Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Highest Quality & Reliability 90-size Helicopter Engine

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Highest Quality & Reliability 90-size Helicopter Engine

Old 07-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Sundance2018

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Highest Quality & Reliability 90-size Helicopter Engine

Hi Everybody -
I am looking for advice regarding choosing the highest quality and most reliable 90-size helicopter engine. I've seen and read magazine and hobby-shop type reviews on O.S. engines. YS engines, Thunder Tiger engines...etc. but I'd really love to hear your experiences.
Now, I know you're going to ask what my application is? i.e. 3D, sport, F3C...etc. I really don't have a preference.
Thx - Tom

Last edited by Sundance2018; 07-28-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:15 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

RC Helicopters - RCU Forums

You'll get a much quicker answer there.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:11 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

the OS is a very fine engine, but I would say that "I" think the YS has a bit higher quality to it, or maybe it's just the detailing.. I can't say what one has more power,, buy ether one and you will have one of the top 91 Heli engines

BTW, if this is your first Heli, I would recommend that it would be smarter to buy a 50/55 size, 90's are real monsters for a first Heli !!

Jim
Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 AM
Sundance2018

@Hobbysy, Thanks for the tip I posted there as well.
@The Wasp, thank you, that's good feedback. I actually have a Thunder Tiger X50B Titan Torque Tube versions w/ a TT53 engine in it that I am playing around with as well, but nearly all of my heli flying knowledge has come from using RealFlight simulator. Most of the guys at the clubs I've belonged to highly recommended getting as much flight time in on the simulator before really flying anything. Several have said that if you can find the exact same model on the sim as what you buy then it's like an near identical real world experience. Anyway, what I noticed in flying helis on the simulator is that I am able to control the 90-size sips a little bit better than the 50-size birds. Likewise, anything smaller than a 50 has been really hard for me to see.
Several guys told me to start out cheap and small, which I did, but ended up not so good and I got rid of all my heli gear a few years ago because I became disillusioned with it.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:51 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Several have said that if you can find the exact same model on the sim as what you buy then it's like an near identical real world experience. Anyway, what I noticed in flying helis on the simulator is that I am able to control the 90-size sips a little bit better than the 50-size birds. Likewise, anything smaller than a 50 has been really hard for me to see.
the 90 size ship is more stable and smoother than a 50 so it feels so nice on the stick, but the 90 is faster and accelerates much quicker, and that is what will get you into trouble,, but if you have been flying for a while then you know what to expect, just take time and learn it's power,, let me tell you> when I went from a 30 size to a 50 size my first thought was "wow, this thing's quick"

good luck !!

Jim
Old 07-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Sundance2018

Talking

@Te Wasp: Yeah that makes sense. It's the same with the giant scale airplanes I have found except that with those they're so big that they really help with my eyesight