Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

glow engines are fading away

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I fly electric now as well as the glow I have always flown. It's just another segment of the hobby.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:24 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Kmot
I fly electric now as well as the glow I have always flown. It's just another segment of the hobby.

I'm with you.. I fly gas, glow and electric. I have my preference, but all these forms of power get me in the air, and allow me to enjoy the hobby.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it is not just about mere "change". I like the sound of an Engine. And Electrics seem to be less safe, from exploding batteries to instant on cutting people more than ever. These stories keep appearing in Model Aviation over and over and over again! Engines don't come on instantly and when they are running you can hear them and most of the time that is enough to make you think twice about putting your hand in spinning prop! Also my partner in the hobby has also said that if we get forced to change to electric then He's out as well!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:06 AM
mrhp
My Feedback: (49)

I gave it a try and they just suck and there heavy when you compare hp/flight time
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I can see how E-Flying can give another aspect to the hobby, but for me a running, fuel eating fire spitting engine gives something to the hobby that no E-Flying motor never will give to the hobby!! those little Glow engines are many thousands of times cooler, neater, funner than any E motor will ever be

I know that is not written well, but that's the facts Jack

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-16-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 AM
gregoryshock

I fly Electric in the gym where it makes sense on extremely small models but for outdoors I want the Engine!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:51 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have always liked glow. Do have a couple of small electrics . Helis and planes . Electric does work good for the smaller helis. I keep a couple of cases of fuel at all times. This past winter I picked up 5 more glow engines at swap meets.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:43 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles
I don't know,but it seems like glow engines are fading into oblivion. Back in the early 1980's, here is what was readily available;; Fox,Enya,Webra,Rossi,Magnum,YS,Thunder Tiger,Supertiger ASP,Etc. Now it seems like OS,and Evolution are about it. Its' all going to electric now.
Ditto. Glow is alive and well.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmot
Same here. Another plus is that many people who start on electric do graduate to IC eventually. The others often just go away.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see it. I think there is just something missing in the hobby, when you take glow fuel or gas away. the sound of the engine is half of what a flying plane is all about. I think you'll see similar replies from most of the older generation of flyers and the recognition af electric will come from the newer generation. it goes right along with the preference to build vs. buy ARF planes seen between the two age groups. I feel sorry for the hobby in the future. the younger generation is becoming useless, they know nothing about cars or fixing anything. all they know is that something is broken or not working right and they need to buy a new one.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 AM
mrhp

Originally Posted by r ward
I can't see it. I think there is just something missing in the hobby, when you take glow fuel or gas away. the sound of the engine is half of what a flying plane is all about. I think you'll see similar replies from most of the older generation of flyers and the recognition af electric will come from the newer generation. it goes right along with the preference to build vs. buy ARF planes seen between the two age groups. I feel sorry for the hobby in the future. the younger generation is becoming useless, they know nothing about cars or fixing anything. all they know is that something is broken or not working right and they need to buy a new one.
Exactly
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by mrhp
Exactly
Really ?

I've been flying since the 50's. Some of my club members have been at it longer than me. Out of that group, I'm the only one who still flies glow and gas. The rest fly electric, exclusively.

All of them used to build. Now, I'm one of the few builders in my club.

If the younger generation is becoming useless, because they fly electric ARFs, (as suggested in this thread) then these 20-30 older members of my club are useless, too.

Sweeping generalizations, formed to back up one's opinion, do not do our hobby any good. Trying to "prove" that one form of power is superior to another only serves to back up one's personal bias.

There is no superior form of power. There are only opinions that purport to say that there is.

In reality, the best form of power is the one that serves each individual the best. If you prefer glow, so be it, but that doesn't mean that it's the best form of power for everyone.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 AM
mrhp

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Really ?

I've been flying since the 50's. Some of my club members have been at it longer than me. Out of that group, I'm the only one who still flies glow and gas. The rest fly electric, exclusively.

If the younger generation is becoming useless, because they fly electric ARFs, (as suggested in this thread) then these 20-30 older members of my club are useless, too.

Sweeping generalizations, formed to back up one's opinion, do not do our hobby any good. Trying to "prove" that one form of power is superior to another only serves to back up one's personal bias.

There is no superior form of power. There are only opinions that purport to say that there is.

In reality, the best form of power is the one that serves each individual the best. If you prefer glow, so be it, but that doesn't mean that it's the best form of power for everyone.
dont blow it out of proportion..you know exactly what he is talking about
Old 07-19-2018, 08:52 AM
mrhp

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Really ?

I have been a mechanic for 40 plus years and i see young ones coming into that as well and all they want to do is keep ear buds in and disconnected and throw parts at it instead of repairing. So if you been im the hoddy that long i inow damn well you know what were talking about
Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 AM
gregoryshock

I don't think we should be arguing over generations. There are a lot of factors to figure in. I think ARFs are for people who don't have time to build a full kit, or they have trouble with building, or they just don't want to build a full kit. Electric has it's place, but I don't want to be forced by the industry or government to go to Electric. If one or both of those things happen then I'm quiting the hobby. I hope that clarifies what I meant.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly electric indoors at home and in my backyard. I have flown the university coliseum a lot. Electric will never replace glow engines for me. That's just the way it is. But, after reading all the comments I realized that electric kinda reminds me of rubber powered planes. Especially with indoor models. I have a few Comet kits that I need to build one day to fly electric. If you are a glowhead and can't make it to the flying field, you can still find small parks or parking lots to fly electric. Flying in the living room, sitting on the sofa, and flying into the kitchen to pester my wife sure is fun. I once hovered way up over the living room ceiling light and the rotorwash blew up all the dust in it. I just hovered behind that and blew it under the sofa. I got busted when I was watching flight videos much later and my wife saw the video of me doing that.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I think formed foam is very over priced
Old 07-20-2018, 04:47 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
And.. ... .. ...

Distributors, dealers, and manufacturers give high profit markets a lot more promotion and attention.

We once had an absolutely beautiful, large grass field. The foamiebunch kept bringing out smaller and smaller planes. Didn't take long before they expect to take off and land the little critters with their nickle-size plastic wheels from the ground. We now have an ugly tarp runway along the edge of the field. "Progress", I guess.

I fly electric but I always flew planes that worked with the field. Never had a problem and really loved the old field.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-20-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:15 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Agree. Hard for me to pay $100- 200 for a chunk of foam.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Not only glow engines is diminishing ...Model flying is too! At least over here in Sweden! There are no balsa kits to buy and people seem to build and fly less. Only small electric foamies, helis or ARF planes at the field.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM
thechromeshop

Im an old scooler and THE engines of the day were ops rossi ys. Now nova-rossi has some killer glows and really inexpensive. Just gets boring with the whirr and short flight times.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM
thechromeshop

I tend to agree,when I go to the feild,lucky to see anybody And if anyone is there,they are flying electric pre-built foams
Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 AM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chunk of foam

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
Agree. Hard for me to pay $100- 200 for a chunk of foam.
Won't even keep the beer cold!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:44 PM
Twanger

Default Not in my hangar.

The only thing fading away for me, is the cost. I've been given several used glow engines, and gleaned some vintage classics off eBay. I can't stand a glow engine that won't run, so it's fun for me to make it run. People usually will give to someone they know will appreciate and enjoy. Free engines, free fuel tanks, heck, even free fuel, and an occasional free airplane. Clearing out the old to make room for the new. I like to tinker. Not everyone can put up with the oil that gets on things, but I find it makes my hands "Baby Soft" Nothing against electric.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Twanger
The only thing fading away for me, is the cost. I've been given several used glow engines, and gleaned some vintage classics off eBay. I can't stand a glow engine that won't run, so it's fun for me to make it run. People usually will give to someone they know will appreciate and enjoy. Free engines, free fuel tanks, heck, even free fuel, and an occasional free airplane. Clearing out the old to make room for the new. I like to tinker. Not everyone can put up with the oil that gets on things, but I find it makes my hands "Baby Soft" Nothing against electric.
Well said. I had a pile of engines thrown into my lap for free - maybe 25-30 or so. Bought a few nice new ones, traded some stuff for other new ones. Got about 60 engines in the drawer, most wont be parted with. Gonna sell a few good ones to finance other projects though. 15III steel fin, 25LA, 25FSR, and 60FSR are for sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.