Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4-stroke setup problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Sorry Abe, the advice is still good, just not all the same and my set methods are not the same as Props but are based on what works.

You should see it here when somebody starts a (which engine is better) thread. Lines drawn in the sand get quite deep.
On the latter - same goes for gas vs. glow or castor vs. synthetic. It's a hobby and everyone has their own way of doing things. If it works for you, by all means stick to it. I like to try new things - I'm gonna break-in a FSR .25 with a new piston/liner (ferrous iron/steel) and I'm going to use a completely new method to break it in - a method completely out of my comfort zone. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The point being made is none of this info has been carved in stone anywhere as to what you NEED to do. Find a method that works for you and just do it. In the end its always better to do something than nothing at all. The only thing I can advise is if your not having fun you might want to make a change so you are enjoying yourself. After all its a hobby and it is supposed to be enjoyable.

Dennis
Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 AM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Propworn- growing up with a dad who raced cars and bikes and would die before having someone do any of his work, and then having to start over as a young military pilot I learned the best thing a person can do is listen to everything. Literally. Listen to it all and make your own decisions. Learn as much as you can and save it in your head. I've heard a million old timer stories and quite a few of them have saved my butt when facing problems. I've also learned a lot of B.S., but at least I *KNOW* it's B.S., from mostly old timers. But, you can still learn stuff from a new guy too. Been there a few times too. Some new guy will show up and say the craziest thing that turns out to be right.

Just my way of making it through life. I loved aviation turbines more than anything else. Anyway, let's keep it friendly and respect each other. We do a great job at it already around here.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM
J330

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Check out my 99 years of experience.

It's not that bad, is it? I thought it was just a difference of opinion, nothing more. The benefactor of the thread is the guy with the question. We come at it from different angles and whatever route one takes, it's a collective story of success, that tells you if all else fails, look here or there. The result is to enjoy the experience. Truly everyone, even if you got 99 years in it, all of us at one point or another, needed some coaching in some level of this hobby, so it draws sharing and giving, paying it forward so you can, well maybe recover from the effects of denatured alcohol thinning epoxy, what it can to you if you don't take a break.
I really started in 1972 and I didn't know a damn thing when I was 10 years old except how flammable dope was while trying to shrink my tissue paper in front of a propane heater. It was a traumatic event for me, so that should explain volumes into my obtuse senses, unless this keyboard is doing the typing for me. Too many years indeed.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That nitrate dope burns quick and hot!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:37 PM
Propworn

The op asked a simple question which we all know can have more than one answer. With any luck he will find one that suits his needs or he may put one together combining ideas from several contributors. No need to trot out a pedigree to prop up your method of choice. This is what works for me is the best argument you can put forward. Let the op decide for himself what he wants to try. Trotting out your degrees, educational background, years in the hobby, experiences at the race course, military service as a pilot or mechanic etc. doesn't have much bearing on how to set two needles on a small model airplane motor.

Present your method leave it at that. If it’s a good method it will stand on its own. Even if you are the new guy.

Dennis
Old 08-27-2016, 10:45 AM
blw

Presenting methods is okay to a point. Some ideas are just dangerous or blatantly wrong, and critique is welcome. That's the way we do it here. If it can hurt someone or an engine we say something.

Generally, the guys with degrees and who know what they are talking about won't tell you about their pedigrees. As for myself, I was just trying to be nice about it. Your are making it too personal now. For the record, I wasn't talking about myself having any experience. I was trying to point out that I was around *others* who were the knowledgeable ones and I was just fortunate to be there to listen.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:41 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Sorry Abe, the advice is still good, just not all the same and my set methods are not the same as Props but are based on what works.

You should see it here when somebody starts a (which engine is better) thread. Lines drawn in the sand get quite deep.
Or, which oil is best!
Click on link: http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...36/Db84300.gif

(Thanks to W8YE)

Dave, re the 130, check my PM to you. Sorry for the delay. Vbr.

Sincerely, Richard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84300.gif
Views:	138
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	2178455  

Last edited by spaceworm; 08-27-2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Add gif link
Old 08-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by blw
Presenting methods is okay to a point. Some ideas are just dangerous or blatantly wrong, and critique is welcome. That's the way we do it here. If it can hurt someone or an engine we say something.

Generally, the guys with degrees and who know what they are talking about won't tell you about their pedigrees. As for myself, I was just trying to be nice about it. Your are making it too personal now. For the record, I wasn't talking about myself having any experience. I was trying to point out that I was around *others* who were the knowledgeable ones and I was just fortunate to be there to listen.
Nothing personal just a general observation and it relates to just about every thread. Yes I agree I have found those with real knowledge tend not to toot they're own horn. These little wonders have to be grossly abused to really damage them and I didn't find any of the advice offered of the ilk that would result in real damage or injury to the op. All that has happened is by arguing who's method is the best he's been chased from the thread. That is a shame we may never find out if any of us were able to help him out with his problem.

Dennis Pratt
Old 09-02-2016, 10:42 AM
blw

Dennis- it happens all the time here and on the other sites. Good advice and tons of bad advice. Some topics are minefields. Then, there's the translation errors between the brain and the keyboard. Sometimes it's a hard thing to sound like yourself when using the keyboard. You think you're passing along humor and everyone else reads it as insulting, etc.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Propworn

This back and forth over how people perceive the posts in any given thread is strictly each persons interpretation. One has to learn not to get their knickers in a knot when ever they disagree with what is written here and in other threads and forums. Since this has nothing to do with the original direction/question of the topic it serves little purpose.

Last words on this topic as the op has left:

I've never concerned myself too much with what others think of my methods, life isn't a popularity contest. I don't give advice I usually state what works for me and leave the choice to try my method up to the reader. Matters nothing to me if they are comfortable with a different way of doing things. In general folks get too hung up on their method and fail to see any value in someone else's opinion.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 09-03-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, I've been out of town a few days installing some ceiling fans for our son, the new Saito 1.25 arrived while we were gone. I may get to do my break in procedure on it tomorrow.
I also received the rest of the parts for the 1.00.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:39 AM
blw

That's great news, Dave. The 125 was the only engine that I have to say I didn't enjoy breaking in as much as all the others. (The 82 was the best.)

I was out of town myself. Got a lot of doctor visits coming up in Birmingham. We stay overnight if the appointments are too early in the mornings.

I haven't asked you this before, but are you also ordering the unobtainium Saito parts from England? I've had very good luck and the price is about the same as here.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, I just rebuilt a 1.00, new crankcase, cylinder, pushrod tubes and seals, new rockers and cam, new intake pipe, I got it all from Horizon in timely fashion. It was iffy as to worth fixing, but, hey, I had fun.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM
blw

I saw where you had said you were rebuilding it. It does sound like a fun project. That's what it's all about.