Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

glow engines are fading away

Old 11-09-2017, 10:50 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Hmmm, nobody's come up with a 60 inch high wing ARF powered by a gas engine inspired by a "Popper", apparently a Saito.

There are tons of high wing ARFs that size, but nothing I would put a gas engine on. It would weigh too much and be overkill in power. Glow fuel doesn't cost much if you're running a four stroke on a 60 inch airplane. Also, a gas 2 stroke sounds nothing like a 4 stroke, so if 4 stroke is what you want to hear, get that.

There's a terrific video of someone flying a Sig LT-25 on a Saito 40. Check out youtube and see if it's the kind of thing you're looking for. The key is that it is light, so a lot of ARFs will not fly like that. You can spend $30 a gallon on fuel and a Saito 40 still won't cost you much to run.

Jim
I fly my LT-40 with a Saito FG-11 gas 4 stroke. You can get it in an ARF, but I prefer to build since I modified it.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:29 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE 66
When I saw the milk truck, the ole' brain cell started working. ASpeed has it covered with a HEMI, and an 'old school' hemi at that (the mid 60's '426' elephant engine and solid running gear.

And the "The Piece of Resis- T - Ance" ( That's redneck talk for French)
Convert it to a PLANE hauler, with the appropriate amenities of supporting operation of aircraft and PILOT.
And call it done !

When I saw the milk truck, "plane hauler" was the first thing that came to my mind, too. It would be awesome !
Old 11-09-2017, 11:42 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is getting more difficult to make street rods now with emission tests, and the cops steal your car and hold you for ransom for about $5,000 if you speed. It is called racing even if by yourself. I sold my Vette, and most of my streetrods. I had considered a small Grumman mail truck. They are quite cute, and have a straight 6, and the mailmen/lady say they are pretty peppy. I did not like the steering wheel on the right, and found a PT Cruiser, and replaced my 30 yr. old Astro van with a 15 year old one. I guess the mail truck would have been enough, and I could have one less vehicle. I do like the PT though, even if it is a Chrysler. The mail truck would have had a flame and carried toys for sure.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Re Acdii: The LT-40 has a 70 inch span, not a 60 inch span. The LT-25 comes close at 63 inches; probably leaving off the tips would get you to 60 if necessary. Not an ARF, but it's a laser cut kit that goes together fast. Hardest part would be covering; use Solartex and it should be easy. Maybe there is an equivalent ARF, but check the weight.

As Hobbsy says, it can be flown with much less than a Saito 40. A buddy's flew great on a plain bearing TT 25; fly against a good strong wind and it would go backwards.

Jim
Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

As Hobbsy says, it can be flown with much less than a Saito 40. A buddy's flew great on a plain bearing TT 25; fly against a good strong wind and it would go backwards.

Backwards, like a Telemaster in a slight breeze.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 PM
acdii

OK an FA-30 with CH ignition.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:59 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Shoot I take building as getting AWAY from them! LOL
Lol, good point!

I have a TV in my shop so I put it on a news channel and mostly listen. I have an old Nintendo from my kids hooked up and I sometimes get an old game out.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Convert you glow engines to spark. No kickback & you can buy alcohol cheap & mix your own fuel. No nitro needed...........
Old 11-11-2017, 08:05 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll pass on spark. Adds weight that isn't necessary. Plus nitro adds power among other things.

I like my glow plugs.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has too do with the airplane. Sometimes your airplane need more weight in front. Also a little bigger engine will give enough power. Just a idea !
Old 11-12-2017, 04:08 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

There's more than one way to skin a cat. My cat likes glow plugs, so I stick with them. Keeps her warm.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM
acdii

You can run glow on ignition and get more power, and leaner burn so less mess.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:23 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

You can run glow on ignition and get more power, and leaner burn so less mess.
The whole problem I have with ignition - is having that extra crap in there. I'll sacrifice a little power (or add a little more nitro) for the simplicity a glow plug provides.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:05 AM
acdii

Thats true, but if you have a plane that can use the extra weight, better to have useful weight than dead weight! Especially true in bipes and Warbirds.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:27 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thats true, but if you have a plane that can use the extra weight, better to have useful weight than dead weight! Especially true in bipes and Warbirds.
Then I add a bigger engine. I have plenty of engines.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM
blw

Bigger is better.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
Bigger is better.
Thats what she said.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 AM
blw

Yes they did say that.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:36 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think glow will go totally away until electric craft can match the flight time, for example, I spent $260 on 2 big batteries (both needed for 1 flight), another couple hundred on a speed controller, another couple hundred on a big brush-less motor. Take the thing out and get a 4 to 5 minute flight, less than that without thoughtful throttle management, Highly annoying. Now the same plane set up with a good glow engine, the plane was lighter, the flight timer is set at 8.5 minutes, and that leaves fuel for a few go-rounds. The plane has less torque, but overall performance was much improved with glow IMO.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 PM
jblossick

Talking

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles
I don't know,but it seems like glow engines are fading into oblivion. Back in the early 1980's, here is what was readily available;; Fox,Enya,Webra,Rossi,Magnum,YS,Thunder Tiger,Supertiger ASP,Etc. Now it seems like OS,and Evolution are about it. Its' all going to electric now.
It's true, many engine brands have disappeared since the 80's. But,there are still quite a few brands of glow engines available. MECOA manufactures in limited quantity and sizes, K&B, HB, HP, RJL and their own brand .45. In addition, there's still .Rossi, Jett, Nelson, Enya (which can be had direct from Japan), YS (who just came out with a limited .60 pumper), Magnum is still kicking too. Kangke Industrial USA also sells SK, and JBA engines. There's O.S. as you mentioned and Evolution. The real problem I think is that local hobby shops don't stock many glow engines.
Glow engine are my thing but I do have a couple of Park Zone electrics but that's about it for me. Until someone can put a smoke system in an electric I may consider going larger.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:24 AM
Mark Powell

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
The whole problem I have with ignition - is having that extra crap in there. I'll sacrifice a little power (or add a little more nitro) for the simplicity a glow plug provides.
Size for size glow engines, both two stroke and four stroke, are more powerful than gasoline engines. (Just check the BHP on the OS site.) Even on 'straight' fuel, which contains no nitromethane.

A check on the fuel/air ratio required for good combustion, and the calorific value of the two will show why. The increased amount of methanol required compared to gasoline far outweighs its lower calorific value.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 AM
Mark Powell

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
I don't think glow will go totally away until electric craft can match the flight time, for example, I spent $260 on 2 big batteries (both needed for 1 flight), another couple hundred on a speed controller, another couple hundred on a big brush-less motor. Take the thing out and get a 4 to 5 minute flight, less than that without thoughtful throttle management, Highly annoying. Now the same plane set up with a good glow engine, the plane was lighter, the flight timer is set at 8.5 minutes, and that leaves fuel for a few go-rounds. The plane has less torque, but overall performance was much improved with glow IMO.
I agree.

Among other things I like to build 90mm and 120mm EDFs. It difficult to get a duration of more than about 7 minutes out of them, even with good 'throttle management'.
Then there is the cost. In addition to the costs you mention, if you want to fly 'continually' you need an absolute minimum of two sets of batteries, preferably three, so you can charge them while flying on the other one.
And by the time you have paid for all this a turbine is not much more expensive, and lighter, particularly on landing as you have used up most of the fuel. 'Fuel' weight for 'fuel' weight turbines have a longer duration too. Unfortunately they are not allowed at our site as we have a high fire risk.

And as for electric helis, the small ones are OK as you don't expect much duration, but once you go electric on '40' size and up they are hopeless. They may just complete a competition schedule but for 'Sunday flying' their duration is far too short.

So other than EDFs I only use electric for small planes.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:26 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Mark Powell
Size for size glow engines, both two stroke and four stroke, are more powerful than gasoline engines. (Just check the BHP on the OS site.) Even on 'straight' fuel, which contains no nitromethane.

A check on the fuel/air ratio required for good combustion, and the calorific value of the two will show why. The increased amount of methanol required compared to gasoline far outweighs its lower calorific value.
Many people equate spark ignition with gasoline fuel. BUT... Some folks use glow fuel with spark ignition too - which is what I would do -IF- if I converted some to ignition. BUT - the added cost of the ignitions is a turn-off; for the price of a couple or few ignition units and spark plugs, I can buy a gallon of nitro and a 5gal pail of methanol
and probably some oil too for the same price or cheaper.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:19 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just can't see buying all the ignition parts, adding all the weight, finding a place to put it in the fuselage, charging yet another battery (I am so tired of batteries, even just for receiver packs) Then multiply that times 50 for each plane in the squadron. Not when I have so many motors to choose from in the drawers that are so great. As long as I can buy glow plugs I will be happy. Long live Al Kelly of Merlin plugs. Electric, may be OK as two of certain size batteries is ok, like the micro 150, 1,200. 2,200 mah size. Anything larger is a waste of (my) money. MECOA is not a good thing IMHO. I feel a pain in my tummy when I hear that they have taken over a line of great motors that decided to quit production. Us old cheap guys don't spend big cash on motors like the dune buggy racers going with the "motor of the week" that is $700. It seems like a one man push and he is tired and old like me. To really go, there needs to be some extra younger hires, and yet again, pricing did cause the downfall of the previous manufacturer. Also young machinists are hard to find. All they seem to know is the start button on a CNC.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

After market stuff just adds to the fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 1.50 TH and vent.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2245257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .80 C&H Ignition.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2245258  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.