Abbeydog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Evolution .46 or 0.S. .46?

Well hey there! I am thinking about getting back into flying again after a long layoff. The Sig senior kadet ARF looks good for my trainer with an O.S. .46 or Evo .46.
O.S. was a "no problems for me" engine, but I like the pipe muffler option on the Evo for a later Sig arf.
Soooo, makes the most power, and more importantly,
are there reliability problems etc. With the Evo?
Thanks in advance, Scott.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Abbeydog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oops, I meant who makes the most power
Old 10-23-2017, 04:18 PM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No answer all day, I will go out on a limb. My Evo .40 outrevs every OS that I have, FX AX FP LA SF. Even the .46s. I would guess the .46 Evo to be better. All checked with 10%, MA 10-6, and no muffler, in case mufflers were a problem. See if there are more responses now.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wasn't going to post because I'm such a hater, but I'll bite. What the hell.. . Go for chrome. Evolution makes a nice engine and they're real ABC.

Hell, come to think of it.... I think OS and EVO are now made in the same country even!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 AM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lol, good one there Tim. Same country. That's a knee slapper for sure.
I've bought 8 46NTs. Well, one was given to me by a guy who said his wouldn't run and he was going to toss it in the trash. I offered to take it off his hands and $20 for postage got me the engine. IMO, the NT is machined to higher tolerances and most certainly has more power. Just remember to replace the fuel tubing running from the remote needle valve to the carb. That's an easy job that only takes a minute. And, be sure you're running OS A6 glow plugs.
Here's the final test to help you decide- compare repair parts prices. The OS is going to cost you around 50-60% more every time.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:58 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine ran fast and since then I took off the flywheel weight. Maybe it will be even better. I have not seen too may at swap meets but will pick them up now, not that I need more motors. I don't mind made in China. It is kind of the new Made in Japan. They can stay there and work and seem to be able to get by. If they come here and get paid minimum wage, they would have a harder time. I think the quality is more up to the importers and their QC, and what they accept (and are willing to pay for) I have some Russian engines that are very very poor quality, and others that are better than anything else period. A $35 motor, and a $250 motor. Oh, the Chinese hired my son for a year. Something that no one here would do, and at work we had a few contracts with the Chinese that got us through some tough times. The U.S. pretty much abandoned us and then paid us less and less for the products.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:19 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by blw View Post
Lol, good one there Tim. Same country. That's a knee slapper for sure.
I've bought 8 46NTs. Well, one was given to me by a guy who said his wouldn't run and he was going to toss it in the trash. I offered to take it off his hands and $20 for postage got me the engine. IMO, the NT is machined to higher tolerances and most certainly has more power. Just remember to replace the fuel tubing running from the remote needle valve to the carb. That's an easy job that only takes a minute. And, be sure you're running OS A6 glow plugs.
Here's the final test to help you decide- compare repair parts prices. The OS is going to cost you around 50-60% more every time.
Evolution engines are made in China or Taiwan - same difference really. OS has moved production of many or most of their engines to China as well. No knee slapping here. Dead serious. The real difference is whether you want your liner to peel or not. If not, get the Evo. It'll outlast the OS and cost half as much and probably make more power.

CHINA FTW!!
Old 10-28-2017, 04:15 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Either engine will provide plenty of power for the Kadet Senior Sport ARF.

I flew mine on a .32 sized electric, and it would perform normal sport type aerobatics.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The one thing that I liked on the new 46 NT's is the tight pinch each engine had. And no missing parts, like glow plugs.

Getting around the ban on chrome plating in Japan probably had a big role in the decision to move manufacturing too......if OS is going to use chrome like the other 99% of engine companies.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by blw View Post
The one thing that I liked on the new 46 NT's is the tight pinch each engine had. And no missing parts, like glow plugs.

Getting around the ban on chrome plating in Japan probably had a big role in the decision to move manufacturing too......if OS is going to use chrome like the other 99% of engine companies.
Not likely. Enya metal products is still very much in business and uses hard chrome in several of their engines. Their AAC constructed engines are fantastic. By the time an Enya is worn out, you would have worn out a dozen OS's. Enya also uses what they call ABN but is actually a form of Nikasil - they just don't call it that due to Nikasil being a trade name.

Search this Thread