Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Sport Jett .50 vs. OS 55AX

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now own over 14 OS engines, I'm happy with every one of them, not a single complaint, I understand that some people haven't had the same experience with OS as me, but those people will never convince me to stop using and liking OS engines.
yes Dub Jett makes a better motor, at twice the price of OS engines they better be a night and day difference.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
It's great seeing the beauty of some things.
Holy crap your Dub Jett is doing something very inappropriate to that OS!
Old 02-08-2017, 04:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
Holy crap your Dub Jett is doing something very inappropriate to that OS!
LoL. Unintended consequence when you're the big dog in town. Poor little FX....

Dont look at that FX too long - it might "shed weight" while I'm trying to sell the poor thing. Though chances are I might have to just take it to the scrap yard.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Dealspeed

The 46FX is the one OS engine I would never buy used, actually I wouldn't buy it new either, that motor likes to shed its clothes quicker then any other.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

The 46FX is the best one OS engine I would never buy used, actually I wouldn't buy it new either, that motor likes to shed its clothes quicker then any other.
Ironically - the same exact manufacturing process was used on the SF, FX, AX, and AX II engines. They just jumbled their description of their "ABC TYPE" liners. Now they're called ABL ("Advanced Bimetallic Liner) although there is nothing "advanced" about it...

Maybe I will just try running it on car fuel... Could be interesting.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-08-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:43 PM
the pope

Why not sprinkle a bit of sand through the exhaust port and then come back here and whinge how it puked its linner . For someone who hates them u sure have a few in your collection , whats up wit dat ? You would think with all the engines that Dubb signed he would get better with the engraver than that . Looks like his dog did it . I wouldnt want my beautiful new engine with that scribble on it . Looks like ****e .
Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

LoL. I love it.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-08-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 PM
the pope

Im a fan of all things that work Tim . Thats why I say good things about them , I have no reason to say otherwise . Im not just a OS fan boy either I have
supertigre 1x34-1x45-2x51-1x90
saito 1-40 -2x82 -1x 100 twin -1x 125
1x enya thats a piece of do do
norvel gasser thats another piece of do do
ASP 2x25 1x52 -1x91 4st -1x32
T.T. 2x10 -1x54 4st
OS 1x30 4st-1x52 4st - 1x72 4st - 46 fx- 46 ax -55 ax -GF30 - 2x GF40
mintor 2x 22 do do
dle 1x 22- 1x30
roto 1x25 and 1x35
da 1x35 -1x50
laser 1x 200 twin
1x can fairy dust !! ( a must )
and no doubt others that Ive forgotten about . If u limit yourself to just one brand u miss out on all the gems that are around . If there good i'll defend them and if there bad i'll tell the world as well . Its not like I get freebies so I have nothing to gain either way .
Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by the pope
Im a fan of all things that work Tim . Thats why I say good things about them , I have no reason to say otherwise . Im not just a OS fan boy either I have
supertigre 1x34-1x45-2x51-1x90
saito 1-40 -2x82 -1x 100 twin -1x 125
1x enya thats a piece of do do
norvel gasser thats another piece of do do
ASP 2x25 1x52 -1x91 4st -1x32
T.T. 2x10 -1x54 4st
OS 1x30 4st-1x52 4st - 1x72 4st - 46 fx- 46 ax -55 ax -GF30 - 2x GF40
mintor 2x 22 do do
dle 1x 22- 1x30
roto 1x25 and 1x35
da 1x35 -1x50
laser 1x 200 twin
1x can fairy dust !! ( a must )
and no doubt others that Ive forgotten about . If u limit yourself to just one brand u miss out on all the gems that are around . If there good i'll defend them and if there bad i'll tell the world as well . Its not like I get freebies so I have nothing to gain either way .

I have over 50 engines... K&B, Enya, SuperTigre, Jett, OS, Irvine, Brat, Novarossi, Picco, SH, Traxxas, Fox, and others. The ones I've found to be sub-par are Fox and OS. The others have lasted a long time, ran well, and overall have been good engines. My favorites? Enya SS30bb, Both Jetts, ST .45, Novarossi, and Picco. The best fitted and least problematic - Picco and Jett. No pixies or chooching. Most of the OS I have left me saddened - they didn't live up to the hype. Between the BS the distributor feeds customers and their horrible service/warranty and just underwhelming fit and finish leaves me wanting/expecting more. I am more performance oriented though.

We we can agree to disagree and still be friends if you want to... But nobody will ever convince me OS is better than much. If OS was such high quality and so good, people wouldn't put ASP piston and liner sets into their OS engines when they (the OEM parts) fail.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Dealspeed

I love trying new engines out, it's a big part of what I love about this hobby, I own quite a few different brands as well, these are my plane motors, every one has been great to own, well the GMS was a little tricky but I straightened it out after some tinkering.
OS 46ax x2
OS 55ax
OS 50sx x2
OS 91fx x2
OS 25fx x2
OS 46la x2
OS 25la
OS 120ax
TT 36 pro
TH 46 pro
TH 75 pro
GMS 47
Saito 82fa
Saito 100fa
Saito 125fa
Evolution 46nt
Evolution 91nx
YS 63
EME 35 gasser
Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 PM
the pope

I have over 50 engines... K&B, Enya, SuperTigre, Jett, OS, Irvine, Brat, Novarossi, Picco, SH, Traxxas, Fox, and others. The ones I've found to be sub-par are Fox and OS. The others have lasted a long time, ran well, and overall have been good engines. My favorites? Enya SS30bb, Both Jetts, ST .45, Novarossi, and Picco. The best fitted and least problematic - Picco and Jett. No pixies or chooching. Most of the OS I have left me saddened - they didn't live up to the hype. Between the BS the distributor feeds customers and their horrible service/warranty and just underwhelming fit and finish leaves me wanting/expecting more. I am more performance oriented though.

We we can agree to disagree and still be friends if you want to... But nobody will ever convince me OS is better than much. If OS was such high quality and so good, people wouldn't put ASP piston and liner sets into their OS engines when they (the OEM parts) fail.
Sure we can still be friends Tim . Ive never thought that disagreeing is anything but that . I had to google what chooching meant .http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=4380489
Holy smoke where did u learn that from ? I hope it wasnt from your days at a catholic all boys school !

Last edited by the pope; 02-08-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Dealspeed

How many of those engines do you have mounted on airplanes? If that Jett was mine it wouldn't be on a test stand that's for sure, I think it would be the perfect motor for this old bird I have yet to build, it's a old Global ARF called the Tequila Sunrise, it's just chilling in its box till I find the perfect motor, that motor still might be my still nib OS 50sx, the 50sx is one of my most favorite OS motors, the more you run it the better it gets, it's a ringed motor so it takes quite a while to fully break her in.

Thats a motor I think even you would probably like 1qwk
Old 02-08-2017, 08:20 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Sure we can still be friends Tim . Ive never thought that disagreeing is anything but that . I had to google what chooching meant .http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=4380489
Holy smoke where did u learn that from ? I hope it wasnt from your days at a catholic all boys school !

I hear some Canadians on YouTube say it all the time. It's been used in every context imaginable. Guys say 'bloke' too and it seems to mean something different depending on what country you're in.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

How many of those engines do you have mounted on airplanes? If that Jett was mine it wouldn't be on a test stand that's for sure, I think it would be the perfect motor for this old bird I have yet to build, it's a old Global ARF called the Tequila Sunrise, it's just chilling in its box till I find the perfect motor, that motor still might be my still nib OS 50sx, the 50sx is one of my most favorite OS motors, the more you run it the better it gets, it's a ringed motor so it takes quite a while to fully break her in.

Thats a motor I think even you would probably like 1qwk
That Jett .56LX is on a 6 pound 60-70mph outrigger airboat. I ordered it for that exact purpose. My Jett .35 is on a 4lb RC airboat that's been good for 55mph so far.

I'm more of a collector of engines, but I have engines in 3 planes. 6 airboats have engines, and the rest are in a drawer. I have 4 trucks, 7 airboats, and 5 planes. I love engines, but don't really care to fly much. I'd rather drive or float most of the time.

I got rid of many of my ringed engines in favor of ringless tapered bore engines.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-08-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate OS too . I take them to the field and every time they fire up and fly my planes around just fine . I want to fiddle around with them for hours at a time and go home without even having one fly . I want to have to pull them apart to find a peeled liner but they just wont play ball . I hate them for that . Shame on them
The last OS I had wore the bearings out just after the warranty expired. Bought another used and it had bad bearings and returned it. So not fond of OS at all. Do have an much older one when they were made well.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

I now own over 14 OS engines, I'm happy with every one of them, not a single complaint, I understand that some people haven't had the same experience with OS as me, but those people will never convince me to stop using and liking OS engines.
yes Dub Jett makes a better motor, at twice the price of OS engines they better be a night and day difference.
Suspect they last 4 times as long so that would be 1/2 the price of an OS.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-09-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Fox made some sub par engines from time to time. But the ones I have are excellent and better than any OS I have had. I have two .50's, one worn out (needs a new sleeve) but still runs good, one .46, and one .15. Only the .15 needs 100% castor.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Suspect they last twice as long so that would be 1/2 the price of an OS.

If I were to would hazard a realistic guess, they would outlast 3-5 OS engines easily. Especially if you have the AAC liner. My .35 has several gallons of fuel through it now and is almost as tight as it was when new - and when new I had to use an electric starter to start it. Hand flipping it was tricky because the piston would get stuck in the pinch repeatedly. Squeaky tight piston fit is a good thing.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Fox made some sub par engines from time to time. But the ones I have are excellent and better than any OS I have had. I have two .50's, one worn out (needs a new sleeve) but still runs good, one .46, and one .15. Only the .15 needs 100% castor.

Many of the Foxes that passed through my hands were real duds, but they all were second hand purchases. I have a NIB .46, a near new .40 (both ABC) and an old lapped .40 that chucked the gudgeon pin clips a few times. I won't ever fly a Fox. I just don't have the confidence in them.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

If I were to would hazard a realistic guess, they would outlast 3-5 OS engines easily. Especially if you have the AAC liner. My .35 has several gallons of fuel through it now and is almost as tight as it was when new - and when new I had to use an electric starter to start it. Hand flipping it was tricky because the piston would get stuck in the pinch repeatedly. Squeaky tight piston fit is a good thing.
I mean't to say 4 times as long. If you check I edited my post to say four times. Twice as long would be par on value not 1/2 price.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

40 that chucked the gudgeon pin clips a few times
Never had that happen. Perhaps a previous owner did not properly install them.

40 that chucked the gudgeon pin clips a few times
Never had that happen. Perhaps a previous owner did not properly install them. My worn out .50 has low compression that a new ring won't fix, but it still has good power, transition, and starts easily. But you need to use a starter if it is hot.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-09-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Never had that happen. Perhaps a previous owner did not properly install them.

The original factory piston chucked the clips and a NOS piston did the same thing. When I installed the clips, I checked several times to ensure the clips were seated fully. Pushing on the gudgeon pin from either side of the piston with a little force did not cause the clips to release, so I assumed it would be fine. I was wrong. I suspect Duke had problems with Pistons cut for circlips because later engines used the roll pin pressed in through the piston skirt and through the gudgeon pin. My ABC .40 is like this, and possibly my .46 as well. I haven't had the .46 apart in awhile, so I can't say for sure. I sold another lapped .40 awhile back and that one had the roll pin retainer as well IIRC.

At any rate, I have some very nice .25 sized engines that make as much or more power than the Fox .40 compact engines. I think the Fox was only good for 13k on a 10x6 APC and 5% nitro fuel (22% castor).
Old 02-09-2017, 07:54 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I never had that happen to any Fox engine either, I even had the prop kick off of a Fox ABC .74 and it sounded like a siren on a fire truck it ran so fast. The circlips stayed put then too. I had a Perry pump carb on the Fox and the pulse driven Perry pump with a Mac's tuned pipe. When the engine stepped up on the pipe it went lean. You can guess the rest. The engine was unharmed, I still have it in fact. I learned to fly with it on a Tower RTC trainer.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I never had that happen to any Fox engine either, I even had the prop kick off of a Fox ABC .74 and it sounded like a siren on a fire truck it ran so fast. The circlips stayed put then too. I had a Perry pump carb on the Fox and the pulse driven Perry pump with a Mac's tuned pipe. When the engine stepped up on the pipe it went lean. You can guess the rest. The engine was unharmed, I still have it in fact. I learned to fly with it on a Tower RTC trainer.

If my 46 doesn't ever sell, I will probably run it. I'm sure if you run a Fox in from new, it would be a good engine... But for me, most of mine were used with unknown provenance, so it's anyone's guess how it was treated. My .40 ABC runs decent both on glow fuel and diesel. That K&B .40 diesel head I got from you fits it perfectly and it runs quite well as a diesel, but power isn't anything to shake a stick at.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Dealspeed

What Do you want for your 46fx?