Multi-Engine Guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Huge fan of glow power!

As much as the industry seems to want to remove glow powered models from existence. I for one hope that they fail. I am a glow flyer and that's it.
I personally find anything electric powered, with the exception of EDF's, completely boring.
Let me clarify, I am only talking fixed wing aircraft here.
I think edf's are really cool, and I even have a couple.

But I much prefer glow powered aircraft. Even still have one small glow powered ducted fan jet. Man, it really gets a lot of attention at the field when I start it up, and take it up to
around twenty thousand rpm!
I mostly fly Saito and O.S four stroke engines, .20's through .120's.
I also own and use around ten or so O.S. 46sf ABC two strokes.
So, good to see that there others that, and I know a few electric guys that are done with the cost of disposable batteries and, are flying glow!

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-10-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-10-2018, 04:28 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I’m a surface, air, and marine glow guy. From .049 up to 1.20 4-stroke; nothing is off limits. Long live glow!!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:50 PM
BalsaGhost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here here!
I tried to get away from glow for awhile, but the ridiculous cost of batteries, short flight time, charge time, and safety hassle finally turned me away. I just ordered a BRAND NEW .46AX this morning for my new kit build Sig Somethin Extra.

I don't care about the oil residue (Simple Green for cleanup) and fly my glow powered planes more than ever. Long live glow!

Gasoline would be cool, but for every 1 that runs great there's 6 that are always being tuned on.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (101)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran my first glow in 1956 when I was 14, a McCoy 36, (which I still Have) and I ain't gonna quit.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
I ran my first glow in 1956 when I was 14, and I ain't gonna quit.
Me, too, but I was 9 in 1956. LOL

Most of my models are glow powered, but I enjoy gassers and electrics too.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
hsukaria

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a few electric park flyers when I was new to RC planes. I seemed to not take them seriously for some reason. When (not if) I crashed them, I didn't seem to care. Finally one day a Lipo shorted out in my field box. Luckily I was still at the field and not driving or at home. I dropped out of electrics after that. I did enjoy the EDF's and flying wings, but safety first!!

I got into the gasser craze after that and after many travails with carbs and ignitions malfunctioning, as well as some interference problems that were not expected, I settled on only two gassers. One of them is still giving me fits after 2 years of trying to make it fully dependable. The hype about them being convenient and low cost is just that, hype. Most all the guys at the club end up having to buy giant engine starters because they don't easily start by hand after the carb and ignition wear out a bit. Have you noticed all the ads for jumbo starters?

So, glow it is!! I have glow engines from 0.10 to .60 c.i. 2 stroke mostly. I have 4-strokes from .56 to .91 c.i..
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Gassers Cheap?

Although I do not currently have or have any intentions of using
Gasoline power, I personally have nothing against them.
I just don't fly planes big enough to really need to go that route.
My .90 to .120 size planes fly just fine on .120 glow four strokes.
But I mostly fly .40 to .50 size warbirds.
I used to be an Aviation Fueler, Avgas and Jet-A.
And I know how freakin' dangerous petroleum fuel fumes are!
Most Gas flyers that I see, seem to have no clue!
Transporting their gas planes inside of their vehicles, along with more cans of Gasoline. Gas fumes don't simply catch fire, they explode!

Personally I hate the smell of Gasoline, Diesel even more so!
I don't want it on my skin or in my lungs.
Besides being flammable and explosive, it is also highly carcinogenic. Cheap compared to glow fuel? There are other variables to be considered.
And besides with smaller displacement engines, I don't go through glow fuel all that fast, except when flying multi-engine planes.
But the awesome sound they create is worth the extra cost, not counting the safety/health concerns with gas.
Plus, I am not a big fan of the sound two stroke gas engines make, most of them just sound like a weed eater to me.
And the multi-engine ones just sound like multiple weed eaters to me.
I have yet to even see one four stroke gas powered plane at the field, so I can't comment on those.
Except for the fact that I don't want to pay the price that they want for a Saito or O.S. four stroke gasser.
And apparently, neither does anyone else I know.

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; Yesterday at 01:49 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I grew up on glow engines. I still have a fondness for anything Webra, Enya and OS made prior to 1990. I currently have an OS .61 powered helicopter and a YS 140 powered Biplane in my fleet. I also have a few electrics and a gasoline powered airplane. I realize this thread is about glow engines and frankly I am of the opinion that it should stay there however there have been IMO some misconceptions about gasoline engines thrown into the thread. I myself have been running gasoline engines since 1997. During that time I have not experienced anything less reliable then glow power. In fact my own experience has been that they are more reliable and have a longer service life. Most issues I have seen guys having are usually self inflicted, however I would hold that statement true for guys having issues with glow engines as well. At the end of the day regardless of the power plant, it's all about enjoying your hobby. That being said, nothing gets my attention faster then an old school pattern airplane with a piped .60 five feet off the deck with the gear up and doing 120 mph.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a glow engine is simply a work of art !

Jim
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
a glow engine is simply a work of art !

Jim
Jim, I would certainly agree but art just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said, I see beauty in all of these.