Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The most beautiful O.S engines ever made

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my early OS engines, Foxes, Enyas and Thunder Tigers but sadly, many companies are with the belief people want to go electric? I don't know why, but some Mfgs seem to be lowering production it appears. I have enough engines 049 and up, until I'm dead and for someone to inherit someday so I will be quite critical of new engines as they come out. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by controlliner; 01-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about silver plated stainless steel screws for mounting these engines in your display case.. available in various lengths.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#90008a441/=15v85zd
Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks fizz but doesn't silver corrode very fast?
I would think if you were in Japan the OS parts would be very cheap. I think the biggest problem is Tower Hobbies prices are getting higher and higher on engines. So less people buy them and they raise the prices even more. Electrics has taken over because of the profit margin for companies and for modelers I say some are lazier in that electric is easy to do, no tuning and no clean up. For me I will always enjoy the smell and long lasting power of a two smoke and four strokes.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm yea OS parts prices are ridiculous, I'll be the first OS guy to admit there parts are 3 times the cost they should be, for now I dont get to fly often enough that I need to worry about needing parts for quite a while.
Now you know I'm not one of those OS fanboys that think there is nothing worth buying other than OS, the next new engine I purchase will be a Enya, I'm looking forward to seeing what there all about, I love trying new engines from different manufacturers, I just wish the choices weren't so limited these days, I'd love to see a new Thunder Tiger distributor here in the states, I've ran the 46 pro and still own a 36 pro and I love both, easily some of the best motors I've ran.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Look around at Novarossidirect.com. Their prices are hard to beat when you compare them to the Asian stuff - and Nova engines run hard. Basically the present day Cesare Rossi engines.

Enya's website rarely shows what's in stock - so if you want to buy direct, email Ken Enya. Otherwise look to the classifieds here or on RCGroups. The Enya CX and SS EX engines are some very nice and affordable engines. The CX are mostly AAC with some being ABC (no nickel!), and the SS EX engines are ABC I believe. The standard SS series are either ferrous p/l or ringed. I was given a 40CX from a friend - and it's a sweetie! One-flip starter warm or cold. My SS30bb is a one-flip starter too. I love my Enyas. I have a dozen of them or more.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the next new motor I get will be a Novarossi, or possibly some cheap Chinese one, like maybe a blue head ASP .15 which is a faint copy of a Novarossi. I would bet that a few OSs will come my way first at a swap meet for $20 though. There are so many around, and I keep getting them for spare parts, although they are usually pretty good, with maybe a broken needle or something similar. I like the sound of my AX .46 just above idle coming out of a loop on my Twist. I just got another spare .46 in the spring for, yes $20, in case the liner peels, or the needle breaks. That was the reason the Twist was $80. The bolt that holds the needle in was stripped. I put in a helicoil. I really do not think OS is overpriced, just that others are a better deal. As a machinist it would take many more hours to machine one up, than to work as a machinist and buy one for maybe 4 hours pay. Try making a liner.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Dealspeed

Are the Irvine motors any good?
I like the way they look
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_25779-lg-1290293-1-8490316536456.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2196417  
Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 AM
the pope

Are you teasing us there Deal ? I was after one of those but Just Engines had them listed but out of stock . They never did come back in stock again . I did manage to get the 39 for a simitar thats on the never to be completed list . They certainly look the part and you never hear a bad word about them .Get ready to plug your ears cause OS ( the evil empire ) took them over and that was that . No doubt you will hear that the O.S. ones were crap blah blah blah errrrrrrrrrrrrrgggg !!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 AM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by the pope
Are you teasing us there Deal ? I was after one of those but Just Engines had them listed but out of stock . They never did come back in stock again . I did manage to get the 39 for a simitar thats on the never to be completed list . They certainly look the part and you never hear a bad word about them .Get ready to plug your ears cause OS ( the evil empire ) took them over and that was that . No doubt you will hear that the O.S. ones were crap blah blah blah errrrrrrrrrrrrrgggg !!!!
Pope the picture I posted was taken from a ad in the RCU marketplace, $125 I think.
Oh and OS engines are!! The devil
Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 AM
the pope

If its n.i.b. and you want it bad I would get it .I dont think u could go wrong . I have engines in that size range right up the kazoo . The pope only buys new or n.i.b. or from a trusted user but even then not so much with the later. I figure the engine especially a 2 stroke is only about 1/3 of the cost of the plane with its bits and pieces or even less depending ....
Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I still have a .53 and a couple of others, the .53 has spent most of it's life with a Davis Diesel head on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Irvines 006 (Small).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2196437  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
I like the way they look
I have a couple of old-style Irvine 40s with the 2-piece crankcase. Excellent engines, easy to use and not fussy about the fuel. They are true ABC engines, but there are ringed versions also. The one you are showing in the picture is the OS-made latest version with the OS carb. The Irvine-made Irvines had the Jetstream carbs that were tremendous, IMHO. I don't have experience with the OS-made versions, but I suspect they are very similar. The older versions like mine were not painted red, just plain finish. The only complaint about some of the old versions (minor complaint) is that they had plastic crankcase backplates. That only is a problem if you want to mount them radially, otherwise, a non-issue.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have an Irvine 46 Mk III (late model Mk III) made in England. It is basically brand new. I plan to run it this spring. Seems to be a very nice engine. Mine is not painted. I used the Irvine .46 carburetor on a GMS .47 and it worked fantastic. The GMS .47 carb - not so much - but the price was right. Free. I got the Irvine for free too funny enough.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:55 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
I like the way they look
If color is what you are after, then you might like these also: http://www.kangkeusa.com/skengines.htm

I have the JBA 56 and it is a mean engine, lots of power. It has a generic carb, which might or might not suit your needs based on the application. The Tower-type muffler gives more power, but is quite heavy and may be the reason for the sometimes sloppy transitions. But that just might be my application. A stock OS muffler would help the noise and throttle response while giving up some top-end performance. But I have not tested that yet. I am running a muffled tuned pipe on it right now. They are true ABC and a good value.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:34 PM
airraptor

Pope you have a irvine 39 NIB? wanna sell it?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:16 PM
the pope

are you rich ?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
the pope

Hi there Air yes it s unrun but mounted on the simitars fuz . I dont think I will sell it , I think its a pretty good match and doesnt look much bigger than a 25-32 size engine. I just know that I would regret it latter and I wouldnt really want to get less than what I have paid for it . I recently sold a ST40 a OS55 and a LA 46 which I now wish I didnt . Thats what friends are for , they get u in a weak moment . That 53 looks good though . So cut Deals lunch and grab it before he does !! Only joking the pope doesnt jive on things like that .

Last edited by the pope; 01-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 PM
airraptor

The irvine 39 is an ok engine in stock form but once it is tweaked there is no other engine its size to match it. It out perform the Jett 35LX FIRE engine with special porting by 700 rpm. Been looking for one for a long time. I have one now but its getting tired and is on par with the 35LX now.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM
the pope

What did u do to it to wake it up ? My flying buddies are building the simitars as well but are putting 46's on theirs .I.I.R.C. one might even be putting a AX55 on one . It would be funny to out run em with the 39 . I can just see their faces now .
Old 01-12-2017, 06:34 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that the OS multi-cylinder engines are their best art for engines. It culminated with the wonderful OS IL-300 inline four and the cool OS FF-320 flat four.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 PM
airraptor

the normal stuff, of timing changes, getting the blow down just right, opening up the carb, crank timing and run a Jett Gold muffler.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:52 PM
the pope

Thanks air , thats out of my skill set plus while I love engines and repairing broken or ones with issues going to that degree and potentially buggering up the engine isnt my bag . I have used that tuned muffler but the noise Nazis at my club would have had kittens so I took it off . I diid see some improvement though .
Old 01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airraptor
the normal stuff, of timing changes, getting the blow down just right, opening up the carb, crank timing and run a Jett Gold muffler.
Are you doing those mods, or do you send it off to someone else who does it for you?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:47 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A cheap round protractor can tell you how much to grind on the crank, the liner can be shimmed if you don't want to grind. I don't like grinding the nickle liners. Even a true pipe can be outfitted with an after muffler to satisfy and impress the field Nazis. Pipes are real time wasters if you want good results, but can be worth it unless you have to pay someone hourly?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Tuned Muller is not the same as a tuned pipe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.