Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Hand propping 4-cycle/stroke

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:00 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Hand propping 4-cycle/stroke

Wondering about advice on any particular technique used to hand prop a 4-stroke engine. Have a TT .54 mounted inverted and crank with an electric starter to get running as has been par for the course. If it ever hand-started, it was an unusual circumstance or pure luck.

Thinking that key is to get the engine just wet enough to fire but not too wet to put out the inverted plug...

The engine has the choke feature removed; thinking way back to advice heeded to remove the spring-loaded choke valve.

Usual start-up has been to fuel-up through a Du-Bro fueling valve (aluminum one with the rubber O-rings) until fuel runs out the muffler, connect the glow driver from a power panel, switch on, crank while covering exhaust outlet until the engine makes noise and remove the starter. Let the engine warm and turn off the glow driver, disconnect, and go fly.

Would like to be able to hand-prop with consistent success - any advice appreciated.

Last edited by H5606; 08-03-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

have you tried popping it backwards ? you should use a chicken stick for this, you turn the engine over until you can tell there is fuel in the combustion chamber, usually just a hissing, then adjust the prop to where the piston is at BDC, now mount the glow igniter, then with the stick you turn the prop backwards quickly, it works very well for 4St if all things are good and warm in the universe, the engine will pop to life

Jim
sometimes good and warm things bite, so be aware cause you never know when
Old 08-03-2018, 02:32 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks; I'll try that.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:02 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a video on flipping an engine back against compression to start.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing I would add is don't use your fingers to flip the prop or sooner or later you will bet bitten by the prop. I use a wooden prop stick or they call it a chicken stick that way you will never get your finger in the prop, how do I know because I learned by experience and going to hospital is not fun.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Propworn

Notice flipping it backwards the hand is in the center of the prop not near the tip. In fact if you have a spinner you can spin it backwards using the spinner only without even touching the prop.

Dennis
Old 08-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Waco

yes, that might be true but after I almost had my finger taken off by a 4 stroke I like to keep my fingers far as possible from the prop. and using the spinner is just too close to the prop and one slip or mistake and you will pay the price. after I had my accident I have a healthy respect for 4 strokes, they have more torque than a 2 stroke and can take a finger off before you know it.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Propworn

Use a starter then no big deal. I've seen to many props damaged with an improper chicken stick like a piece of wood or worse a screw driver. Nothing wrong using a starter. I've even built a large bump starter where you push the airplane into the starter to make it run.

I can say with out a doubt I sustained more cuts with those cox .049, .020 .010 and .09's than any other motors combined. That 30 % nitro stings like crazy. A piece of rag and black electrical tape make for a makeshift field dressing LOL>

Last edited by Propworn; 08-04-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Waco

if you use a chicken stick thats made right you won't damage a prop, I have been using one for 3 years and start them just like you except I use the chicken stick with the end covered soft rubber. I don't like to use a starter my preference.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I use a starter on my 4-strokes. I backflip start my 2-strokes. My preference. A couple kickbacks whacking the knuckles was enough for me. Inverted 4-strokes? I’d use a starter without question. You’re asking for trouble if you plan to hand start a 4-stroke that’s inverted. It’s not impossible, but I sure as hell wouldn’t be willing to try it. In an ARF? Run like hell.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Waco

I never mount a glow engine upside down just too many headaches I can do without, either side mounted or upright for me.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Hmmmmm

Maybe I should have read these comments 35 plus years ago

That is about the time I started using four strokes That backflip came along very early. They had a habit of repeatedly starting in teverse when flipped forward. They also often slapped the backs of the fingers when flipped forward. I figured better to back flip. Worked like a champ. I only fly 4 strokes now and 90% of the starts are back flips.
Pain Free at that.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Waco
I never mount a glow engine upside down just too many headaches I can do without, either side mounted or upright for me.

I mount my 4 strokes inverted. With a proper fuel tank location, and a remote, or on board glow, I experience no more problems that I would with a side, or upright mounted engine.