Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Is Cool Power All Synthetic really any cleaner than fuel with Castor oil in it?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Is Cool Power All Synthetic really any cleaner than fuel with Castor oil in it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Nitrovein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I had a good hunch you would come back with your all knowing Wizard of Oz attitude. To be honest I pretty much baited you on this one.
Was that for me?? Just trying to give some friendly advice...
Old 02-16-2016, 10:18 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, this thread has wandered way off course. The poor OP asked if Cool Power was easier to clean than other fuels. I think that question got answered a long time ago.

Something I learned from sites like this one is that some people have a different style of writing than others. That is the reason for most of the heated arguments most of the time, IMHO. I bet if we all met together in person, we would get along very well. Don't you think?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Nitrovein

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Yep, this thread has wandered way off course. The poor OP asked if Cool Power was easier to clean than other fuels. I think that question got answered a long time ago.

Something I learned from sites like this one is that some people have a different style of writing than others. That is the reason for most of the heated arguments most of the time, IMHO. I bet if we all met together in person, we would get along very well. Don't you think?
Amen!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

I bet we would really get along if we were together with some engines, both on the bench and on airplanes, trying out different tuning, fuel etc. Then we would love and respect each other. Because I think all who have posted have lots of useful info.

Not trying to be arrogant, just I know what I know and nothing will change my mind except maybe some test results that I can be sure were not pencil whipped. Using big names (as though anybody in the model industry is a big name) or declarations (even from big names) will not likely change my mind.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You can't hear minor detonation, you only know when a colder plug improves power. I don't care who you fly with the YS is not a racing engine per say and the manufacture may not be inclined to modify the engine. Or somebody is but not telling. I don't care if you say John Force says otherwise. It doesn't prove a thing to me.

Actually the YS 115 WS is manufactured speciffically for warbird racing, the WS stands for warbird special. I completly understand about not proving anything to you, impossible to do when someone has a closed mind and refuses to accept new information. My goal today was not to prove anything to you but more along the lines of proving that when it comes to our model engines you are a fraud. Mission accomplished. I'm done here, no need to reply I'm not coming back to this thread.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

I completly understand about not proving anything to you, impossible to do when someone has a closed mind and refuses to accept new information.
You never provided new information. I race toy planes and therefore what I say goes in not information.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Calvinman

Awsome video Speedracer, I really enjoyed that, it must get the adrenalin going every time.

Calvi
Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ66l7nQOls
great video if close your eyes bad blurry video.

60% nitro 14x14 prop OS F medium heat range plug. I have tried other plugs and no change in power or RPM but a change in how long the plug lasted. As you lean in on the heat in the chamber changes and the close you get to being to lean the timing of the engine changes in the fact of ignition timing.
I like how sport shows videos of turbo charged engine, top fuel, rockets, racing boat engines and even train engines to show how model airplane engines work best lol. Its like me show a video of net is better at fishing than a fishing pole when asking how to keep your fishing pole clean.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:00 PM
airraptor

my favorit part of that video is the sound at the 1:35-1:38 where it crackles and echos over the ground.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 AM
LarsL

Pope,

That is a nice friendly post you came in here with... basically saying that Spedracerntrixie and his friends are down on the totem pole, as you put it, because you have never heard of Richard Verano and that they are part of a racing team wearing the same uniforms.

If you perhaps know Chris Callow, why don't you ask him who Richard Verano is? I suspect they may even be friends since they have raced each other and the racing brotherhood is generally one of friendship.

Then you have the need to make the statement that the 4-Strokes Speedracerntrixie are running are lame compared to what Chris runs in F3D. It's called different classes of racing, so your statement itself is pretty lame.

Lars
Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Calvinman

Wow airraptor, I gotta get me a 4 stroke, my 2 stroke .46 just does not cut it in the noise department. How many G's do your aircraft pull on those turns?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM
speedracerntrixie

Well I wasn't going to come back but it looks like there are some questions about the warbird racing. First off as of right now it is pretty much a west coast thing. That is soon changing as this year it will be a Nats event. By the end of the summer there will be a national champion. The airplanes are WW2 heavy metal fighters which means overall they have a good amount of surface area which means drag. That's where the 4 stroke comes into play. The additional torque is required to overcome the drag and additional weight of the airplane. A typical warbird race plane has approx 550 sq in wing and weighs 7-7.5 lbs. in spite of this we are within 25mph of the F3D airplanes. We estimate that some are pulling up to 30 G in a turn. Pictured is the wing spar and retract mount design in my Macchi 202.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	970.5 KB
ID:	2148023  
Old 02-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Calvinman

Wow that's a few G's! One of the funnest RC days I have had was back in the early 90's when our club prez who had a diesel powered ducted fan and I had a hundred mile an hour(or so) Ultrasport decided to set up some imaginary pylons and have a race, the ducted fan would get ahead in the straight away and my Ultra would claw it's way in front on the turns, wow what a rush. Looks like a substantial spar, does it run like that all the way with the front and back of the foam core glued to the spar?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 PM
airraptor

Tool
troll
Old 02-18-2016, 04:52 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Two shots of Windex and two paper towels will do the job in 20 seconds or so, no engineering degree needed. The full synthetic is easier to remove.

I never understood the whines about lube oil on the plane, maybe that's because I grew up in western Pa. shoveling cow **** from behind 125 Holstein cows or having grease up to my elbows from installing new M&W sleeves and pistons in a worn out tractor engine.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:07 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Two shots of Windex and two paper towels will do the job in 20 seconds or so, no engineering degree needed. The full synthetic is easier to remove.

I never understood the whines about lube oil on the plane, maybe that's because I grew up in western Pa. shoveling cow **** from behind 125 Holstein cows or having grease up to my elbows from installing new M&W sleeves and pistons in a worn out tractor engine.
My glow planes are always cleaner than my gassers since I have to de-slime them everytime. The gassers never get cleaned and they collect dirt and dust. I would rather put the extra effort and get them nice and shiny.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've just been following the "fire works" show. Thought that I would throw in that Chris Callow did not compete in the Dubai World Aviation Games. His close friend, and fellow Australian Bruce DeChastel did compete, and won, but like so many things there is a lot more to the story. Then Randy Bridge (USA) was the FAI Champion at the just completed Pylon World Championship's. A couple of other clarifications: The Dubai pylon event was not F3D, but rather a slight variation of Q-40. They allowed the DKT, with the Nelson, and Jett engine, a few additional airplanes, and used the FAI F3D race course, as well as 15% nitro fuel.
In the pylon racing community some competitors are recognized by their first name. Richard is one of them. Some others were/are: Terry (Prather), Johnny (McDermott), Dave (Shadell), Chris (Callow), Randy (Bridge), Bob (Smith), and Richard (Verano) to name only a few.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:38 AM
airraptor

Greg I know I was fishing per say to see what the pope had to say. F3D champ race was in Check republic where USA won the event. Gino had set a world record on the very first day and the people there said no way and that the race shouldnt count lol. Gino is darn fast then later on Randy set a world record by beating gino by .005 of a second.
Yes bruce won at Dubai and I think they call that F3T or something.
Greg you should check out our warbird racing at the NATS this year or grab a plane and come race with us you would have a blast.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:32 PM
GREG DOE

Don't think I'll do a War-bird for the Nats, but I'd like to watch. I still believe that a 2 stroke should be able to compete with the 4 strokes, but it's going to take some work, since the DF engines produce their peak power at too high an RPM for the war-bird air-frame. Just my opinion. In fact that's probably why the 4 strokes have dominated the event. They make a lot of horse power at lower RPM's.
I won't even begin to get into the nitro controversy, but I will note that those of us who have been running glow engines for 60 years refer to it as vitamin "N".
25 years ago I loaned Bruce D. a 15 size 1/4 Midget for the 1991 Nats, and he managed to finish 4th with an airplane that he didn't even get a trim flight on. I only mention that to back up the fact that I've been knowing a lot of these guys for a long time. Interestingly Bruce and I are both Mode 1 flyers, which has no bearing at all, in this thread. Maybe if I have done anything, I might have helped defuse the war of words, by diverting the topic. Keep it civil. Finally, 60 years ago my dad told me that you can't tell an engineer anything, and he worked in engineering at Vickers Inc. My personal work experience at Nissan Motor Manufacturing Corp. parallels dad's theory.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 AM
speedracerntrixie

Greg, I would have to put you into the same category as the fellows that you previously mentioned. Back in the early to late '80s I was fortunate enough to race with guys like Jim Kelly, Paul Benezra, Jeff Carpenter, Bob Dible and Rusty VanBaron. There I go name dropping again LOL, back then I would read everything I could put my hands on. In those magazines your name was seen often. IMO what all these guys did to promote pylon racing was nothing short of phenominal. I learned something from all of them including you and in most cases it was not something I could have found in a book or in a classroom. More so these were all guys that stood out above and beyond the sport and were great mentors to the 3 kids that comprised of myself and a couple others that put together Q500 airplanes out of whatever materials would could afford.

The first 3 years I did warbird racing it was with a 2 stroke. I was competitive in silver class in Sacramento and won a couple season championships in the SF Bay Area Triangle series. It took going to a 4 stroke to be competitive in the Sacramento gold class. I got close running a Rossi pattern engine with a long pipe. That setup would spin an APC 11X11 at 12K on the ground.

As for the engineering thing. I have been fortunate to have worked for LM, L3 and now a large producer of space energenics, the common thread in all these companies is that the very successful engineers have always been the ones that went out to the production floor looking for feedback. They usually give us a great starting point but know that things will need some fine tuning. The engineers that place themselves higher then other people seem to be here today and gone tomorrow.

my wife found this picture on Facebbok this morning, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by IBThomas; 03-18-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 PM
GREG DOE

Thank you for the gracious comments.We had a lot of fun back then, but still having fun now.
Yes, our best engineers were the ones who asked questions on the floor. I was in Layout, so we interacted with the engineers on nearly every job. Some requested layouts, and picked up the reports. The good ones asked questions. The picture post was funny. I'm Catholic, but in no way offended. He's a good guy, but doesn't have a handle on world politics. Tonight I get to go watch my brain damaged grandson ride the bulls. Wish him luck.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 PM
speedracerntrixie

Fat bully LOL now thats funny but does back up the fact you have no clue. As for my accomplishments I will kep them to myself, you are not entitled to know any more about me.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:40 PM
GREG DOE

I'm gob smacked! I don't know what to say? Sounds like someone didn't take their medication this year. Thank goodness I didn't mention any of my accomplishments, and contributions to RC, which are totally unimportant, and trivial. You just can't please everyone when you disagree, but you should still be a gentleman about it.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:03 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WHEW -- getting kind of smelly . . .

Well I had to clear the air out a little bit?

If your post is missing, it got placed out of view!

I suggest everyone to take their marbles home until things cool off.

Tomorrow is another day and we'll all still be friends?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just one day and all craziness breaks loose. If moderators come down hard on a member or two this is a good example of why that happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.