Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
Dont be put off , the OS engine will give u yrs of good service if like any engine its looked after . I dont know why all the bad vibes , the OS engine might set you back the same $ of a plane but I bet it will outlast a few planes but not many whinge about them apples . I might be a bit vague with the "few planes " because I havent worn one out yet or had it peel its guts . I havent run one day in day out to destruction though . Chances are the engine will go in the cupboard because we all want something new or different or want to put a new engine in a new plane ( been there ) . Or god forbid it might get smashed to smithereens in something spectacular ! Cheers
By no means am I giving up on OS, my 46ax that's peeling has a lot of time on it, it has been quite thoroughly hammered, I ran the crap out of that motor.
I'll always have more OS engines in my hangar then any other brand.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:14 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
LoL.. Now imagine spending $700+ on one of those limited edition engines and have it peel like a banana.. LoL.

On topic; those engines look pretty... Sure... But the first question that comes to mind.. Why?

Those engines should never touch fuel. You put them in a glass case in the office or living room and just talk about them.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:18 AM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Those engines should never touch fuel. You put them in a glass case in the office or living room and just talk about them.
If anything I'd mount them on a priceless plane that I would never fly
Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
If anything I'd mount them on a priceless plane that I would never fly

you'll need a big glass case to put the whole plane in it to prevent dust from accumulating on such a beautiful engine!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Dealspeed

I think I'd just hang the plane and motor from the ceiling and take a can of air to it every 6 months or so.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:43 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this one:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldplated Saito 30.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	2192427  
Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by blw
Try this one:

Holy ***** very nice
Old 12-06-2016, 12:21 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

That's some expensive artwork. Same with the OS gold plated glow plugs. Practicality is low and cost is high. I suppose there are some "superfans" that will pay the money........
Old 12-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Dealspeed

Quote:That's some expensive artwork. Same with the OS gold plated glow plugs. Practicality is low and cost is high. I suppose there are some "superfans" that will pay the money........

I sure as hell wouldn't, just crazy nuff said.

Last edited by Dealspeed; 12-06-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:49 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda like these... made to run, parts available..

Old 12-06-2016, 03:08 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by fizzwater2
I kinda like these... made to run, parts available..

Yep. Someday I will get one.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Dealspeed

Yep. Someday I will get one.
as will I, just love the look of Jett engines, how well would they do in a 3D plane though? Don't think there designed for that.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:01 PM
the pope

Funny how when the gold plating is on a OS its like "why would they bother but when. its a saito its artwork ! Tim is that one of your engines ? Or just a generic grab from the net ? Funny how when the history of the engine comes to light how it may put a new twist on things . What fuel was used , how lean and or hot did it get did it ingest stuff ( pretty likely if its an oldy and flown of a grass strip . If its given good service and its day is done chuck it over the back fence and go get another . Sounds like Deal isn't complaining too much . most of my early bought engine just sit all oiled up in the cupboard Probably never to be used by me again . Our tastes change , we move on to bigger and better things . Life's to short and its a good time to go shopping . Cheers

Last edited by blw; 12-16-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

as will I, just love the look of Jett engines, how well would they do in a 3D plane though? Don't think there designed for that.

Dub Jett will tailor any engine to your needs. And yes, they 3D excellent. Their carb's are fantastic! I have two Jett BSE engines. They will make you not like anything else.

For the record, those engines listed at the top of the thread are only .11s, and there's only 80 of each color made. Nothing else spectacular about them other than the price.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Dealspeed

Dub Jett will tailor any engine to your needs. And yes, they 3D excellent. Their carb's are fantastic! I have two Jett BSE engines. They will make you not like anything else.

For the record, those engines listed at the top of the thread are only .11s, and there's only 80 of each color made. Nothing else spectacular about them other than the price.
you are correct sir, .11ax a very useless size if you ask me, $700 for a motor that will only fit electric airframes that have been converted, it would probably fit my Eflite Edge 540bp profile, I have a Rimfire .10 outrunner powering it now.
so $100 plane with a $700 motor, I think not
Old 12-06-2016, 04:25 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

you are correct sir, .11ax a very useless size if you ask me, $700 for a motor that will only fit electric airframes that have been converted, it would probably fit my Eflite Edge 540bp profile, I have a Rimfire .10 outrunner powering it now.
so $100 plane with a $700 motor, I think not

The 1/2a OS fanboys might like it.. But it would be disappointing if it's got the same ABN bore the other engines have... Especially at their price point. For the love of God use real chrome!

I will happily spend $300-500 for a Dub Jett engine all day long. Or a cheaper and equally high quality Italian Super Tigre, or an Enya... Even K&B engines hold merit. To be honest, OS is just being absurdly silly with this latest pile of fancy metal plated stuff. Gold plated glow plugs? Good lord. I don't get it. I don't see the beauty aspect. To me it appears to be something a few guys can have a cheat beating contest over..
Old 12-06-2016, 04:42 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gold plating isn't really much more than other plating but it impresses people.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 PM
hsukaria

The 1/2a OS fanboys might like it.. But it would be disappointing if it's got the same ABN bore the other engines have... Especially at their price point. For the love of God use real chrome!

I will happily spend $300-500 for a Dub Jett engine all day long. Or a cheaper and equally high quality Italian Super Tigre, or an Enya... Even K&B engines hold merit. To be honest, OS is just being absurdly silly with this latest pile of fancy metal plated stuff. Gold plated glow plugs? Good lord. I don't get it. I don't see the beauty aspect. To me it appears to be something a few guys can have a cheat beating contest over..
I am still trying to get over that OS is the only glow engine brand that is sold by Tower. Maybe OS should do a joint venture with Sanye to have them chrome plate their (OS) piston liner for them and then OS would do the rest. Then I would consider their ringless engines good. BTW, I have ringed OS engines and have no trouble with them.

Hobby People have been selling Magnums and Hobby King selling ASPs for a while. But even they are limited in their selection and availability. I can't find the Magnum 15 now.

Last edited by hsukaria; 12-06-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I am still trying to get over that OS is the only glow engine brand that is sold by Tower. Maybe OS should do a joint venture with Sanye to have them chrome plate their (OS) piston liner for them and then OS would do the rest. Then I would consider their ringless engines good. BTW, I have ringed OS engines and have no trouble with them.

Hobby People have been selling Magnums and Hobby King selling ASPs for a while. But even they are limited in their selection and availability. I can't find the Magnum 15 now.

OS is already producing stuff in China now. It's only a matter of time before all of their production moves there. Will they ever switch their aircraft engines to real chrome? Doubtful. They've fooled people long enough, why change it?

Also, don't forget that Tower/Hobbico is the worldwide distributor of OS crap. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Hobbico has some influence on what OS manufactures. It's incredibly funny how Hobbico/Tower doesn't carry parts from the older/discontinued engines, but OS in Japan does. Tower/Hobbico will tell you parts are no longer available and send you to FEEbay or the "secondary market (collectors and the like). All of this yet they still have people hooked, line, and sinker.

Im done. I currently have 4 or 5 OS engines. Most certainly at least 2 will get destroyed at some point. The other ones are FSRs. One ringed/chromed bore (yes, they chromed the .60FSR steel liner!) and the other ferrous. When the LA 25 peels, I'll put the other 25fsr liner/piston into it. Fits perfect.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 PM
hsukaria

I think the nickel plating is a contributing factor in why OS and Thunder Tiger engines are so easy to break in, basically run straight out of the box. I also think that is major reason why people got into using OS engines more than any other brands. So I don't think they will give up that feature even if it means a greater tendency to peel the liner. Besides, the bad peeling liners were the FX series I'm told. OS switched back to the good plating process with the AX series and called it ABL. I am not sure about the LA series, I would expect that they use the ABL plating on them too.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Dealspeed

How are Evolution motors plated?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I think the nickel plating is a contributing factor in why OS and Thunder Tiger engines are so easy to break in, basically run straight out of the box. I also think that is major reason why people got into using OS engines more than any other brands. So I don't think they will give up that feature even if it means a greater tendency to peel the liner. Besides, the bad peeling liners were the FX series I'm told. OS switched back to the good plating process with the AX series and called it ABL. I am not sure about the LA series, I would expect that they use the ABL plating on them too.

That's the crap they want you to believe. Their plating process is the same as it's always been from the FSRs all the way up to the AX II. I've seen peeled liners from every OS engine line (aircraft). They must be embarrassed about their ABC/ABN debacle from back in the day.. The reason "ABC Type" terminology came about. Now they call it ABL to make it sound space aged or to fog the glasses so to speak.. Make you think you're getting something special... Reality is its the same old crap it's always been. FWIW, OS has NEVER made a true ABC aircraft engine. They've been ABN from day one. Most of their car and buggy engines are true ABC, by often need to get re-pinched within 3-5 gallons of fuel. Even their high end $500+ race engines usually only last a season or two before needing a pinch. Go to a Picco or Novarossi and you'll get 10-15 gallons through the stock engine before needing to do much to it. Bearings and maybe a conrod.

Nickel plates evenly - no secondary machining operations needed. It's cheaper than using a ringed piston too. The trick is to do a multi-layer plating process. Nickel and brass don't stick to one another very well without an intermediate layer to act as a bonding agent for the nickel. Chrome and brass stick pretty good, but chrome requires a final grinding of the bore to size it properly. Chrome is also more expensive. Nickel has its place - sport engines that don't make much power are fine with it. Put some stress on it and thats when you'll have problems. This is why so many don't have issues with OS - they're being easy on the engine.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-06-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

How are Evolution motors plated?
True ABC or ringed aluminum piston in a hardened steel liner depending on displacement. I think .61 and smaller are ABC and anything bigger than .61 is ringed IIRC.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-06-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:47 AM
hsukaria

Same with the Sanye (Magnum/ASP/SC) engines. But ASP had their .91 built as ABC instead of ringed. It has excellent power and very easy to start and tune.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:34 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't forget this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OS-FS-72-Black-Beauty-Limited-Edition-Engine-3D-View.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2192565  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.