Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I would be interested in an Enya 15. I already run all-castor for my small engines, but how much nitro can it take? 15%?

I've run 0-15% nitro in them - they seem to really like the nitro. The last one I ran made quite a bit more power on 15% than it did on 5% - something like 1,000-1,500rpm. It surprised the hell out of me for sure.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought it was crazy how much my OS 46ax loved 30% heli, I had my last 46 mounted on a Twist 40 with a tower muffler running heli mix, it made the most amazing sound in a full throttle dive, give you goose bumps every time
Old 12-05-2016, 02:46 PM
the pope

Beautiful engines!!! Now they also need to do one with metallic purple!!!

I shudder to think about their price!!! Definitely a shelf ornament.

BTW, I am snooping around for an OS 15LA if somebody has one to sell at a reasonable price.
I there Husky here is the page rcjapan sent me with the price . Brace yourself Cheers

Last edited by the pope; 12-05-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Dealspeed

The platinum version is 80,000 yen or $702.00 usd
Old 12-05-2016, 03:04 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say something extreme, but being OS, I am numbed to their pricing anyway.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Dealspeed

I was going to say something extreme, but being OS, I am numbed to their pricing anyway.
Yea you have to be if your an OS fan
Old 12-05-2016, 05:20 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
Yea you have to be if your an OS fan

Now if OS fans actually got what they paid for.. Now that would be something.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Dealspeed

I've been more than pleased with every OS engine I've purchased, this is of course why I own more OS engines than any other brand, I don't believe they are the be all and end all of all the different brands out there, but they have given me the most dependable motors I've owned, easy to tune and more then enough power, and they last a very long time if taken care of properly.
As far as the cost of OS motors, I don't think there worth quite as much as there sold for.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 PM
the pope

%100 agree with you Deal
Old 12-05-2016, 06:12 PM
hsukaria

i predict the OS engines are going to get even more expensive. Tower Hobbies just dropped the Magnum brand and only sells OS glow engines now.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Dealspeed

i predict the OS engines are going to get even more expensive. Tower Hobbies just dropped the Magnum brand and only sells OS glow engines now.
Yea I've noticed that, I would think with some of the cheapo motors out there that people are now buying over OS to save money, OS would at least try to be more competitive, some of those ASP motors really haul the mail, and there properly cheap.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 PM
the pope

They will hit a limit sooner or later where people just wont pay the asking price . I guess like most business thats good practice to grap as much as u can . Your sales will soon tell you if you went too far . Still sucks though .
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 PM
hsukaria

I have had an ASP 91 (OS 91FX knockoff) with ABC construction that has been excellent right out the box. Tremendous power, easy to start and use, never any trouble. Bought if for $88 shipped about 3 years ago. I believe they are a bit higher now, but still a great value.

I also think the JBA engines are great, although less know than the ASP/Magnums.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Dealspeed

Yes it does suck, but they know they make some of the best engines in the RC market, so they will continue to ask high prices because they feel there motors are worth it.
Theres a comfort in knowing the money spent on one of there motors means unflinching performance and reliability.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:45 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a machinist, I don';t really think the OS stuff is overpriced, but still have a lot of them, as they always seem like a good deal at the swap meets. Especially the smaller LAs. I really don't see how ASP can make them so cheap, even with cncs and with a markup. I think that is why no one wants to stock them. More money in other things like drones etc. I have noticed the price going up on the ASPs lately, as the competition is thinning out.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 PM
hsukaria

Yes it does suck, but they know they make some of the best engines in the RC market, so they will continue to ask high prices because they feel there motors are worth it.
Theres a comfort in knowing the money spent on one of there motors means unflinching performance and reliability.
That's what I thought about the OS 55AX when I bought it until the liner crapped out. The JBA 56 ABC is just as powerful for half the cost. I took longer to break in and tune, but after that is done they are equal.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by aspeed
As a machinist, I don';t really think the OS stuff is overpriced, but still have a lot of them, as they always seem like a good deal at the swap meets. Especially the smaller LAs. I really don't see how ASP can make them so cheap, even with cncs and with a markup. I think that is why no one wants to stock them. More money in other things like drones etc. I have noticed the price going up on the ASPs lately, as the competition is thinning out.
one bad thing when buying ASP engines is you never know if your going to get a lemon, some of them are great runners with very little issues, and others are just horrendous, that's why there so cheap.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Dealspeed

That's what I thought about the OS 55AX when I bought it until the liner crapped out. The JBA 56 ABC is just as powerful for half the cost. I took longer to break in and tune, but after that is done they are equal.
Ive heard about that happening, it's never happened to me personally or anybody I know, have you contacted OS?

Edit: while putting my OS 46ax back together after servicing the bearings, I took a close look at the liner and piston, I noticed a very small area of scuff marks on the piston, I found the spot on the liner and noticed there was discoloration and a rough texture, I'm going to assume this is the liner peeling I keep hearing about?

My my question now is, will it still run ok? It ran awesome the last time it was on my twist 40.

Last edited by Dealspeed; 12-05-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ive heard about that happening, it's never happened to me personally or anybody I know, have you contacted OS?

Edit: while putting my OS 46ax back together after servicing the bearings, I took a close look at the liner and piston, I noticed a very small area of scuff marks on the piston, I found the spot on the liner and noticed there was discoloration and a rough texture, I'm going to assume this is the liner peeling I keep hearing about?

My my question now is, will it still run ok? It ran awesome the last time it was on my twist 40.

It will run okay until enough plating peels to lose the piston seal. Then it's off to The trash heap unless you want to spend $80+ on an OS P/L. There isn't a known true ABC P/L set that will fit the AX engines.

I have a 46FX that peeled 60-70% of its plating. $18 HobbyKing ASP .46 p/l (real ABC) would have it running again, but I'm not one to put much money into an OS. Too many other projects to finance.

My money will go to Enya for new engines. The service and performance is the stuff of legend.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Dealspeed

My next engine purchase will be an Enya, its past time I try one out.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 PM
the pope

Dont be put off , the OS engine will give u yrs of good service if like any engine its looked after . I dont know why all the bad vibes , the OS engine might set you back the same $ of a plane but I bet it will outlast a few planes but not many whinge about them apples . I might be a bit vague with the "few planes " because I havent worn one out yet or had it peel its guts . I havent run one day in day out to destruction though . Chances are the engine will go in the cupboard because we all want something new or different or want to put a new engine in a new plane ( been there ) . Or god forbid it might get smashed to smithereens in something spectacular ! Cheers
Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, there you go. That sounds like the pealing issue, join the club...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	2192392  

Last edited by Mr Cox; 12-05-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

This is a bad one. 46FX. Not very beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2192398  
Old 12-06-2016, 04:17 AM
hsukaria

You mean i'm not the only one to ever have an OS liner peel on him?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

You mean i'm not the only one to ever have an OS liner peel on him?

LoL.. Now imagine spending $700+ on one of those limited edition engines and have it peel like a banana.. LoL.

On topic; those engines look pretty... Sure... But the first question that comes to mind.. Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.