Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Clarence Lee K&B .61 vibration issue

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Clarence Lee K&B .61 vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:38 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are two of my 61s The twister with long pipe has been in my big used engine box for a while now. so she is a little dirty. It was never a reving engine with that pipe but i did work it some and added a Super tiger carb to it. only gain a 1000 or so but is a real torque machine with a 13x8 prop.
The other one is my new one in my collection. its the 6550 version with new carb style for back then it has an aluminum piston with a standard ring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160220_202953_resized.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2148589   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160220_202344_resized.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2148590  
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 PM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is an aluminum piston with ring in a chrome plated steel cylinder. They are excellent very long lasting engines and although an old design, the K&B .61 has been my favorite .60 size engine for the 35 years I have flown rc. I currenly own two of them.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rebuilt a 61 and installed an OS46 carb , runs great pulls my Nexstar trainer awesome
Old 01-03-2017, 09:53 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to balance the spinner as well as the prop

To make life easy run the-- lighter weight --Higley nut to hold the prop on
Able to change a broken prop Fast when needed

You need to try an OS61sf or an ASP 75 fsr or an OS75 ax Or an OS 91FX in a 60 size airframe
Its power that makes thes airframe sore
You SB in for an exciting experience coming from the K&B 61

My K&B Sportster 45 is my own very favorite engine in its size
There very --light weight --and strong power is outstanding
Be Warned you need extensive glo engine experience to prevent the engine ( especally the muffler ) from simply falling apart ( get out the JBWeld and blue loctight ) for this one to get reliable

I bought the engine and a few sevos in an airplane for 15 dollars
When i ran the engine the sound of the engine reminded me of my very favorite U Control engines i flew and loved ( johnson 35 )
It breaks into this high RPM Scream that is just an Amazing sound to my ears
So that started my love affair with this engine
i must have 100 hrs on the engine with 15% morgan omegs fuel
It was in my 40 size Midwest Sweet Stik that has thousands of flights on it
Just remmeber i warned you it not that user friendly

It is a bushed bearing engine with an aluminum alloy crankcase and piston
i blew out the head gasket on my first run
Not wanting to spend a penny on such a cheep engine i JB welded the head to the crankase
This made the head and cylinder one piece - like a Satio or offenhauser cylinder head design
i do think this could have incresed the compression slightly
Never caused a single run issue
i have changed the rod a very long time ago when i had to much fee play at the cylinders top dead center
Some engines are just Fun to fly and hear in the sky

Enjoy
Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

So my Lee K&B .61 has been running pretty good for quite a while. Last Sunday I got in a couple of flights with no issues but when I tried to start it for a third flight the weirdest thing happened. It would start then backfire and loosen the prop. It did this a couple of times. Then when I turned the prop over it was squirting fuel out of the carb like a garden hose! I scratched my head for a while, turned it over and drained a bunch of fuel out of it. Then I realized that maybe something happened to one of the needles that was causing all the fuel to pour into the engine. Turns out the low speed needle had nearly backed out and fuel was free flowing in. I put it up for the day then when I got home I put some blue Loctite on the slow speed needle threads and screwed it back in.

Never had something crazy like this happen before.

carl