Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

After run oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 02:23 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That'll work, if variety is the spice of life you nailed it. I'm more of a one thing or one way at a time though I've never let myself get in a rut. I try new things.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:42 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE] I've never let myself get in a rut. I try new things./QUOTE]

how about one of those tank top shirts at the bottom of the page LOL

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 05-06-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
I believe he was alluding to the caution comment regarding the use of Klotz as an after run or storage oil. That caution has been on many pre-mix synthetic oils for years.
Well I have 3 bottles of Sig Technoplate and no where on the bottle does it warn about using it as an after run or storage oil. To me an after run oil is short term till the next outing a storage oil is long term like over the winter months and in that case I use a fogging oil. In fact I have several synthetic pre mix oils and I cannot find one that has any warning/caution about using it as a after run/storage oil.

From the Klotz site read the last line.

• Recommended for 2 and 4-stroke glow engines
• TC-W3 certified warranty compliant
• Designed for 2 and 4-stroke Pre-mix gas powered high-performance R/C engines
• Fast easier starts
• Improves throttle response
• Identifiable Klotz red...Smells like Klotz
• Clean Burn™ low smoke helps prevent plug fouling
• Tested at fuel ratios up to 150:1
• Excellent after-run lubricant for glow fuel engines

When I contacted Klotz and asked about using it as an after run oil for short term use they told me no problem and recommended a good fogging oil for long term. I have used thier products for years in go-carts, motorcycles, boats etc and never ever had an issue. I think I will continue to follow the recommendation they provided. The only thing I found on the Klotz label was premix only and was told that it was there only to stop someone from using it as an sump type engine oil not because you could not use it as an after run oil. I was informed they had better products for long term storage and that was the fogging oil.

To me after run oil is different than storage oil. This morning I looked at other synthetic oils at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and Princess China and couldn't find a single one that specifically warned against using any of them as an after run or storage oil.

Dennis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
KL-310 Tech Sheet.pdf (847.7 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Propworn; 05-06-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry, perhaps I should have said Klotz has had that disclaimer for several years and some other makers have had similar notices. Often these notices are made after the makers were forced to pay a damage claim.

In any event,most premix synthetic oils as sold in the US are not a good choice as a storage oil. They readily absorb moisture and corrosive elements rather than displace and disperse.
Oils used as after run oil often become the storage oil by default.

IIRC. Sig oil is repackaged Klotz

My Kart racing days were in the middle 1960s. Loads of fun,always alky fueled.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Propworn

Sorry, perhaps I should have said Klotz has had that disclaimer for several years and some other makers have had similar notices. Often these notices are made after the makers were forced to pay a damage claim.

In any event,most premix synthetic oils as sold in the US are not a good choice as a storage oil. They readily absorb moisture and corrosive elements rather than displace and disperse.
Oils used as after run oil often become the storage oil by default.

My Kart racing days were in the middle 1960s. Loads of fun,always alky fueled.
There is nothing I have read on any of the labels of the oils I could find stating not not to use it as after run oil or storage oil for that matter. In fact if you bothered to read the PDF file the flyer from Klotz states the opposite of what you claim is on their labels. Point me to one label that has the disclaimer about using it for after run or storage oil. Saying so does not make it so. Maybe years ago it might have had some merit but not one of the modern oils that I have been able to read have that disclaimer. Sorry like I said I have been using it for years with no problem what so ever. Just because you say its bad for the internals doesn't make it so I have found things to be shiny and clean when a motor had to be taken down.

Dennis
Old 05-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Propworn

When it looked like Sig was about to close up shop the local hobby shop had 4 bottles on the shelf reduced to a buck apiece. I bought them and contacted Klotz and was told by the way they were not repackaged at all but ordered and labelled for Sig from the Klotz factory and the contents were identical to the Klotz special formula racing oil only in a smaller container for modelling use. In fact that's exactly what it says on the printed lable 2-cycle racing oil. 16 fluid oz..

Dennis
Old 05-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Hobbsy

Sorry Jim, I screwed up and hit edit instead of quote.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Hobbsy

This what I run in my FG 11 and my Husqvarna 50 cc chain saw.

Won't mix with petrol oils but will mix with gasoline.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Jesse Open

This whole goofy scenario began when someone had a snarky comment about a picture of a Klotz label. I simply pointed out the on subject section of that label. Klotz took the time to print and present that information for good reasons. Flame them. I have been using Klotz products for decades with excellent results. Their directions are worthy of note. Use whatever works for you. I know of far better choices for storage oil. If you think that their label is wrong ,take it up with Klotz. After all how would they know?

Regardless who packed the oil , the name on the label is the first responsible party

Last edited by Jesse Open; 05-06-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:49 PM
Jesse Open

Hello Dave. The above comment was not directed at you

I talked with Klotz folks since nearly day one. They are also at the Toledo show regularly. Good people

Klotz has many oils in their lineup. The Techiplate synthetic that mixes with methanol is what we were talking about. They now also have a “gasser” oil wc-3 certified that may be okay as after run. Not familiar with that since I use Stihl oil in my chainsaws and don’t fly gasoline planes anymore.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 05-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:18 AM
Hobbsy

I know sir, I just threw that in there for joinin in.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Propworn

Hello Dave. The above comment was not directed at you

I talked with Klotz folks since nearly day one. They are also at the Toledo show regularly. Good people

Klotz has many oils in their lineup. The Techiplate synthetic that mixes with methanol is what we were talking about. They now also have a “gasser” oil wc-3 certified that may be okay as after run. Not familiar with that since I use Stihl oil in my chainsaws and don’t fly gasoline planes anymore.

You can do what you want. There was no warning on the original containers, I spoke with tech support on the phone and also again at Toledo and was told it would work as short term after run oil. In the many years I have been doing this I have not seen one incidence of damage to the internals. I will continue to do as I have done for years. It works for me and the motors always come apart clean and shiny. When the little bit I have left is finally used up I will have to check out the oil I sent you the link to it has on the label that it can be used as an after run oil and it may let you sleep better at night LOL.

The label you show is a different blend as it has 20% castor blend and appears to be methanol only. The oil I purchased states its 100% synthetic with no warning on the label and it is supposed to mix with gas as well as its stated use is for popular 2 strokes such as motorcycles, atvs, go-karts and snowmobiles. So we are not talking a methanol only formula.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 05-07-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Jesse Open

The warning has not appeared on the synthetic based gasser bottle either. Klotz has many products better to specify which Klotz is listed as a good "after run" oil can be problematic at times. The warning is in place and appears on Klotz Techniplate products. 1QwikSport2.5 made a good point. Nothing there to bash. Many gasser types feel no need for ARO anyhow.
After run oils often become storage oil by default. All of that aside, there are after run oils that are a lot better at the task. Just as there are friendlier ways to discuss the subject
Old 05-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Propworn

By the way Techniplate is not a product but a process/additives they use in the manufacture of most if not all their synthetic concoctions. I don't see a single warning on the ones I have and nothing in the technical fact sheets on their web site.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Jesse Open

I believe it may be both a process
name and a name for a line of products. It does carry a trademark. Processes in the USA are Patented. Trade or product names are trademarked.

KL 198 Techniplate straight synthetic oil. Says to use Klotz KL 610 fogging oil as an after run or storage oil No mention of different oils for those purposes.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Jesse Open

Also note , just like KL 198 I mentioned;
The Original Techniplate Oil that Hobbsy shows says to use Klotz fogging oil KL610 They do not suggest using it as after run or storage oil.

Addendum 5-8-2018

I spoke in person on the phone today with Klotz Tech Support "Jeff". A few notes:
I asked him directly and specifically.
The only Klotz R/C pre-mix that is recommended as an after run or storage oil is the R/C MODELUBE® GASBURNER® oil. The Gasburner oil is a very good after run and storage for gas or glow fuel. Klotz also offers KL-610 fogging oil.
Gasburner does not mix with alcohol.

None of the other TECHNIPLATE® oils are recommended a desireable after run or storage oil.

They also offer a lighter weight KL-198® LITE TECHNIPLATE® that is intended for larger glow engines. This is for larger engines with higher fuel flow rates.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 05-08-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Propworn

Also note , just like KL 198 I mentioned;
The Original Techniplate Oil that Hobbsy shows says to use Klotz fogging oil KL610 They do not suggest using it as after run or storage oil.

Addendum 5-8-2018

I spoke in person on the phone today with Klotz Tech Support "Jeff". A few notes:
I asked him directly and specifically.
The only Klotz R/C pre-mix that is recommended as an after run or storage oil is the R/C MODELUBE® GASBURNER® oil. The Gasburner oil is a very good after run and storage for gas or glow fuel. Klotz also offers KL-610 fogging oil.
Gasburner does not mix with alcohol.

None of the other TECHNIPLATE® oils are recommended a desireable after run or storage oil.

They also offer a lighter weight KL-198® LITE TECHNIPLATE® that is intended for larger glow engines. This is for larger engines with higher fuel flow rates.

Look tired of going back and forth with you when neither of us are an expert on Klotz oils so I emailed tech support. Here is my email:

I have been using Klotz Techniplate sold under the Sig lable for years. I used it because my fuel was Wildcat and they used
Klotz in their blend. When I felt the need to increase the oil content what better to add than what is already being used in the fuel.

I also asked at the Toledo show if I could add pure Klotz to my engines as a short term after run oil and was told it would be ok.
Now I get guys telling me that I may be damaging the engines doing this and there is a disclaimer on some of the new containers
that say not to use it as after run oil.

I have used this oil as a short term after run oil for many years and any engine I have taken apart came apart clean and shiny
no hint of rust or corrosion any where.

I like the idea of only using ingredients that run in the engine and not introduce other products like transmission fluid, steering fluid, WD 40,
marvel mystery oil and the like.

Advice please
Dennis Pratt

And here is their reply:

Dennis, Thanks for using Klotz products for your engines. I like your thinking about using the same oil that is in the wildcat blend. You have done some research on these products. You are using Klotz KL-200 that is packaged from Sig. This product can be used as a short term after run oil. You’ve had good luck with this combination. My 42 years experience here at Klotz confirms what you are doing. For a long term storage I would use KL-310 R/C Modelube with gasoline. And or Kl-610 Fog-On aerosol. If you were to ask 6 people how to handle this issue you would 6 different answers. Increasing the oil content is not a bad idea because each engine is different and you need a peace of mind when using a product. My experience here at Klotz with R/C engines has been ongoing for years and helping fuel blenders that use or products has been very satisfying. Thanks again for using Klotz.

Joe Horstman
Joe Horstman Process Blender
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants, Inc.

Nuff said I think we should just agree to disagree.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Jesse Open

"Short term" ...."OK" (?)

Early on I commented that short term often becomes long term or storage by default.
Two different people at Klotz and only two very slightly different answers.
Jeff, the fellow I talked to said it is a good idea to use the Gasburner or 610. oil for short or long term , after run or storage oil . This is exactly as I was told at the Toledo show as well. I did not however lead them with what I was doing as you did. I asked what they recommend. They were very positive about the benefit of after run with all synthetic oiled R/C engines.

I don't recall anybody saying you were "damaging" your engines. Certainly not me. I did comment that there are better choices than what you are using, for after run or storage. If KL-610 works better for long term, odds are it is fine for short term as well.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 05-08-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I don’t really care what anyone else uses in their engines. My bottle of Klotz KL-200 (original Techniplate) says NO to use as a storage oil. That’s fine anyway - because I prefer mineral ATF. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper and I don’t worry about it breaking down into nasty stuff. I would not trust what the oil company says as much as the engine manufacturer. The oil company wants to sell oil, so they will tell you what they want you to hear so you buy more of their (expensive) product.

If its good enough for my car and truck, it’s good enough for my model engines.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 05-09-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:59 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I don’t really care what anyone else uses in their engines. My bottle of Klotz KL-200 (original Techniplate) says NO to use as a storage oil. That’s fine anyway - because I prefer mineral ATF. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper and I don’t worry about it breaking down into nasty stuff. I would not trust what the oil company says as much as the engine manufacturer. The oil company wants to sell oil, so they will tell you what they want you to hear so you buy more of their (expensive) product.

If its good enough for my car and truck, it’s good enough for my model engines.
Exactly
Klotz is a fine oil for a running engine but not an effective ARO/storage oil. ( R/C MODELUBE® GASBURNER® aside) ATF is one of the best choices. The "OK...for short term" is in no way a hearty endorsement by the factory rep . Especially when he adds for long term....you should use something else! I have pulled apart MANY engines that were full of decomposed snotty slime remnants of synthetic oil.

What I had tried to explain was that the lone Klotz pre mix oil that was offered as ARO capable is the R/C MODELUBE® GASBURNER® oil. Can't build a case for KL-200 based on the Gasburner exception.
Aside from GASBURNER® , the remaining Klotz oils either say don't use as ARO, use fogging oil or no mention.The Klotz fellow I spoke with said directly NONE of them other than GASBURNER® should be used as ARO or storage oil. The only synthetic I have ever used was synthetic ATF and that was in YS engines.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 05-10-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 AM
Hobbsy

I can say without any hesitation that Corrosion X is perfectly safe for long term. My Snorer .55 has been its original box for 9 years now and the CX is exactly as I left it. And it doesn't screw up YS components.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 AM
Jesse Open

Good stuff, no doubt, never has been. There are similar products like LPS TKX spray that also work very well. EvemWD-40 now has a "Gel" lube that looks like it could work well as an ARO.

ATF remains a favorite because it is easy to source and works well.

There are oils that are sold as running oil that are not desireable as after run or storage oils. So much so that the manufacturer suggests you use something else for that purpose.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:57 AM
Propworn

Like they said 6 different people 6 different opinions. All I know is after 50 plus years of dinking with engines of all sorts and lubes of all kinds what I'm doing works extremely well for me. From the early days of Castol R and pure Castor, straight grade, non detergent to multi grade and synthetics. When I felt it appropriate I have used all of them for short term lube or after run oil if you wish to call it that. Last run of the day run the engine dry then a few drops down the spark plug hole, in the carb and crank case vent if accessible. During the season the next usage would be from a few days away to maybe a week. End of season where its going to be put away for a month or more then fogging is the only way I would store it. In the early days racing karts, outboards and dirt bikes it was common to do what they called pickling the engine for long term storage. Fogging oil became the norm and was much easier and economical. No short term after run does not ever become by default long term storage oil. Maybe in your world it does but not in mine.

Like I said enough of this blather sounds to me like someone is an expert at memorizing something they have read and has less experience on the practical side to me. I concede to Mr. Know it all that he can quote labels and tech sheets off every oil container on the market today. On the practical side what has worked for me these many years I will continue to use the same method that has resulted in the success I have enjoyed through the many years.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Jesse Open

Why get personal? No need for name calling.
After 50 plus years of working with engines of all kinds and types.Being a part owner/ operator in an automotive machine shop for 12 years you do tend to learn and memorize quite a bit. Not just your own engines but those of many others. Flown RC since 1962, built several drag motorcycles and cars including a supercharged twin engine side by side top fuel bike. Yea yea , raced karts, dirt bikes too (1965 on up until my son took it up in the 1980s)

All of that "personal stuff aside; In the real world, people often run an engine, put it away intending to run it within a few weeks. Life often gets in the way and that engine may sit for months or years instead.
You can try to hang your hat on some difference between ARO and storage. Fact remains, Klotz KL200 based oils are not high on the list for either, and that is putting it kindly.

For after run/ storage, there are indeed many products that work. Some, like Klotz Super Techniplate, as well as a few others,are not so good. In fact it is a good practice to PURGE that oil as many do after the day's run.

Klotz products are great running oils but not so great ARO or especially storage oil. Klotz has but one oil they recommend as after run/storage oil; That is the Gasburner oil . For the other products they say to use their fogging oil for after run or storage.
One product they specifically discourage as a storage oil.

I don't memorize labels but I do read them when I use the product.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 05-10-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Propworn

Like I said I think your full of it. I've seen this before dragging out the so called credentials to make your point. What next some degree from Jiffy Lube LOL!!!!

Last edited by Propworn; 05-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.