Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

McCoy 29 Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy 29 Assembly

I completely disassembled this engine that was frozen. I now have all parts cleaned and ready to reassemble along with new gaskets. I have a questions about the cylinder head. On the lower shaft are two slots (one on each side). One is higher than the other. Looking at the engine from the front, does the high slot go to my left or right? I will greatly appreciate any help!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Micromotor

L///
Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Garnett, It sounds like you are referring to the the "ports" or slots on the sides of the sleeve? If you put the sleeve in the crankcase you will see that one slot will line up with the exhaust port, but if you have the wrong slot lined up with the exhaust it will be miss-match. The high slot is the exhaust, and the low slot is the intake. Note that the piston has a baffle on the top. That baffle should be next to the intake slot. Then there is a groove in the cylinder head, which must be installed to interface with the baffle. If the head is miss-located to the piston, the engine will not turn over. So, here is what I use as my simple test for checking if an engine is properly assembler. If you look in the exhaust port you shouldn't be able to see the transfer port on the opposite side of the cylinder. If you can see the opposite slot, the cylinder is installed incorrectly. Also when you view the piston through the exhaust port the piston baffle should be on the far side in the sleeve. I hope this isn't too confusing.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 AM
[email protected]

Many thanks for this info!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:32 AM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many years ago I owned a McCoy 19. Could NOT get it to run. I wonder now if the sleeve was in backwards. If so, should it have still run at reduced power?
Old 03-08-2019, 11:09 AM
GREG DOE

Jim, That's a good question. Someone has probably tried it (accidentally I would imagine).
Old 03-09-2019, 08:40 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Jim, That's a good question. Someone has probably tried it (accidentally I would imagine).

When I was a kid back in the early 80’s I was given a Torpedo .29S. I took the engine apart and put it back together wrong so the exhaust and bypass ports were reversed. Tried in vain for hours to get it to run, it would fire on a prime for a second or two and thats it. When I took it apart again and realized my problem, upon reassembly the correct way it ran like a top.

WHat happens is the exhaust port opens first and will try and push back into the bypass and there is no way the fresh fuel charge will overcome the exhaust pressure to enter the cylinder, even after the reversed bypass opens and some exhaust manages to escape the cylinder. As I said for it will fire a few time and quit. Probably many engines like this were taken apart and put back incorrectly together - and then blame the dud of an engine, lol.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:03 AM
[email protected]

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM
[email protected]

I have the engine back together. Hopefully this is my last question. It is a McCoy 29. I always thought a glow plug was a glow plug.....until now. What glow plug should I use in this engine? I have been told to use a 1.5 Volt, but in looking on E-Bay there are 1.5 Volt plugs that are Long and Short. Which one?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:20 PM
GREG DOE

It's been about 40 years since I've had a "red head" McCoy in my hands, but I would assume that it needs a long reach standard heat range plug. While there have been a few 2 volt glow plugs, they were made for special applications. All the rest of the plugs are 1.5 volt. Try what ever you have, and see how it performs.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 PM
[email protected]

It has been about 68 years since I had a model engine, an O&R 23. The engine I have now did not have a plug. I will purchase a 1.5 Long plug. Many thanks for your help!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 AM
[email protected]

One more question....I need a needle valve for this engine. I have searched on E-Bay and found lots of needle valves, but not one like mine. It is slightly bend. Also, I discovered my engine is not a 29, but a 19. Will someone sell me a needle valve? my email is: [email protected] Many thanks for all your help!