W.P. Hurst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default O.S. FS 120 Surpass

Bax, this is a FS120 Surpass that leaks fuel from the regulator and pump. Has been setting for some time. I have run 15% thru it and runs strong until I remove the hot shot from the glow plug. Ran about 30cc's of fuel and seems to leak more. Towers has the carb assembly and pump, but if I can avoid the cost repairing this one. Any hope?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:59 AM
cahusker
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had some luck in stopping the regulator from leaking by replacing the cover with this one https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXLYD5&P=Z
It seems like the older one warps and doesn't seal as well as it needs to and the newer one has an improved design that seems stronger and does the job.
Your results may differ though.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:04 AM
W.P. Hurst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I'll try one.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:05 AM
W.P. Hurst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I replaced the regulater cover and that stoppoed the leak. I also replaced the pump, it to was leaking, now as soon as I remove the glow starter it quits. Been adjusting and get a good idle, then quits as soon as the glow starter is removed. I would like to get it running good, but about to give up. Does anyone have some suggestions?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 PM
cahusker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by W.P. Hurst View Post
Well, I replaced the regulater cover and that stoppoed the leak. I also replaced the pump, it to was leaking, now as soon as I remove the glow starter it quits. Been adjusting and get a good idle, then quits as soon as the glow starter is removed. I would like to get it running good, but about to give up. Does anyone have some suggestions?
Here are a couple of ideas to try. Look down into the carb opening with the throttle wide open and you should see the low speed needle sticking across the opening.There should be a slight gap where the smaller pin goes into the other side as you begin to close the throttle, about 1/16 of an inch. If that needs adjusting then turn the low speed needle until the gap looks that wide with the throttle wide open. Now set the high speed needle open 1.5 to 2 turns from fully closed. This should give you a good start point to begin tuning. If the engine is not pretty rich when you start it with these settings then something may be blocking the pump or regulator. Also if the engine does start and is in fact rich and still quits when the glow plug igniter is removed, you might want to change the glow plug for a new one. Hope this helps you, Lane
Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM
W.P. Hurst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, I'll give that a try in the morning. Will let you know. Thanks alot.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Replace the plug?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM
W.P. Hurst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, new os 4 stroke. Tried another to, no luck. It will idle rich for maybe a minute or less then sputters and wants to quit, Then I put the hot shot on and tweak a little more . When I get to lean with the low needle it will quit suddenly. Seems to have a very short window, even idling good it will still load up and quit. I tried the tee in the line from pump to carb with no luck. O-ring on the high needle valve looks good and the valves are really clean. Using cahusker's advice got it close, just can't find that sweet spot.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:15 AM
cahusker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One more thing to try. Start it and get it to full throttle, then open the high needle until it is really rich and let it run that way for a minute or two. Now close the high needle until you get max rpm's and just back off a click. If the engine will run steady at this high speed setting then start on the low speed needle and get it to where it will idle good and transition well..Sometime when these engines have been sitting for a long time the oil congeals in the needle areas and act like a blockage that just doesn't clear out at normal settings but does with the needle open wide.
If this doesn't work I would be willing to look at the engine for you if you were willing to send it to me, I'm 50+ years in the hobby and have repaired engines for many folks over the last 30+ years. Lane
Old 06-19-2019, 01:47 PM
W.P. Hurst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

pm sent
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
W.P. Hurst

Gallery