Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Motor for the SIG Kadet Senior

Old 09-26-2003, 08:22 PM
sackingsfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor for the SIG Kadet Senior

ok now i am faced wit a tough decision since i know nothing about engines nad i need to get one. what engine do you recamend for the kadet senior. some people have told me the os max .46 is a good engine but i am not sure what to get. any recamendations on motor or prop would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 09:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Motor for the SIG Kadet Senior

I've seen a lot of different engines on the Kadet Senior. They range for a OS 35 FP on up to a Super Tiger 75.

There should be nothing wrong with a OS 46 FX. Other engines in this size and power range would be good also.

You should shop for a engine at your local Hobby Shop first. See what he has, what he rec ommends, and what his prices are. It would be to your benefit to shop around some and know your prices. Shop for the best deal.

There are other engines that have close to the same power as the 46 FX. They would include the Thunder Tiger Pro 46, GMS 47, Tower 46, Irvine 46, & Magnum XLS 46. My apologies to whomever I left out their favorite engine.

There are also 4 four strokes that will work well in your planes such as the OS 52 FS, Magnum 52, and 61, Saito 50 & 56, etc. including the Thunder Tiger 54.

Your plane is a very versitle plane as for as engine selection shop around and pick your favorite one.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 09-26-2003, 10:03 PM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

A new friend at are club has one with Enya 50 seems like it has good power and runs well.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:24 PM
blue62
My Feedback: (3)

i highly recommend the magnum 46 xls. very strong and idles very good too. just be ready to run any engine you get for at LEAST a half gallon of fuel before you try to fly it, they have to be broken in before they will perform well. i have a maggie 46 on the plane in my avatar and the guy who is training me said " dang this thing hauls a**"!!! we hadta to throttle it down to about 1/3 throttle to just do lazy flying! and it loops with just half throttle.

now i know you are goin to get all kinds of folks telling you about their favorite engines and what is good/bad. i am just telling you my experience with this motor.

oh yes one more thing...i bought mine at my LHS and i didn't have quite enough money for it and guess what...he knocked off 15% of the price so i could afford it!! see if tower will do that!!!

go shopping and check prices then get the best engine you can afford, that way it will last for your next plane.

john
Old 09-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Blindrage

My senior arrives early next week and I am putting and OS FS 91 pumped in it.

This is a bit much, but you don't have to fly any plane at full power.

Enjoy the fun.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:20 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Blind:

...putting an OS FS 91 pumped in it. This is a bit much,
I strongly disagree. That's not "A bit much" thats Way too ^%$ing much!!!

And not merely in power. The weight is also extreme.

Bill.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 09-27-2003, 10:49 AM
dwheeler42

I'm flying my Kadet Senior on a Magnum 46 right now. It flys pretty much like it was designed to. This is a slow flyer and can even be flown with a .35 size engine. But now if you really want to see a little more umph in this bird, I flew my that was set up for a cross-country event. I had set it up with barndoor ailerons, added 3-16oz fuel tanks and 1-10oz fuel tank, re-inforced the fuse with hardwood instead of balsa, decreased the wing attack angle of incidence by 1/4 ", and powered it with a OS 70 surpass II and a Perry-pump. (was needed to keep fuel to carb). Even loaded with about 1/2 gallon of fuel this plane had plenty of power. But for the event I was still able to fly 25-35 mph without any problems. This plane is a great haul plane. (Thought about taking my little dog for a flight but wife wouldn't let me) I put large balloon tires and made it a tail-dragger and now I fly it off the beach at the lake. With the smaller engine I've been able to even fly backwards with a good breeze. I'm planning to put floats on this plane and thinking about loading it up with video system. Should produce some excellent vidoe.

Good luck and have a great flight

The R/C Pile it.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:52 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

Default Mine had Webra 60 on pipe

My shoulder wing Kadet Senior mod had Webra 60 on pipe. Unlimited vertical!
I especially liked the sound of the engine at idle, just like a bike making intermittent noise.
Too bad a radio glitch brought a complete destruction to my Barby Racer...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27337.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	64201  
Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

A guy at our club flies one with an OS .61. It's not overpowered for take offs off a grass field. Throttle back to about 1/3 for relaxed flying.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:02 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Even though this is a fairly large but light model, it can be flown succesfully with a 46 size engine but performance would be quite docile as designed. A 60 size engine would be a much better long term choice especially if flown from a grass field, and would be available for service in more advanced models later in your modelling career. HTH
Old 09-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Blindrage

The reuse of the engine was my main reason for slapping the 91 on this bird.

I do not plan to be in this plane very long and the OS 70 Ultimate was my first engine choice, but not shipping yet.

The 91 will probably never fly at over half power, but will be great in my next plane. Just not sure what that plane is going to be yet.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Checklst

She will be way over powered with a 91 but one gentleman at out field has a 91fx with a 3 blade prop and it flys great and I guess that's what the throttle is for.

A word of warning on a Kadet SR with Barn door Ailerons, I was in an inverted dive a full throttle with my Satio 72FS and I experienced the worst AILERON FLUTTER I HAVE EVER SEEN, overpowering can cause a problem if you forget you are flying a big slow trainer THROTTLE CONTROL is key to keeping this model together with large engines.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:03 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flew one this summer (my students) with both my old OS Surpass .48 and later a newer .52 Surpass.

With the 52, it will loop from level flight and is a sweet bird, designed to fly slow and steady. I cant see putting anything more (well, maybe a 70 surpass) on it for a trainer or sport flyer. We fly off a rough grass field and it takes off fine.

AJC
Old 09-11-2004, 04:45 AM
SigMan

would a magnum .61 4 -stroke be a good choice for this plane?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:52 PM
iowanspctr

I have a Magnum .91 on mine. Yeah, it's too much, but it does have a throttle. I did buy a Magnum .80 4-stroke that I will put on it this winter when I get my HogBipe built and shift the .91 to it. The nice thing is that the .91 balanced with no added weight. I may have to shift the battery back a little with the .80, I expect it might be slightly heavier than the .91.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:19 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a hot day at 5000' elevation, that .91 might be just about right.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:18 PM
plowboy
My Feedback: (2)

For the money, get a good used Magnum 61 fourstroke from ebay for about 75.00 and put a master airscrew 13x5 prop on it.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:58 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have four a Magnum .28's on mine. Works fine with 62 flights now.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41431.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	172345  
Old 09-14-2004, 12:49 PM
SigMan

i bet it is hard to get all them engines to work at the same time....woo hoo !
Old 09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: SigMan

i bet it is hard to get all them engines to work at the same time....woo hoo !

SigMan

Not to bad in the daytime but a bit more difficult in the dark, to aviod injuries. That photo was made in the evening waiting for dark for its first night flight.

The Magnum 61 FS that you asked about above will fly your Senior very nicely at your elevation but it won,t be an aerobatic powerhouse, But then agine thats not what Cadets are all about anyway. Cadets and specifically Seniors are extraordinary airplanes. [8D]

John
Old 09-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Sport_Pilot

The Magnum 61 FS that you asked about above will fly your Senior very nicely at your elevation but it won,t be an aerobatic powerhouse,
My Senior performed all of the areobatics it was capable of with a .40 two stroke! With a .46 it just climbed better.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:08 AM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

I have a question. I'm currently assembling a Sig Kadet Senior ARF and have an ASP 61 FS engine I am planning to install. I am test fitting the engine now before doing any actual drilling. I screwed the included motor mounts into the provided holes in the firewall. I then set the engine on the motor mount (upright.) Now I look at where the engine's throttle arm is and it is above the top of the firewall (just barely.) This means I'd have to run the throttle pushrod out the top of the nose, not through the firewall to get it to line up. This doesn't seem right. Am I doing something stupid? Should I just run the pushrod out the firewall and do a little z-bend to get it up to the correct level? Is there a better way to mount the engine? What are other people doing? This is my first FS engine install so I was a little surprised the by the carb/throttle placement.

Thanks,

Curt.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

I am not sure what you are talking about. I have the kit built version, not the arf. I don't see how the carb throttle would be above the firewall, unless you have mounted the mount way too high. Have you tried to test fit the cowl? On many four strokes it is possible to turn the carb around, maybe that would help.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:57 PM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I am not sure what you are talking about. I have the kit built version, not the arf. I don't see how the carb throttle would be above the firewall, unless you have mounted the mount way too high. Have you tried to test fit the cowl? On many four strokes it is possible to turn the carb around, maybe that would help.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm using the included motor mount, screwed into the predrilled holes on the ARF firewall, so I don't think I have that part screwed up. It hadn't occured to me that the carb might be movable ... I will look closer at my engine (ASP 61 FS) and see if it looks like that might be possible. Perhaps inverting the engine might also be a possibility? I'll check to see where the prop shaft comes out of the cowl to make sure I'm not way off on that ...

Thanks,

Curt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.