Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah jet and a few other have ran billet cases. If the person or shop doesnt know how to run their CNC machines then I am sure there can be some issues.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
Don't Dub Jett engines use a billet case?

Yes. They're beautiful engines - I have two. A .35 and a .56LX. What's sad - just one of these plated 11AX engines costs as much as TWO 56LX engines.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Yes. They're beautiful engines - I have two. A .35 and a .56LX. What's sad - just one of these plated 11AX engines costs as much as TWO 56LX engines.
Yes that is sad, I would much rather have two Jett 56lx
Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
Yes that is sad, I would much rather have two Jett 56lx
Even one is a handful. I will actually peak this pig out this spring to see what it can really do. https://youtu.be/4CEaZ2M2XsU
Old 01-01-2017, 11:52 PM
airraptor

Qwk the 56LX should do a APC 9x8 at 18,500 pretty easily on most days. The 35 and 56 are his two best sport engines.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:43 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by airraptor
Qwk the 56LX should do a APC 9x8 at 18,500 pretty easily on most days. The 35 and 56 are his two best sport engines.

They do run quite nicely. For what I'm currently using it for, the 56LX is propped with a 10x6. It's pulling a bit of weight that I don't think a 9x8 can pull.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:14 AM
airraptor

Yeah the 9x8 needs a light low drag set up. the 10x6 should turn over 18,000 also but not 100% on that as I never put one on my 60LX.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yeah the 9x8 needs a light low drag set up. the 10x6 should turn over 18,000 also but not 100% on that as I never put one on my 60LX.

The advertised power when I bought this engine was 18,000 on an APC 10x6 and Powermaster 15% fuel. That of course is with the gold Jettstream muffler. I'd guess the full pipe should get it to peak over that although I haven't been able to peak it yet. Every time I tried to peak it (seriously just so I knew where it really peaked) it would pop a plug. So I have a little more work to do with it. If it keeps popping plugs, I might go a little cooler on the heat range before adding a head shim.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day, the OS AX 11 is none other than a polished turd. While it looks exquisite, is still a BB 11 and Enya can perform as good at a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM
airraptor

Controller jealous? there is always someone that has to be negative. I didn't buy this engine to run it sheesh
Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Dealspeed

The anti OS guys out there have a deep seeded hatred for OS engines, at least that's what I've noticed. To each there own
Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM
the pope

Perhaps we should go over to the enya thread and **** can their pride and joy . Of the one enya Ive had its a p.o.s. Now obviously there not all like that but every-time thats enya is mentioned I dont go calling them crap a ( and the pope is one of the most socially inappropriate person on the planet , not that u could guess . Heck I even think its funny to fart in the movies .I get the rundown on behavior from the daughter when I go with her and if u thinks its cool to make a racket and talk all through the movie dont sit within ears distance of the pope ) . Especially on a enya thread . They dont even make the 155 4st anymore . So u got the 36, 52 to chose from . Wow what a range imagine all the planes that take that size . Pretty rude to dis someones pride and joy for no good reason other than there jealous and cant afford them or they heard on the internet 15yrs ago that some peeled their liner .

Last edited by the pope; 01-09-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I never hated OS engines, I just didn't buy any until about 12 years ago, Now I have (2) LA .25's, an LA .46, an LA .65. a .56 Alpha, a .95v and an older 1.20 E. Fine engines, all. Some of you will pucker up when I say that I run Wildcat full synthetic in the LA's with no problem.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by the pope
Perhaps we should go over to the enya thread and **** can their pride and joy . Of the one enya Ive had its a p.o.s. Now obviously there not all like that but every-time thats enya is mentioned I dont go calling them crap a ( and the pope is one of the most socially inappropriate person on the planet , not that u could guess . Heck I even think its funny to fart in the movies .I get the rundown on behavior from the daughter when I go with her and if u thinks its cool to make a racket and talk all through the movie dont sit within ears distance of the pope ) . Especially on a enya thread . They dont even make the 155 4st anymore . So u got the 36, 52 to chose from . Wow what a range imagine all the planes that take that size . Pretty rude to dis someones pride and joy for no good reason other than there jealous and cant afford them or they heard on the internet 15yrs ago that some peeled their liner .
Hmmmm, you got a point there popey!!

I'm not an OS hater, but neither am I an OS worshiper either. I have some OS engines, despite the fact that it is the only brand of engines that had an engine totally crap out on me. I buy mostly cheap brand engines except Saito and Norvel.

I have an OS 70 Surpass II, OS 61FX (ABN), OS 46SF (ringed), OS 25FX (ABN), an old OS 20 (ABN, pre-FP), and a cute little OS 15LA (ABN). I had an OS 55AX that had tremendous power until it peeled the liner. I was too cheap to replace the piston/liner on it. I wish the Sanye piston/liners fit on the AX series. Does anybody know if the Sanye (ASP/Magnum) piston liners fit the OS 61FX or the OS 25FX?

Edit: I forgot that I had another engine crap out on me besides the OS 55AX, it is the NV Engines GX-40 (the gasser version). I converted it back to nitro glow after the repairs. So, crap occurs with these engines apparently. I also have the Mintor 38cc that broke, but the factory repaired under warranty.

Last edited by hsukaria; 01-10-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by the pope
Sorry Michael, but I had to laugh a little bit, so please pardon me. I don't think I've seen you ever get this whipped up.. I don't have a hatred for OS, by a very strong dislike. If I bought an engine advertised as ABC, it better be ABC. The fact they're not ABC and never have been and they charge what they do for them - you'd expect a platinum plated crankcase with the best of the best internal technology and metallurgy. But hey, at the end of the day, if they give you the satisfaction and enjoyment you seek at the price you're willing to pay, why get all whipped up about what the naysayers have to say? These days, OS has some competition and that competition comes in at a much better price and value. You like your OS stuff - great. Try a Novarossi. You might be surprised by what you find.

I have several OS engines - 10FP, 25FSR, 25LA, 21SE-M, Max-III .15, and a 60FSR. I put a new piston/liner into the 25FSR, I put $50 worth of parts into the 60FSR, and the LA and FP are basically new. I'll see how they hold up - might even Frankenstein a few of them. I will say I am going to see just what it takes to get one to peel. The 25LA will be my guinea pig.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-10-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM
airraptor

Back when people had more money to spend on the Hobby OS was the number one selling engine, today people dont want to spend much on certain things. I see people buying 2000 dollar planes then complain about a 25 dollar switch when there is a 15 dollar one. IMO novarossi are good but all are heavy for their size. I like all engines but they all have a weak point. ASP has some really great piston and sleeves yet have weak crankpins. I think most OS clones ASP has the parts will swap over but if you can buy a whole ASP 46 for 50 dollars I would just swap out the crank if the same and have a good engine
Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't buy OS engines because I'm not convinced they are worth the extra bucks. I'm not saying they're inferior, but I am saying they aren't worth the cost for me. The real money is spent when you need repair parts. A lot of OS parts cost double what an equal quality part would cost you. I'm not paying that.

Then, there's the peeling liner thing. Like it or not, people will still worry about nickel. I would myself if I had an OS, however I wouldn't worry much if the piston/liner set cost the same as any other good quality engine, but they don't. They cost double, or more. OS fans have to face this baggage when it comes to opinions on the engines.

Lastly, we're not going to bash products. This is a great thread about a beautifully plated engine, so a tiny bit of opinion is okay and obviously a lot of loving the engine takes the bulk of the conversation.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
controlliner

Controller jealous? there is always someone that has to be negative. I didn't buy this engine to run it sheesh
Seriously? not in the least......I just believe that OS used to produce excellent engines that were show and go. Nowadays I question their quality. The last straw was when they stopped putting phospher bronze valve seat inserts in the four stroke heads. Now the valve runs directly in the cast aluminum and the valve seat is cut in the aluminum head and is plated. It saddens me how people are loyal to an engine manufacturer that keeps cutting corners in design quality to improve their profit margin and not pass on some of their savings to the loyal consumer. Fox manufacturing would still be producing powerful engines if it were not for other manufacturers forcing them to bow out. Think about it. OS is saying give me your money sucker and i'll give you a mediocre engine with an awesome carb.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM
airraptor

if you don't like OS engines why come in to a OS engine thread and bash them? Are you looking for some attention or something. Also the cost of products around the world has gone up so many manufactures have had to find ways to cut costs. By the way cutting the heads to fit the valves then having the head nikasil plated is far better than a insert as the nikasil is harder than the valve itself. So have a head with inserts that wear out and have to buy a whole head or have a head that is plated and only have to buy a valve to fix it.
I havent heard many of the AX engines peeling the liner anymore in fact this thread is the first one where I heard of 55AX doing it.

Its a hobby do as you please and buy what ever you want but do not get on some one else for buying something you do not like they are buying what they like. Now days I buy all YS engines anyway as I feel they are the best engines out there just wish I had discovered them long ago. I have a 56 and 60 in a 45 size case, 91 heli converted to airplane and a 120 heli converted to airplane in two strokes and many four strokes.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by controlliner
Seriously? not in the least......I just believe that OS used to produce excellent engines that were show and go. Nowadays I question their quality. The last straw was when they stopped putting phospher bronze valve seat inserts in the four stroke heads. Now the valve runs directly in the cast aluminum and the valve seat is cut in the aluminum head and is plated. It saddens me how people are loyal to an engine manufacturer that keeps cutting corners in design quality to improve their profit margin and not pass on some of their savings to the loyal consumer. Fox manufacturing would still be producing powerful engines if it were not for other manufacturers forcing them to bow out. Think about it. OS is saying give me your money sucker and i'll give you a mediocre engine with an awesome carb.
I understand where your coming from man, you make a good point.
the only OS engine that has peeled on me so far is my 46ax that has over a 150 hard running flights on it mounted on a Hangar 9 twist with a tower muffler running Cool Power 30% heli, I rang that motor out hard, really hard, and the spot where the liner is peeling is very small, you can tell it's just started.
when it comes to replacing piston and liners on a OS, I would rather find that same motor second hand that has very low hours, most times you can find the 46ax gently used cheaper than you can replace the piston and sleeve, that's no joke.
And as far as OS 4 strokes, I have never owned one and never will, what's the point when there is Saito, and if money isn't an issue there is YS, OS four strokes have terrible power to weight ratios compared to the competition, but there 2 strokes have never let me down, there light and powerful and easy to tune, and they hold a tune nicely, and if I can get 150+ flights out of an OS before the liner starts to give out, then I'd say I got my money's worth out of it.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'm glad some guys still swear by OS. Gives me something to read about when they have issues with them.

As for Novas being heavy - I'll take their weight, quality, and price over an OS any day. Novarossi car engines spank the beans out of OS engines when you consider the OS speed type engines only last 3-5 gallons before needing to be re-pinched. Nova and Picco engines manage 10-12 gallons easily.

Heck, I'd buy a Fox over an OS even though I really don't like Fox either.

Dollars are what you pay, but value is what you get. YMMV.

Have fun fellas.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-10-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I'm glad some guys still swear by OS. Gives me something to read about when they have issues with them.

As for Novas being heavy - I'll take their weight, quality, and price over an OS any day. Novarossi car engines spank the beans out of OS engines when you consider the OS aspeed type engines only last 3-5 gallons before needing to be re-pinched. Nova and Picco engines manage 10-12 gallons easily. I'd buy a Fox over an OS even though I really don't like Fox either.

Dollars are what you pay, but value is what you get. YMMV.

Have fun fellas.
you must understand for a lot of us value is what we got from OS, like I said I have never had a problem with my OS motors out on the flight line, I've never lost a plane because one of my OS engines failed in some way, nor do I know anybody personally that has had issues with them, I understand that your experience with them hasn't been the same as my own, my experience has been flawless, I run more OS branded engines than any other manufacturer, now if there quality continues to slide while there prices continue to rise I will stop buying new OS engines and switch to another manufacturer, but until than I trust there motors more than any other.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Besides reliability, power, and longevity, I also find value in not only availability of replacement parts... But cost of replacement parts. Can you get a cylinder head for a 20 year old <6cc OS engine shipped to your door for less than $13 directly from the OEM in Japan? Piston and liner for $40-50 direct from the OEM in Japan?
I'm gonna bet the answers to either of those questions are no - and that's okay. You find value in what you buy/use, and so do I. I just look at it from a different angle with different criteria that determines its value.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:21 AM
the pope

How about the 155 enya I was gonna get . Sorry no can do . What about the twin that everybody raves about ? Arr thats kaput as well and no longer made . What 4 stroke can I get then a 36 or 54 or whatever it is . No thanks , wow what a range ! Hows that for value , me think not much chop ! Oh but they last for ever and never wear out . What a load of baloney . Oh I take that back cause my enya sits in its box so I guess it will last forever and never wear out cause its a p.o.s. and in its box its gonna stay . I guess u better buy up big cause if their 4 stroke range is anything to go by they might not be around for long .
Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Were you or are you dead set on buying new? There's NIB engines in the classifieds and on eBay all the time. Just remember - OS has a huge distributor. Enya does not have a distributor and hasn't had a good one for many years.

At the end of the day, we can agree to disagree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.