. My first ASP 1.08 many years ago definitely had high compression. It did not like nitro. 0-5 percent was perfect.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:14 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by aspeed
I don't have the .28, but a few smaller ones. They seem fairly good, to real good in the case of the blue head one. I would think twice about a used one, or the older models. Most are a copy of the last model OS, so the design is fine, and the machining quality has improved a lot over the last 3 - 5 years. All motors have some kind of flaw, even the famous overpriced OS. Same company as Magnum, Sanye SC.....
Well, if it wasn't for the "overpriced" OS, there wouldn't be the cheap COPY. It costs time and money for R&D to design and develop something. Then someone comes along and copies it without having to do all the R&D, so of course they can sell it cheaper.

The OS isn't overpriced, the ASP is cheap because they ripped off another companies design.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:22 PM
tl671
My Feedback: (1)

Have any of the guys having problems with higher-ish nitro content tried adding head shims?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:09 PM
CLBetten

Did Adolf Schnurle work for O.S. ?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:58 AM
aspeed

The biggest innovation that OS did was to twist the cylinder a bit, so the wrist pin would not hang up on the ports. Other companies at the time were using a G clip, which was a more expensive solution, although they let go sometimes. I think OS had a lot of testing done mostly to save $$, as well as 'not to lose' performance. The LA series I have noticed really can not be improved upon with normal upgrades like bigger carb, more compression etc. They got rid of the boost port, and it saved money, and gave 'the same' performance, squared the head, and cyl. to save weight and $$$. Yes, the R&D is a cost, but pays off in savings later. I think Rossi deserves more credit than OS, as there was less sales to make up for all their effort. The Chinese motors, well, most of the savings are the pay rate, and the artificial money they set up. CNC machines have lowered the cost astronomically for any country that makes stuff. It used to be 14 hours to one for a CNC vs conventional machines. I would guess it is double now. I will stick to the 'overpriced' OS stuff, but give them credit for the warranty, or at least thinking about it. Oh, yes, I think higher nitro would work in a lot of motors if shims were used, and think they should have a variety included in the box. Some are set up too safe, because of warranty work, and some blow plugs and get a bad rep.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:28 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by tl671
Have any of the guys having problems with higher-ish nitro content tried adding head shims?
I tried to find head shims for my .61, .91, and 1.08, but could not. Anyone have a source? Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-04-2015, 07:44 AM
aspeed

Just look on other manufacturer's sites. The bore is what you need to look for as a comparison. Maybe an OS or whatever may have something locally. I have made my own with a compass, but anything over .005" beer can is hard to cut, and it is hard to get the diameter perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	compass.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2123447  

Last edited by aspeed; 10-04-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I am not an OS guy. Their engines are a ripoff if you ask me. Warranty? Uh huh..

Easy to run for the most part? Sure. Push them hard and it's a gamble how long they'll last. I'd take an ASP with its questionable QC over an OS any day and I've never even had an ASP!

Nothing wrong with these 'clone' and 'copy' engines. The overall concept of a 2-stroke engine hasn't changed in a LONG time. About the only things that can be 'copied' is maybe the external styling and perhaps the carburetor design. Given their (still) questionable quality carburetors, I'd suspect if they did copy an OS, they did a horrible job. The Chinese are very good at copying things, so I'd not read into "they're just copies" *too* much. Just my two cents. Don't forget they're true ABC too, none of that ABN garbage.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 10-04-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 AM
psgugrad

Originally Posted by handyman
Definitely a buy. I have one that I would sell you cheap, not because it's a dud (far from it) but because our new field's a tad rough and not good for a small airplane. However, the motor's so cheap online that it wouldn't be worth either or our time for me to box it up, charge shipping, etc....

I have run mine on my 0% nitro home brew fuel and it runs well. Many ASP's in my experience run well on 0% fuel and I have a .46 that is a gem. Frankly, I see little reason to buy an OS these days other than Tower's excellent support...with Tower, you can return the damn thing if you change your mind!

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:57 AM
psgugrad

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I am not an OS guy. Their engines are a ripoff if you ask me. Warranty? Uh huh..

Easy to run for the most part? Sure. Push them hard and it's a gamble how long they'll last. I'd take an ASP with its questionable QC over an OS any day and I've never even had an ASP!

Nothing wrong with these 'clone' and 'copy' engines. The overall concept of a 2-stroke engine hasn't changed in a LONG time. About the only things that can be 'copied' is maybe the external styling and perhaps the carburetor design. Given their (still) questionable quality carburetors, I'd suspect if they did copy an OS, they did a horrible job. The Chinese are very good at copying things, so I'd not read into "they're just copies" *too* much. Just my two cents. Don't forget they're true ABC too, none of that ABN garbage.
You hit the nail on the head...absurd for them to be charging that kind of $$$ for an engine with a nickel liner. From what I understand, a big part of the reason why they are overpriced is due to their long-standing relationship with Hobbico. I believe that Hobbico is the excusive US importer for OS and even if you buy one from someone other than Hobbico (who also owns Tower), Hobbico gets a piece of the action.

The same holds true for Futaba products. I'm more willing to pay up for Futaba as I've been flying for 20 years exclusively with Futaba and have never had a radio problem (plus, how often do we buy radios?)

If one wants a REAL top-quality engine and is willing to pay up, IMO the only engine out there worth paying up for is an Enya...REAL old-school Japanese quality that you don't even see in Toyotas any more!
Old 10-04-2015, 02:22 PM
CLBetten

I don't see the point in modifying an engine to allow it to run on more expensive fuel. Regardless of the simplicity of the modification.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:19 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

My 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 has that old style Toyota quality. It is probably on par with the 93 Tacoma I bought new and sold recently. I think if you blindfolded me until I was in each truck and let me drive them around I would pick the 2012 as having the best quality, best fit, best engineering, etc. The 2012 is a big step up in quality, imo. I don't know about the others in Toyota's line, but I'm real happy with the truck.

I think people overlook that ASP is only one of several brand from the same big company. ASP is a bit like OS in that the company line has had some winners and some losers.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:10 PM
aspeed

Toyotas are made just down the highway from me. Not really Japanese, but a fairly good car that costs a bit extra too. Sort of like OS I suppose. OS farms out the .46 AX to China now too, so really it is possibly ASP/Sanye? Just with the price hike, and maybe factory support. Like Magnum supports the ASP with the Magnum name. I still buy lots of OS stuff. Just not new. ASP I try to buy new. Then there is the Supertiger that was made in China. I am sorry about that loss. I think they were still a pretty good motor. Things change now.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

I have run both the .25 and .28 in R/C combat for years with no problems. Have a friend that has a .28 that will out run an OS FX .25
Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by psgugrad
You hit the nail on the head...absurd for them to be charging that kind of $$$ for an engine with a nickel liner. From what I understand, a big part of the reason why they are overpriced is due to their long-standing relationship with Hobbico. I believe that Hobbico is the excusive US importer for OS and even if you buy one from someone other than Hobbico (who also owns Tower), Hobbico gets a piece of the action.

The same holds true for Futaba products. I'm more willing to pay up for Futaba as I've been flying for 20 years exclusively with Futaba and have never had a radio problem (plus, how often do we buy radios?)

If one wants a REAL top-quality engine and is willing to pay up, IMO the only engine out there worth paying up for is an Enya...REAL old-school Japanese quality that you don't even see in Toyotas any more!
Just a little bit contradictory.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:57 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r

We all know you hate OS. Or anything that is a so called "brand" name.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by drac1
We all know you hate OS. Or anything that is a so called "brand" name.
I don't like hyped up junk. If it were the '80s or earlier, I might have a different viewpoint. Today.... For what you pay and what you get? Underwhelming by a mile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.