Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

info on ASP motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone have thoughts on the ASP S52A or S52AII?[h=3]A few years ago I was seriously considering one till I read that the port angles were maybe to aggressive and flooding the glow plug on acceleration. I went with a different engine for that reason. But that was maybe 5 or six years ago. So just wondering if a ASP S52A or S52AII should go back on the buy list? The S52AII is 4 bucks cheaper. Is one a new design or better than the other?[/h]
Ken
Old 10-05-2015, 11:51 AM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was flying two cycle glo some twenty plus years ago , when ASP first came out ,and still do fly
I had a 46 and a 75 ,that performed great for me and I fly all on 15% Morgan Omega
The biggest problem with the engines then was the poor quality control from china
Some engines ran great and others did not
The key to running the cheeper brand ,other than OS was to disassemble
the engine before you attemp to run it
You are looking for visual internal imperfections in the machining of the parts
Found deep gouges in the crankcase ,that should not be
Very often there would be metal shavings etc ,that should be cleaned out , or poorly cut metal
By doing this , if imperfections are found ,---you can return the engine --as it is not run or seen fuel
The engines then ran well for very long periods of time ( use 20% castor oil )
In general the engines put out a bit less power than an OS of the same size
OS still makes the --best carb in the business --for two cycle glo engines ( many others leak air - that cause engine damage )
I really enjoyed my 75 ASP in my 60 size stik ,for many years ( still have 4 of them)
I now have an OS 75 ax in the stik now and the difference in power is overwellmingly great
The ASP 1.08 is really not a 1.08 , but really a 1.05 displacement ,per magazine testing
i do own every OS engine from 46 to 1.08
After over 20 years of flying two cycle glo ,my opinion is to not got with the cheeper engine copies out there ,and add a bit more dollars to your purchase of the ASP or other cheep engine ,and get the OS for a two cycle flying
Do not overlook the OS 1.08 ,as this engine is a very special performer ,and has been called " one of the greatest glo engines ever made " by Frank Tiano ,who is the CEO of Top Gun ,and is an excellent quarter scale or 27% scale engine ,for those sizes
For those that do not have a lot of glo engine experience ,i would stay away from any of the cheeper glo engines ,as handling them has a very definite learing curve
For that reason ,there is a good chance you will damage your first glo engine ,by running it to lean or having air get into the engine ( lean run ) that will cause a lot of heat to build up damaging the piston and liner
Try to stay with ringed engines ,as replacing a ring ,when the engine shows signs of wear ,will often bring the engine back to its original performance level ,while an ABC design will be ready for the trash and done
Old 10-05-2015, 12:00 PM
tony0707

The ST 50 ,has to be one of the strongest engines in its size
The break in period on the bench is a bit longer ,to get it to idle and run top end , but the engine get real close to 60 size power
One of the exceptionally powerful engines for its size ,and one of the best engines to put in a 40 size airframe ,as the 60 size engines get to heavy for a 40 size application
Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Been flying Magnum/ASP engines almost exclusively. Started with a .61, then a .46 then a couple of .52 4s and a 91 4s. The 46 and 61 are about 10 years old and I fly the snot out of them. The 4s are very nice running engines. No issues at all. I have a couple of OS 2s and the Magnum/ASP are every bit the match for them.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 AM
tony0707

Check out - My Gallery - to see some of the --Best two cycle glo engine , aircraft avaiable for the last 20 years
Been flying for the last 20 years a lot , mostly at the Cedar Key Aerodrome on Long Island NY
Been there done that for the last 20years , and with --only Two Cycle Glo Engines
I find them to be great fun and keeps the hobby cost down ,as well