Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Old super tigre head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:43 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old super tigre head bolts

Has anyone ever changed the engine head bolts on their old super tigres to allen heads so that you can get the screws out and in without stripping them or bending a fin with the screwdriver. I have found that the screws are metric 4 x .7 pitch 25mm long. It will be a little easier for me to get a better even torque on all the bolts vs the original ones that you have to push in to keep the dirver engaged harder than you twist. The back plate bolts are the same diameter so I might as well switch them out too so that one wrench does them both. I found the replacement bolts down at the local hardware store and let me tell you, they are committing highway robbery with those prices. The metric ones are twice the price of the standard ones to boot. Can you believe that it took almost a 5 dollar bill for 8 small screws. I might have to build myself a foundry.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

https://www.microfasteners.com/scm40...ric-alloy.html

How about this
Old 06-16-2016, 06:06 PM
fiery

Wait until you experience the financial joy of purchasing Whitworth or BA ...
Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try here. Dan.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head...crews/=12vwxiq
Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 AM
flybyjohn

Thanks guys for the links. I know they can be had for a lot cheaper other places but when you only need to buy 4 of one size, buying 20 - 50 of one size and then paying shipping charges on top of the really good price for the screws, ends up costing a little more than just biting the bullet and spending the money locally. If the size was a more common size that I would use for other things, I could see buying the extra but I am not really the metric bolt type of guy.

I was just surprised that the 8-32 bolt at the store was .30 each and the 4mm x .7 was .60. It is basically the same size bolt, just different threads. Why the difference in price. Supply and demand I guess.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:12 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I somehow got a hold of a set of BA taps and dies. I can't imagine why anyone would use them, unless it is on some very old machine that came from England. Really I never even heard of them. Whitworth, Acme, Stub Acme, yes.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Retail big box stores make a killing selling one screw at a time for $.50-.60 or more. My LHS sells screws for $.20-.25 each. Most of the ST engines I've changed screws in were standard metric screws of typical pitch. I just brought the engine with me and test fit the screws on the spot. Some older engines have weird pitch screws that they don't have, so those would have to be sourced elsewhere.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:19 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flybyjohn
Thanks guys for the links. I know they can be had for a lot cheaper other places but when you only need to buy 4 of one size, buying 20 - 50 of one size and then paying shipping charges on top of the really good price for the screws, ends up costing a little more than just biting the bullet and spending the money locally. If the size was a more common size that I would use for other things, I could see buying the extra but I am not really the metric bolt type of guy.

I was just surprised that the 8-32 bolt at the store was .30 each and the 4mm x .7 was .60. It is basically the same size bolt, just different threads. Why the difference in price. Supply and demand I guess.
I bought a large package of 3mm x 30mm bolts. It is amazing how many I have used up over the last few years. They are a common size muffler bolt, and the Phillips heads always are mangled on the OS motors. I need some M 2.5 size ones too. I have not come across any of those in the longer size locally. I guess mail order is the way to go now. Kind of sad that no one stocks things any more. A large hardware chain here (Canadian Tire) made an executive decision to not stock any nuts or bolts. I could not believe that.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:28 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

20 is not a problem, you'll use them over time for something.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:49 PM
flybyjohn

Heres my problem, I get extra and put them where I can find them when I need them....then when I need them I can't find them or if forgot I had them and need to find new ones again. Isn't that the way it always goes.