Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

High temps during break-in

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Murtasma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
By only changing the high speed setting and having to use the throttle to get the engine started tells me you still need to adjust the idle mixture. If you have to open the throttle in order to get the engine started and keep it running, your idle mixture is too rich.

Taking the readings at the glow plug is good, but if the gun you end up finally using has an adjustment for the surface being tested, it may give funky results set for aluminum as you're likely to get a reading off the glow plug itself. This is neither here nor there as most infrared temp guns should read relatively close to one another. I use a radio shack temp gun and when I take readings, I put the end of the gun right on top of the head aimed at the plug as it sounds like you were doing too. The accuracy improves greatly when you're closer to the object being tested.

I would lean lean your low speed so you can start the engine without adding throttle and have the car keep running. Sometimes when cold they may quit, so once the engine starts, drive it around to get some heat in the engine. Once it warms up some, then you can start tuning it. Have the engine completely warmed up before making final adjustments. When you tune the engine, set the high speed for good throttling - smooth power and smooth revving to WOT. Note the temp - if it gets real hot (above 250F), richen the main needle. Once it's stabilized on top, set the idle mixture so it will idle nice and low and throttle cleanly. You want it to be slightly loaded up after 15-20 seconds. It should burble a little bit, but not flame out. If it flames out, lean the idle 1/16th turn and run a WOT pass and test the idle again. Once you get close, make your final needle adjustments when at 1/2-1/3 tank of fuel so when the tank is full it's rich and tank empty is pretty much at the peak setting. This will give you good performance and not run the engine too lean and hot.
Thanks for the detailed information. Now that I have at least 5 tanks into the engine I think it's time to start tuning the engine. I'll let you know how it goes weather permitting today. I haven't really messed with the LSN, IDLE or Mid Speed Needles they should be set to their stock positions right now. I think your right that I need to lean out my LSN some. I'm not sure how to tune the Mid Speed needle. My idle gap is currently at like .5 mm but I have no way to tell exactly. I do have a set of calipers. Got any idea's on how I can verify the idle gap is correct? It looks almost closed just a tiny bit cracked. I had to open the throttle to start last time because I think the engine was just way too rich to start and didn't have enough O2 going inside.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't believe there's a midrange adjustment on that carburetor, but I could be wrong. Either way, you wouldn't need to mess with it if it has one. The low speed needle is in the end of the slide valve, the high speed on the fuel inlet. The only other screw that should be present is the idle stop screw - usually on the back of the carb towards the cylinder. Measuring the idle gap can be tricky, but I would see if you have some sewing needles or pins around. Measure it with a caliper and shave it down if needed with a dremel or piece of sandpaper. Paper clips will work too if you can shave the end down a little. Chances are based on your description, your idle gap is probably pretty close to where it should be.

New engine or old, it should start and idle relatively easily. If it doesn't, I never hesitate to lean the needle down a little at a time until it does. Some higher strung engines take longer to break in which can exaggerate the problem, but I doubt yours is such a case.

I just looked at the carb online and it indeed does have a midrange adjustment screw in the end of the carb where the fuel inlet and high speed needle holder is. Don't adjust that screw - it's rarely if ever necessary. Just worry about adjusting the idle mixture and main/high speed needle valves and idle stop as needed.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 08-04-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Murtasma

I don't believe there's a midrange adjustment on that carburetor, but I could be wrong. Either way, you wouldn't need to mess with it if it has one. The low speed needle is in the end of the slide valve, the high speed on the fuel inlet. The only other screw that should be present is the idle stop screw - usually on the back of the carb towards the cylinder. Measuring the idle gap can be tricky, but I would see if you have some sewing needles or pins around. Measure it with a caliper and shave it down if needed with a dremel or piece of sandpaper. Paper clips will work too if you can shave the end down a little. Chances are based on your description, your idle gap is probably pretty close to where it should be.

New engine or old, it should start and idle relatively easily. If it doesn't, I never hesitate to lean the needle down a little at a time until it does. Some higher strung engines take longer to break in which can exaggerate the problem, but I doubt yours is such a case.

I just looked at the carb online and it indeed does have a midrange adjustment screw in the end of the carb where the fuel inlet and high speed needle holder is. Don't adjust that screw - it's rarely if ever necessary. Just worry about adjusting the idle mixture and main/high speed needle valves and idle stop as needed.
Ok sounds great I'll try the paper clip method to measure my idle gap and try leaning out my LSN some to see if that helps with my idle. Hopefully after this next tank I can get her running steady. Thanks for the valuable help!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:01 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Measure the paper clip first to see how thick it is. I think the smaller clips are probably 1mm thick or thereabouts.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:16 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Thank´s! One never stop to learn!
May I counter with a question what happened to a friend last Sunday.
He was running his MVVS 10cc engine (airplane engine) for the first time using Rubicon fuel containing 10% nitro and 18% synthetic oil (rest methanol) and a 12x6 APC prop, glow-plug was a Nova Rossi 5 (standard on all MVVS engines) and as soon as he removed the glow ignitor and throttled down the engine quit! The engine ran and throttled well with the ignitor on but quit every time he removed the ignitor despite changing the needle settings.
What was wrong do you think?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:20 AM
jaka

Hi!
He was running his MVVS 10cc engine (airplane engine) for the first time using Rubicon fuel containing 10% nitro and 18% synthetic oil (rest methanol) and a 12x6 APC prop, glow-plug was a Nova Rossi 6 (standard on all MVVS 10-15cc engines) and as soon as he removed the glow ignitor and throttled down the engine quit! The engine ran and throttled well with the ignitor on but quit every time he removed the ignitor despite changing the needle settings.He tried an OS 8 plug but no difference...
Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Murtasma

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
He was running his MVVS 10cc engine (airplane engine) for the first time using Rubicon fuel containing 10% nitro and 18% synthetic oil (rest methanol) and a 12x6 APC prop, glow-plug was a Nova Rossi 6 (standard on all MVVS 10-15cc engines) and as soon as he removed the glow ignitor and throttled down the engine quit! The engine ran and throttled well with the ignitor on but quit every time he removed the ignitor despite changing the needle settings.He tried an OS 8 plug but no difference...
I've never messed with glow engines before. I'm not sure how similar they are to the RC Nitro engines but it sounds like it's running too rich if it stops when you pull the igniter out.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:12 AM
Murtasma

I believe I've found the problem with my engine and it had nothing to do with the tune. The fuel tank O-Ring has gone bad. It was so bad yesterday I couldn't even get the engine to prime - this is how I discovered it went bad. If I press down on the cap hard I can get pressure back. Thankfully I had a new 150cc tank to replace the 125cc tank. I have yet to try it but I'll be giving it a shot today. I believe this was probably the cause of the issues. This would explain the large tuning differences and temps between days. I guess the last time I ran the truck I had a better seal in the tank than the first day. Really hoping this was the problem, certianly not helping anything. I'll be giving it another try today when I get home and let you guys know what I discover.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by Murtasma
I believe I've found the problem with my engine and it had nothing to do with the tune. The fuel tank O-Ring has gone bad. It was so bad yesterday I couldn't even get the engine to prime - this is how I discovered it went bad. If I press down on the cap hard I can get pressure back. Thankfully I had a new 150cc tank to replace the 125cc tank. I have yet to try it but I'll be giving it a shot today. I believe this was probably the cause of the issues. This would explain the large tuning differences and temps between days. I guess the last time I ran the truck I had a better seal in the tank than the first day. Really hoping this was the problem, certianly not helping anything. I'll be giving it another try today when I get home and let you guys know what I discover.
That's great news!!

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:25 AM
jaka

hi!
Okay! I answer it myself!
To much nitro! Or too high compression.
As soon as we tried another fuel containing 5% nitro (15% Motul "Mikro" syntetic oil and 3%castor oil) the engine ran just fine.
Soo you that have a 10 -15cc MVVS engines, do not try to run them on 10% nitro.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by jaka
hi!
Okay! I answer it myself!
To much nitro! Or too high compression.
As soon as we tried another fuel containing 5% nitro (15% Motul "Mikro" syntetic oil and 3%castor oil) the engine ran just fine.
Soo you that have a 10 -15cc MVVS engines, do not try to run them on 10% nitro.
Sorry Jan - I didn't see your post with the question you asked. The nitro would have been my first thought, but perhaps had you used a cold plug instead of a hot one it would have run better on the higher nitro fuel. That's a maybe though - I've never had an MVVS engine personally, so I don't know how picky they are. I have a .90 Super Tigre that will not run on 10% nitro - and definitely not 15% without shims. It sounds like you're frying a 4 course breakfast when the engine is running on 10-15%. 5% is okay though.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 AM
Murtasma

Tune is much easier with a new fuel tank now. I had it running really well with temps between 220 - 240. I then ran in some slightly tall grass for about 8 - 10 minutes. It was getting hot so I riched the mixture up a bit. It ran for a bit more but then shut off. Was not able to get it running again - didn't put much effort into it. I suspect it was just running too hard in the grass with the bowtie tires I have. It was having a lot of wheel spin and not moving so well. Well I'm pretty happy where things are at now. I think I'll put it up for the year now unless I can find some dirt to run in near by. Looking into buying an electric RC car now so I have something to play with when I don't feel like dealing with Nitro.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Make sure you oil the engine before you store it long term or the bearings will rust. Air tool oil or automatic transmission fluid works great - or you can use marine fogging oil as well. The latter is in an aerosol can and it foams up really well so it gets everywhere.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Murtasma

Make sure you oil the engine before you store it long term or the bearings will rust. Air tool oil or automatic transmission fluid works great - or you can use marine fogging oil as well. The latter is in an aerosol can and it foams up really well so it gets everywhere.
Yep I always put after run oil in the engine as soon as I'm done running it and put the piston back to BDC.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim- you got my meaning a bit wrong. I meant it to come across as a statement that I'm all ears around car guys. They know more than me with those engines. I didn't mean it to sound like you are just arguing. No way.

Jan- why do you always dictate one to tune engines by ear? If you have a tach or like them- use em. They are more accurate than your ears or mine. If you like doing by ear, then do it. I like my ears but I also like my TNC. Now, I will agree with you if you're after a 'sweet spot' on an engine.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
Tim- you got my meaning a bit wrong. I meant it to come across as a statement that I'm all ears around car guys. They know more than me with those engines. I didn't mean it to sound like you are just arguing. No way.

Jan- why do you always dictate one to tune engines by ear? If you have a tach or like them- use em. They are more accurate than your ears or mine. If you like doing by ear, then do it. I like my ears but I also like my TNC. Now, I will agree with you if you're after a 'sweet spot' on an engine.
I didn't take it get way at all. My comments were moreso aimed at the comments from Jan. I'll just add - some guys have a better 'ear' for tuning engines than others do. I can tune an engine by ear too, but most of the time when an engine sounds "good", it's probably too lean. On aircraft engines, I almost always use a tach or pinch test to set the needle. On a car engine, I use the head temp as a reference of the needle setting. The exhaust note doesn't change much from the 'right' setting and too lean of a setting. Only when it's way too rich or way too lean does the exhaust note change enough to know what's what. I don't think it reasonable for someone who hasn't run a car engine in the last few decades to dictate how the engine should be tuned. They really cannot be compared to airplane engines IMO. Only when you put a car engine in an airplane - then the rules change.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never use the pinch test.

For tuning the low speed on 2 strokes I use the 30 second idle test. A really good 2s engine that is tuned well should accelerate well after a 30 sec idle period.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
I never use the pinch test.

For tuning the low speed on 2 strokes I use the 30 second idle test. A really good 2s engine that is tuned well should accelerate well after a 30 sec idle period.
I use the pinch test for setting the main needle on aircraft engines, and the idle is set so it throttles up with minimal burbling after 15-20 seconds. Car engines I set to peak and then back off about 1/4 turn on the high speed. Idle needle is set so it throttles up clean at about 10 seconds and slightly loaded up at 15-20 seconds. If it's not a little loaded up (after idling) after 20 seconds, it'll run hot.