Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito 180 Good Vibrations........ Not!!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 180 Good Vibrations........ Not!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 12:30 PM
john316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 180 Good Vibrations........ Not!!

Does anybody elses Saito 180 shake like mine? I have heard that the engine was developed fronm the 120 but that Saito never increased the crankshaft counterweight size. Anyway thsi engine vibrates significantly more than any other engine I own, much worse than my Moki 2.1 which is an impressively smooth performer. And please don't bother to ask the obvious....yes, I balance my prop and spinner.

jmw[:@]
Old 10-01-2003, 01:04 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Saito 180 Good Vibrations........ Not!!

Yep! Thats about right. Low end torgue is what you are seeing, its a real shaker.
I discovered Moki about 2 years ago and traded all my 4-strokes for Moki.
I traded my Saito 180 for a Moki 210.

The Saito is a great motor, with a ton of power.

I just deceided I would rather spend 1/2 the $ for fuel, gain power, and loose the shakes.

Love those Moki's

Try a Moki 180 in place of the Saito. Its lighter then the 210 and close to the same power. Both of my older Moki 180's have more power then my new 210, not for long, but for now they are more powerful.

tonyc
Old 10-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The Saito 180 is a lightweight engine that has large power pulses, most of what you are seeing is tortional impulses from the combination of light weight and heavy power pulses.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:09 PM
RCJones

my 180stop shaking so much when I adjusted the low end properly
Old 10-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Roffe P

I have a saito180 in a SIG su-31 and it's rock steady, gives me 1700 rpm in idle. Of course I do not use any soft mountings that just crap on a engine like this. I also put my balancing weights on the engine mount, that also decrease wibes.

To be completly honest, the engine is rough during running in and it seems like it took me 10-15 liters of fuel to run it in.

Also a heavy prop like APC will soften idlewibes but the MenzS responds to throttling more rapidly...

Moki 2.10 ?? thats a 2stroke, isn't it ? I'll bet i consumes more fuel than the fa180 (at least as I'm using 5% nitro 15% aerosave)
Old 10-04-2003, 07:18 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine calmed down after about two gallons of fuel. Higher nitro will help it idle better. Give it a while, cuz it'll calm down and get much more economical with a little time. That's been my experience-hope it helps.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Trapnell
My Feedback: (1)

Ran a 1.80 in a sig cap 231ex, 30% heli fuel - 10600 on APC 17-8. The shakes seem to go away with proper low-mid range settings. I love the engine! Does takesome breaking in, however.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:57 PM
john316

How many gallons before you were getting the kind of rpm you are talking about? I have about 8 gallons through mine and it seems to be still improving with respect to rpms and vibration. I am now up to 9700peak on APC 17x6, will have to give the 18x6 Mezjlik a try One other thing I have noticed about this engine, it sucks fuel but doesn't leave a smoke trail like my Moki 210. The Moki is very good on fuel but leaves a beautiful smoke trail. Very strange! Also very little oil residue on the aircraft compared to other planes I fly. Is the oil being vaporized by the higher exhaust gas temperature???
Another thing I noticed was occasional dark oil residue from the exhaust. Your comments??

jmw[:@]