Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Is the fuel/plug too hot for my engine.

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Is the fuel/plug too hot for my engine.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 PM
nheather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the fuel/plug too hot for my engine?

Returning to the hobby after a 10 year hobby and for now picking up with the aircraft I have in storage, a 46 sized palne and a 50 sized helicopter.

Thought I only want to carry one type of fuel around with me so I have gone with 20% nitro (18% synthetic oil) which is what the helicopter needs.

But I wonder whether that is too hot for my 46 sized sports planenas I do get some funny behaviour?

The 46 is a well run in engine. It starts first flick, but sometimes the tuning seems to wander and the running is inconsistent. Sometimes it will idle smoothly and pick up great, other times it will idle smoothly but then splutter and cut on pick up. And on a couple of occasions I have had it when the engine is racing (like on half throttle) with the throttle at idle - on those occasions the throttle cut has noneffect and I have to pinch or remove the fuel line to stop it.

Fuel is new as is the plug which is an Enya No 3.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited by nheather; 08-10-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

What kind of engine is the .46?
Old 08-10-2018, 04:04 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Glow engines are notoriously fickle about temperature and humidity. The first two items may just be that - some days the mixture is right on, others just a hair off. Acceleration problems (idle, sputter, and cut) are due to the low end being off. Try this: Run the engine for a bit, to get it fully warmed up. Bring it to idle, and let run for a bit to stabilize. Using a forceps, needle nose pliers, or similar, pinch the fuel line that goes to the carb. If it dies very quickly, you are too lean at idle. If it picks up in rpm, and then dies, you are too rich. You should get a few seconds of even running before it goes into stumble and quit due to lack of fuel. For the idle adjustment, the good news is that you shouldn't have to adjust it again, unless you change fuel types or prop type/size.
The same process can be followed when running at full throttle for the main needle valve, but usually the "point it straight up" method is easier. That needle may need a couple of clicks in one direction or the other depending on the weather.

For the third issue (engine racing at idle) - that seems to be an issue with the carb not operating correctly. Most likely a servo/linkage issue. Can you actually see the carb close when it happens, or are you just trusting that moving the stick down is closing the carb? Old, worn engines can have gum in them that makes the carb barrel very sticky, or it may be some damage to the barrel. Or maybe the pushrod is bowing/flexing/sticking. Or the servo not operating correctly. Sometimes the vibration of the engine is enough to overcome the resistance, and all operates correctly, sometimes it goes opposite and something sticks - preventing the carb barrel from moving. Depending on the engine, sometimes the barrel sticks, and the actual arm on the engine still moves (stripped), so check that, too. Make sure the pushrod has virtually no ability to flex/bend, it has no opportunity to bind up, and there is no slop in the connections - that alone can contribute to variability in getting the engine to run correctly.

Of course, make sure all bolts on the engine are tight - air leaks can play havoc with it running right.

Report back in more detail if the above doesn't help.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:51 AM
nheather

Originally Posted by tedsander
Glow engines are notoriously fickle about temperature and humidity. The first two items may just be that - some days the mixture is right on, others just a hair off. Acceleration problems (idle, sputter, and cut) are due to the low end being off. Try this: Run the engine for a bit, to get it fully warmed up. Bring it to idle, and let run for a bit to stabilize. Using a forceps, needle nose pliers, or similar, pinch the fuel line that goes to the carb. If it dies very quickly, you are too lean at idle. If it picks up in rpm, and then dies, you are too rich. You should get a few seconds of even running before it goes into stumble and quit due to lack of fuel. For the idle adjustment, the good news is that you shouldn't have to adjust it again, unless you change fuel types or prop type/size.
The same process can be followed when running at full throttle for the main needle valve, but usually the "point it straight up" method is easier. That needle may need a couple of clicks in one direction or the other depending on the weather.

For the third issue (engine racing at idle) - that seems to be an issue with the carb not operating correctly. Most likely a servo/linkage issue. Can you actually see the carb close when it happens, or are you just trusting that moving the stick down is closing the carb? Old, worn engines can have gum in them that makes the carb barrel very sticky, or it may be some damage to the barrel. Or maybe the pushrod is bowing/flexing/sticking. Or the servo not operating correctly. Sometimes the vibration of the engine is enough to overcome the resistance, and all operates correctly, sometimes it goes opposite and something sticks - preventing the carb barrel from moving. Depending on the engine, sometimes the barrel sticks, and the actual arm on the engine still moves (stripped), so check that, too. Make sure the pushrod has virtually no ability to flex/bend, it has no opportunity to bind up, and there is no slop in the connections - that alone can contribute to variability in getting the engine to run correctly.

Of course, make sure all bolts on the engine are tight - air leaks can play havoc with it running right.

Report back in more detail if the above doesn't help.
With the racing, 90% of the time it idles nicely and if I hit the throttle cut it will stop instantly. It is only 2 or 3 times that I have seen it racing. The carb is set to be slightly open at low stick using the endpoint on the transmitter. I also have the thottle cut to close the throttle completely.

When it is racing, the stick is low, the throttle is open a tiny bit as per design, and when I hit the throttle cut the barrel closes completely - but the engine races. Possibly air getting in but remember it doesn’t do it that often and with the barrel closed it shouldn’t be bringing in any fuel either should it - but it will continue until the tank is dry if I let it.

I’d like to replace all the O Rings but it is a Magnum XL 46, and you can’t get spares anymore. Maybe the same as an ASP - I’m investigating that.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 08-10-2018, 10:56 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by nheather

.... Possibly air getting in ...
Yes, that is the issue. As you guessed, probably an o-ring that is faulty. It seals most of the time, but not all. It's been a long time since I had a Magnum, so I can't remember the carb design. If it has o-rings on the barrel of the carb, and the local hardware store doesn't have any of the same size, you could try to tighten it up by putting a few wraps of thread next to it, in the groove it sits in. Just enough to make it compress very, very slightly so it begins to bulge out of the groove. Too much, and the barrel will either not rotate easily, or it will be hard to even get the barrel back into the carb. If there is one on the carb bottom, that seals where the carb goes into the engine, the leak could also be there. Same fix, although as long as you get good compression of the o-ring between the carb and the engine, size is not critical, so you should be able to find one locally.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 AM
nheather

Pretty sure they were OS FX copies, like ASP and SC. Only ASP exist now. I’ll order the ASP needle and the carb o-rings - only a few dollars so not much lost if the size is wrong.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 08-10-2018, 06:47 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nheather

With the racing, 90% of the time it idles nicely and if I hit the throttle cut it will stop instantly. It is only 2 or 3 times that I have seen it racing. The carb is set to be slightly open at low stick using the endpoint on the transmitter. I also have the thottle cut to close the throttle completely.

When it is racing, the stick is low, the throttle is open a tiny bit as per design, and when I hit the throttle cut the barrel closes completely - but the engine races. Possibly air getting in but remember it doesn’t do it that often and with the barrel closed it shouldn’t be bringing in any fuel either should it - but it will continue until the tank is dry if I let it.

I’d like to replace all the O Rings but it is a Magnum XL 46, and you can’t get spares anymore. Maybe the same as an ASP - I’m investigating that.

Cheers,

Nigel
There is a guy selling Magnums again. You could ask him, but the XL is older than the newer XLS, and not the same. He seems to be out of stock quite often and doesn't carry the whole lineup. Reasonable prices though. Some of the combat guys had problems with the carbs, and they added silicone with a toothpick to every space that seemed like it could leak. Places like the jam nut, and every gap wherever you would think it could leak. They used the .15 and .25s, but I am sure they are similar.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
20% is too mutch!!!! Your engine will run perfect on just 0-5% nitro
Too much nitro and you will have difficulties setting the needle and the engine will run very erraticly and answer to throttle very badly.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:25 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Magnums just aren’t setup for 20% Nitro out of the box. Heli engines are. I’d suggest adding a .1mm or .2mm shim under the head and try again.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM
jaka

Hi!
And a perfect glow plug for your .46 engine is a Nova Rossi (or Rossi) 3 or 4 plug or...an OS 8 or Enya 3 ...if you run it on 0-10% nitro.
anything over 5% niro on this engine is just a waste of money.And using more than 15% nitro will make it run very bad!
Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

you have not run that engine in 10 years, so how old is that engine, I would replace the O-Rings on the needles !!

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:55 AM
jaka

Hi!
O-rings isnīt the likely culprit...Too high nitro content is. I have engines that are over 40 years old run just beautifully.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

it was just a suggestion, I have an OS 61FX and it was bought new in 2004 (want to buy it ?), it had sat 6 years, I started it, it needs new O-rings, besides, that's the hobby, things just happen.. too add I have seen a Super Tiger run on too much nitro, it ran great at idle and lower RPM, but once around (???) say, 60% throttle and above it ran terribly bad, it could not be tuned out, once changing to a lower nitro count, fixed it in a snap

Jim
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM
tedsander

Let's not loose sight that the issue was one of continuing to run, even with the carb almost closed, on occasion. High nitro would make it run poorly, which is not the case - he reports that it seems fine when it does behave normally. A bad seal somewhere allowing air to enter when not wanted would seem to be the most likely explanation. Of course, too high nitro might lead to overheating and scoring the piston...but then it would run poorly all the time. So while lower nitro is better, it is not the cause of the main issue.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:53 AM
restlessrocks

Originally Posted by tedsander
Let's not loose sight that the issue was one of continuing to run, even with the carb almost closed, on occasion. High nitro would make it run poorly, which is not the case - he reports that it seems fine when it does behave normally. A bad seal somewhere allowing air to enter when not wanted would seem to be the most likely explanation. Of course, too high nitro might lead to overheating and scoring the piston...but then it would run poorly all the time. So while lower nitro is better, it is not the cause of the main issue.
In my opinion the engine is sucking air into the crankcase. Probably the large O ring under the carb. I would replace all the gaskets, O rings and fuel lines in an engine/airplane that has been in storage this long. I've had brass fuel tubing corrode and disintegrate in old fuel tanks. Also the rubber stopper in the fuel tank has probably dry rotted and shrunk.