Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Old 12-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Uhhh, errrr, I gotta stew on that some. I remember that I bought it for Telemaster 10 and it's too long for it or too wide, I forget.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:55 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Uhhh, errrr, I gotta stew on that some. I remember that I bought it for Telemaster 10 and it's too long for it or too wide, I forget.

just asking, not trying to be pushy.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:13 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks H man, I would never take it that way.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Or a Jett 15!!!! Awesome!!!

Recently the Magnum 15 had been the standard for combat people. But now that Tower dropped Magnum, nobody has an equivalent except NV Engines. ASP has a 12 and a 21, but not a 15 except the humble AP 15 which is really a .135 at the size of a .10.

I forgot NovaRossi has a .15 also. Seems HOT, but on the heavy side.
There is an ASP .15 blue head engine, that works well but perhaps they have stopped making that too...

Yes, Novarossi are strongly built and are a little heavier but the build quality is second to none.

There is also the Parra 2.5cc (.15) engines, these are available as glow or diesel, RC or CL, lightweight muffler, and they come in just about any form one would like; ABC, AAC or iron/steel. Just pick your favourite, you won't find any in ABN though!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:30 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baronbrian
Ayny wany, I wish they would come out with a "normal .11AX, got a sig wonder kit that would be awesome for a hot .10 size engine
I tried an LA or FP .15 in my Sig Wonder and it was very tailheavy. I extended the motor ahead and it still needed 2 oz. noseweight. I put in a Fox .15 bb and it is good. I would opt for the blue head ASP .15 which is available at Justengines (at least it is on the website) Some guys are using an LA .25 on the Wonder, or even the LA .40. Any .21 would be great too.. A .12 may be too light for the Wonder IMHO, unless mine is just too heavy wood on the stab? I thought Justengines was crazy expensive until I read that the 20% tax is not on for foreign buyers. OS did make a BB .15 for a short time from a car motor that could still be found used maybe. The Picco .12 and Novarossi .12 may be around too.if you like to convert car motors.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:38 AM
aspeed

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Fox nor K&B were not one man show's. In fact Fox is still ticking well after the founder died, but they do not make engines, though they say they may in the future. K&B was sold to a one man show MECOA.
Maybe not a one man show, but there was never a new motor of any significance developed after their death. MECOA is really just a liquidator with a machine shop as far as I know.. Bill and Duke really were the drivers for models engines. It really has to be a love, not a business decision. Tight tolerances and low profit with a warranty for 2 years will not get you rich.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:47 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by aspeed
Maybe not a one man show, but there was never a new motor of any significance developed after their death. MECOA is really just a liquidator with a machine shop as far as I know.. Bill and Duke really were the drivers for models engines. It really has to be a love, not a business decision. Tight tolerances and low profit with a warranty for 2 years will not get you rich.
Not to mention customers who never read the manuals....
Old 12-08-2016, 07:49 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
There is an ASP .15 blue head engine, that works well but perhaps they have stopped making that too...

Yes, Novarossi are strongly built and are a little heavier but the build quality is second to none.

There is also the Parra 2.5cc (.15) engines, these are available as glow or diesel, RC or CL, lightweight muffler, and they come in just about any form one would like; ABC, AAC or iron/steel. Just pick your favourite, you won't find any in ABN though!
Thanks Mr. Cox. Does Parra have a website? I wasn't able to find it.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of car motors I wish I could convert to swing a prop, I know it's been done just not sure what exactly It would require
Old 12-08-2016, 09:08 AM
aspeed

See if I have any pics here. The Axial needed the front shaft cut off, and the stub drilled and tapped for a smaller thread. They all normally need a drive plate and collet from some other similar size shaft. I cut off the fins with a bandsaw and turn them down on the lathe. Sometimes the shaft is too short and a stepped nut is needed with a bigger hole drilled in the prop. Monster car slide carbs are sometimes in the way, as shown one a pic. I have changed over a few heli motors, these two, an old Supertiger .21 car motor, and a Picco .05 P zero.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	picco12 003.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2192675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fora and Axial 002.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2192676  
Old 12-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Dealspeed

Having a slide carb would make setting up the throttle a very interesting project, would have to setup some sort of linkage.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Bax, Tower Hobbies dropped GMS, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Magnum in the last few years. Only OS is left. However, as nice as the OS engines are, most of us poor slobs can't afford the new OS engines. Are there any plans at Tower Hobbies to sell a lower cost brand of glow engines?
GMS ceased making engines, SuperTigre has difficulties with the maker, Thunder Tigre changed distributors, and I have no idea about Magnum. Several other brands have gone out of business or changed how they are sold. Some makers have gone direct and become "boutique" engine makers (K&B/Mecoa/HP/HB, etc).

Demand for glow engines has been declining somewhat. Smaller models are going electric and larger ones are going gasoline. Glow is in the middle.

Tower only drops items that they cannot get or that do not sell. If an item sells and is available, it doesn't get dropped. A low sales number kills an item every time, no matter how much you like it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Bax
GMS ceased making engines, SuperTigre has difficulties with the maker, Thunder Tigre changed distributors, and I have no idea about Magnum. Several other brands have gone out of business or changed how they are sold. Some makers have gone direct and become "boutique" engine makers (K&B/Mecoa/HP/HB, etc).

Demand for glow engines has been declining somewhat. Smaller models are going electric and larger ones are going gasoline. Glow is in the middle.

Tower only drops items that they cannot get or that do not sell. If an item sells and is available, it doesn't get dropped. A low sales number kills an item every time, no matter how much you like it.

That's what I figured. I guess I have way too many engines already anyway. Maybe less temptation to buy new engines anymore.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
hsukaria

See if I have any pics here. The Axial needed the front shaft cut off, and the stub drilled and tapped for a smaller thread. They all normally need a drive plate and collet from some other similar size shaft. I cut off the fins with a bandsaw and turn them down on the lathe. Sometimes the shaft is too short and a stepped nut is needed with a bigger hole drilled in the prop. Monster car slide carbs are sometimes in the way, as shown one a pic. I have changed over a few heli motors, these two, an old Supertiger .21 car motor, and a Picco .05 P zero.
aspeed, looks like I need to come visit you at your shop someday. We are neighbors, except for that pesky international border in between. We'll put NAFTA to good use.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Mr Cox

Thanks Mr. Cox. Does Parra have a website? I wasn't able to find it.
They used to be on clubtamaran but I don't see it there now. Most of the info is available here; http://www.control-line.eu/engines.html but I don't know where one would order it anymore, this doesn't look so good unfortunately...
Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Mr Cox

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
Having a slide carb would make setting up the throttle a very interesting project, would have to setup some sort of linkage.
Here is one way to do it, shown on an OPS .12 engine;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8080.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	2192687  
Old 12-08-2016, 12:42 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a pile of car engines that I'd love to put a prop onto, but without a lathe, it's hard to come up with a prop nut that will work since there's so little of the crank that's threaded. I need to find someone locally that could make me a few one of these days.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
hsukaria

They used to be on clubtamaran but I don't see it there now. Most of the info is available here; http://www.control-line.eu/engines.html but I don't know where one would order it anymore, this doesn't look so good unfortunately...
Another engine maker bought the farm!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Dealspeed

Here is one way to do it, shown on an OPS .12 engine;
That's exactly what I was picturing, basically a bell crank type setup.
I've got 3 Hobao Hyper 21 8 port motors that I would love to prop, they would be little screamers
Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 PM
aspeed

aspeed, looks like I need to come visit you at your shop someday. We are neighbors, except for that pesky international border in between. We'll put NAFTA to good use.
My machine shop is not heated but I have a little lathe downstairs. Maybe stop by on a warm day. I go to south Detroit Eureka Road once in a while. Need a fancy drivers license to get over. I don't go much any more because of our dollar. No deals any more. Just chicken, and milk really. You could send me a drawing of exactly what you need so I can get prepared.

Last edited by aspeed; 12-08-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 AM
hsukaria

My machine shop is not heated but I have a little lathe downstairs. Maybe stop by on a warm day. I go to south Detroit Eureka Road once in a while. Need a fancy drivers license to get over. I don't go much any more because of our dollar. No deals any more. Just chicken, and milk really. You could send me a drawing of exactly what you need so I can get prepared.
Nothing in particular, but I saw this and wondered if a shaft extension could be devised. The head could be cut down as you did on you engines. I realize the price is insanely cheap, maybe the engine is not worth it? But I wanted to investigate any possibilities.

http://www.banggood.com/SMT-18-Grade...l?rmmds=search
Old 12-09-2016, 01:27 PM
aspeed

It is $48 Canadian, what is the US price? A drive plate and collet would need to be made up, a stepped prop nut and some kind of muffler. Looks well made. An ASP .15 from Just Engines may work out about the same. They deduct the 20% VAT from the list price. Plus shipping.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:40 PM
hsukaria

It is $48 Canadian, what is the US price? A drive plate and collet would need to be made up, a stepped prop nut and some kind of muffler. Looks well made. An ASP .15 from Just Engines may work out about the same. They deduct the 20% VAT from the list price. Plus shipping.
It is $36 with free shipping, no tax
Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are those OS engines for sale now?
Old 12-14-2016, 02:52 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by airraptor
are those OS engines for sale now?
Make sure your sitting down . If your keen their good people to buy from ! cheers
http://www.worldhobbies.com.au/produ...TION_item.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.