Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:19 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Don't forget this one.
I have a couple of those, Thunder Tiger 75 FS. I plan on selling them soon. Good engines but I am saturated with Saitos.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I have a couple of those, Thunder Tiger 75 FS. I plan on selling them soon. Good engines but I am saturated with Saitos.

The engine Dave pictured is an OS.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:59 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r

Also, don't forget that Tower/Hobbico is the worldwide distributor of OS crap. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Hobbico has some influence on what OS manufactures.....
Not worldwide. Only North America. We can only make suggestions to O.S. They make their own decisions.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wanted a Saito Golden knight edition with red valve covers, you can get red valve covers for the 220
Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM
hsukaria

The engine Dave pictured is an OS.

Now that I look at it on my laptop instead of the cell phone, I can see it is an OS. The OS alpha series looks a lot like the Thunder Tiger 4-strokes, "they musta copied them"
Old 12-07-2016, 08:23 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Bax
Not worldwide. Only North America. We can only make suggestions to O.S. They make their own decisions.

Hi Bax, Tower Hobbies dropped GMS, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Magnum in the last few years. Only OS is left. However, as nice as the OS engines are, most of us poor slobs can't afford the new OS engines. Are there any plans at Tower Hobbies to sell a lower cost brand of glow engines?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

very pretty, confused about the air bleed carb on a AX engine?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 AM
hsukaria

Those snazzy engines are a .11 size. Engines in that size often have airbleed carbs.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:30 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Even better... Airbleed carb on a $700 engine. Priceless.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:33 AM
hsukaria

It's "precision" airbleed. Actually the small engines I have with air bleed carbs are so simple to tune. Heck, some engines in that size don't even have any low speed adjustment such as AP 15 and Norvel 15 BigMig. They don't need them.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's "precision" airbleed. Actually the small engines I have with air bleed carbs are so simple to tune. Heck, some engines in that size don't even have any low speed adjustment such as AP 15 and Norvel 15 BigMig. They don't need them.
Of course they can all benefit from a low end adjustment. To not have any at all is just silly, and just a way to save some machining...

(OS did that on the .10 FSR for instance, where they didn't bother to drill and thread the casted bulge for the airbleed screw...)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When they get that small the airflow velocity does a good enough job regulating the fuel draw. My Saito .30 is an example, it has a non metered carb with an airbleed and the throttling is very linear. If you're going to hammer on OS for airbleed carbs you better bash Enya's first, they have more of them than OS.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Hobbsy

Here are OS engines from .35 AX up through 1.20 AX, no airbleed and no $700.00 price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OS 35 Ax.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	2192583   Click image for larger version

Name:	OS 46 AX.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	2192584   Click image for larger version

Name:	OS 55 AX.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2192585   Click image for larger version

Name:	OS 65 AX.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	2192586   Click image for larger version

Name:	OS 75 AX.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	2192587   Click image for larger version

Name:	OS 95 AX.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2192588   Click image for larger version

Name:	OS 120 AX.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	2192589  
Old 12-07-2016, 12:34 PM
hsukaria

When they get that small the airflow velocity does a good enough job regulating the fuel draw. My Saito .30 is an example, it has a non metered carb with an airbleed and the throttling is very linear. If you're going to hammer on OS for airbleed carbs you better bash Enya's first, they have more of them than OS.
I helped a friend tune a Thunder Tiger .42 GP that has an airbleed carb. It took less than 5 minutes to tune that engine and didn't have to fiddle with it again. The idle and transition were also excellent. I also tuned the Fox EZJust carb, the AP without any low end adjustment, and the Norvel BigMig 15 with airbleed carbs. None of them performed below what I have been used to with dual needle carbs. So, no issues for me regarding airbleed carbs. You just have to follow the directions in the manuals to tune properly.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Hobbsy

True, and with a metered carb like the Fox EZ Just the ab is just a trim for different props, fuel etc.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:38 PM
hsukaria

The dual needle carb would have added another $100 to the price. That would scare away some potential buyers!!!
Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Dealspeed

I've noticed that the few people who don't care for OS engines, seem to have more of a hatred for them instead of just a disliking.
I'm not judging, we all have are preferred brand.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:07 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
I've noticed that the few people who don't care for OS engines, seem to have more of a hatred for them instead of just a disliking.
No hatred or dislike from me. I consider OS engines on par with the other brands, nothing special to me.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Mr Cox

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
For me, what might sound like a hatred is mainly stemming from OS fans who thinks that OS are that much better than anything else. It is their sect behaviour that puts me off, together with the false marketing from OS and their inferior products...

I do have plenty of OS engines and use them too, I just don't think that they are much above the rest in anyway. The true ABC and AAC from Enya though, they are something well worth to experience. There are also great engines from Novarossi/Rex, once you see their build quality one can only laugh at the level that OS air-plane engines provides. Yes, they where once at the top but that was a looong time ago...

The AP wasp is pretty useless at the low-end with no compensation at all. You'll need to at least add a fixed airbleed to the carb. This was done on the Norvels, but they seem to have missed that when they copied them.
The Norvel .15 engines came with twin needle carbs, at least the two I have, these give excellent throttling abilities, rock stable at around 2200rpm (on an 8x4 prop).

If OS would make a true ABC .11 engine I would certainly be interested, but they would have to be reasonably prised too.

Last edited by Mr Cox; 12-07-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Mr Cox

If you're going to hammer on OS for airbleed carbs you better bash Enya's first, they have more of them than OS.
I don't have anything against airbleed carbs, but I'm hammering down on carbs that don't have any low-end adjustment at all...
Old 12-07-2016, 01:24 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
I don't have anything against airbleed carbs, but I'm hammering down on carbs that don't have any low-end adjustment at all...

The lack of low-end adjustment would be a problem to some. But I am using those engines on planes that handlaunch and belly land. So, I really don't need an idle below 4000 rpms anyway.
I have an older Norvel 15 BigMig (the bushing version). That has no low end adjustment. I also have a Norvel 15 AME (ball bearings version), that has twin needle carbs.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I only hammered on the airbleed carb on the $700 engines. I know airbleed carb's can be every bit as good as a twin needle carb, but on a $700 "show piece"? That's just cheap. Comparing an Enya metered airbleed type carb to an OS airbleed carb is like comparing Lamborghini to Ford.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
For me, what might sound like a hatred is mainly stemming from OS fans who thinks that OS are that much better than anything else. It is their sect behaviour that puts me off, together with the false marketing from OS and their inferior products...

I do have plenty of OS engines and use them too, I just don't think that they are much above the rest in anyway. The true ABC and AAC from Enya though, they are something well worth to experience. There are also great engines from Novarossi/Rex, once you see their build quality one can only laugh at the level that OS air-plane engines provides. Yes, they where once at the top but that was a looong time ago...

The AP wasp is pretty useless at the low-end with no compensation at all. You'll need to at least add a fixed airbleed to the carb. This was done on the Norvels, but they seem to have missed that when they copied them.
The Norvel .15 engines came with twin needle carbs, at least the two I have, these give excellent throttling abilities, rock stable at around 2200rpm (on an 8x4 prop).

If OS would make a true ABC .11 engine I would certainly be interested, but they would have to be reasonably prised too.
Well said. Mostly how I feel as well. I still wouldn't buy OS even if they started using chrome in the aircraft engines. Their ABC buggy engines don't last any longer than the ABL stuff. Their top of the line buggy engines run $500-600 and need to be re-pinched by the 5gal mark. Even the Chinese engines last longer it seems.

OS has terrific marketing though..
Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Dealspeed

I'm a big OS fan true, though my favorite motors from them are the larger ringed motors, I have 2 91fx and 1 120ax and a 50sx that's ringed, I love the 120 and 91 for there low weight and good power, I hardly have to adjust them at the field.
I've had good luck with the 46ax as far as how much power they put out and how easy it is to tune them, I am let down with the plating that's starting to peel, when you pay $150 for a 7.5cc motor you expect the best.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:51 PM
the pope

Ive had more trouble with Thunder Tiger engines than any other . O.S. none , thats why I jump to their defense . Trust me if they gave me grief I would be the 1st to say . Im one of the first to get something new but if its a dud Ill be the 1st to jump off the bandwagon too . If a engine runs great with a air bleed carb whats the problem ? Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.