Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

how do you clean with a crockpot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 03:04 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how do you clean with a crockpot?

<<...stick with the green stuff...>>

Yeah, I was leaning in that direction. The pink stuff had all those enviro-nazi stickers everywhere; that's a good bet it is "watered down".

The green stuff it is... undiluted, at low heat.

Thanks again for all the information.

Steve
Old 10-19-2003, 07:06 AM
Wingdinger Don

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nedyob,
By all means put it back in for another 12 hrs maybe even longer depending on how dirty it is. Let us know how you made out.

Steve,
Have you tried it yet?

Don
Old 10-19-2003, 07:31 AM
LSP972

Don,

Nope. I acquired that engine for a future project and was just getting the details for when I am ready.

However, I have another project starting soon, and the engine for it has been sitting up for a couple of years, so it probably would benefit from this. I'll pull it later this week and see. If so, I'll just do 'em both. I think there is enough room in that pot for both of them and the mufflers.

Steve
Old 10-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Tom Jones
My Feedback: (4)

Bentgear, I agree...Everything I've read about to use and the only stuff I've used is the ethlyene glycol(the green stuff). Works great! Don't get it too hot or it can discolor the aluminum a little. Tom
Old 11-28-2004, 12:41 PM
artandscience

Has anyone instrumented their crockpot and found out how hot it needs to get to effectively clean a motor?
I've got an old pot that gets to about 155F and I'm fairly sure that that is hot enough but I'm cleaning my first motor
as we speak and don't yet know what the results will be (the crockpot must be 40 years old).

thanks, S.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:15 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S.,

I think you will find that it doesn't NEED heat...it just works a lot faster with it.

If you turn it up high, make sure you have lots of ventilation. Also, as a reminder, never EVER use it for food again and make sure no children or pets can get to the liquid.

George
Old 11-28-2004, 01:38 PM
darkfa8
My Feedback: (19)

anyone every try carb dip? it is for automotive carberators. or, maybe brake cleaner?
Old 11-28-2004, 04:14 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Carb and brake cleaners are used by many modelers on their engines.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
jessiej

[If you turn it up high, make sure you have lots of ventilation. Also, as a reminder, never EVER use it for food again and make sure no children or pets can get to the liquid.]

By all means. Aside from death, other undesireable side effects include blindness and kidney failure.

jess
Old 11-29-2004, 12:25 PM
artandscience

Actually, I found it does need heat. I tried soaking the motor in green antifreeze for over 12 hours with no visible effect.
After some fifteen or so hours in my crockpot probably 90% of the castor residue has come off. I'm going to give it another
seven or eight hours (I want it like new).

Carb cleaner, acetone, lacquer thinner, and kerosene had no effect on the residue.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 PM
BillS

Was it mentioned that crock-pots are available at Big Lots for $8?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 AM
ArayRC
My Feedback: (30)

It it better to use straight 100% Anti-Freeze?

I thought it was best to use a 50-50 mixture with water?
the results I have had in the past with cleaning engines with this method have not always given me good results.
so I was thinking I should try 100% antifreeze this time.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:55 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

I never heard of this. Will this not harm the bearings?

MIke
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ArayRC

It it better to use straight 100% Anti-Freeze?
I thought it was best to use a 50-50 mixture with water?
the results I have had in the past with cleaning engines with this method have not always given me good results.
so I was thinking I should try 100% antifreeze this time.
Some of the posts on the previous page recommend using 100% antifreeze and low heat.

George
Old 11-30-2004, 10:23 AM
bentgear

Use 100% - no water added. Low heat. It will not rust the bearings, thats one of the things antifreeze does, protect metal.

Ed M.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
artandscience

Well.. a postscript. I pulled my OS .32 F out of the pot yesterday afternoon after about 20-22 hours of
total cooking time (for safety reasons the pot had to go off at night). With the aid of a plastic brush I was
able to remove 99% of the encrusted castor oil residue. The case and head look pretty much like new - much
more presentable. Cleaned everything with break cleaner and then reassembled after relubing the interior
of everything with after-run oil.

I used a basting bulb to empty the crock pot (so that most of the dirt residue remained in the bottom of the
pot to be discarded). Also, one of the little teflon buttons that is at the end of the crank small-end pin (that
goes through the piston) had come out in the pot. That got replaced as well (important!).

So I'm quite satisifed that it all works well. Temp of crockpot fluid was 155-160F after 1.5 hours.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:25 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I put the antifreeze and engine in a large glass jar, then put that in the crock pot with enough water to come just above the level of the antifreeze in the jar. Makes it easier to handle and you need less antifreeze that way. I put a lid on the jar, but leave it loose so hot air can escape but evaporation of the antifreeze is reduced.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Dr Nitro

I don't care for the anti freeze method. 1. if left in there too long it turns the engine gray. 2. after the anti freeze has cleaned a couple real dirty engines, it turns the engines gray. 3. you have anti freeze to get rid of. 4. you have a useless crock pot that can be used for nothing esle taking up space.

I have always liked and will continue to favor Demon-Clean engine cleaner. No matter how long you leave it on, nothing harmfull happens to your engine and it does not turn gray. I've cleaned as many as 15 filthy control line engines from one can so thats pretty cost effective in my book. I understand that Cooper Fuels (woner of Demon Clean) has a new improved, formula. Can't wait to try it.

My two cents..

Dr Nitro
Old 12-02-2004, 12:29 AM
bentgear

Dr Nitro, I have no idea how many engines and mufflers have been cleaned in my latest batch, but its a bunch. Never had the graying problem unless I screwed up and turned it on high. As far as getting rid of a quart of antifreeze, pour it down the sink. Any towns bio treatment plant can handle it with no problem. (now if every household poured a couple of quarts down the sink at the same time - it would be a problem. The BOD and COD would go out of sight or at least up a few thousand points)

Ed M.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:51 PM
NitroWoman

Dear Steve Campbell, Be sure to get the Etheylene Glycol antifreeze and then take a large glass full, drink it all, then YOU go somewhere else to die. Signed, A Cat Lover[:@]
Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
LSP972

Goodness... a mite touchy, these feline lovers.

Tell you what, NitroWoman... the next time one of those independent, ungrateful critters decides to use my vehicle windshield or front door stoop for their personal toilet, I'll just ambush it and shoot it. It will be quick. That make you feel better?

I can hear you now, when asked how YOU would like it if a cat did that to your property: "Oh, well; that's just cats, you know."

Give me a break....
Old 12-03-2004, 07:25 AM
mikewilson

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Goodness... a mite touchy, these feline lovers.

Tell you what, NitroWoman... the next time one of those independent, ungrateful critters decides to use my vehicle windshield or front door stoop for their personal toilet, I'll just ambush it and shoot it. It will be quick. That make you feel better?

I can hear you now, when asked how YOU would like it if a cat did that to your property: "Oh, well; that's just cats, you know."

Give me a break....
If you post unnecessary and deliberately inflammatory comments what do you expect?

Like:
How do you deal with your kids, Stevey boy?

Sad little git.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:14 PM
LSP972

I don't expect anything; and my kids are just fine.

Gee; I was insulted by a one-post wanker. What's next???

To get back on track here, I picked up one of those eight dollar crock pots at Big Lots (thanks for the tip, BillS) and some el cheapo anti-freeze at lunch today. Most everybody is carrying the new Preston "extended" anti-freeze. Its yellow, and has no ingredients listed. Wonder why?

Found some ethylene glycol (green stuff) at Auto Zone.

You guys who have experienced the graying of parts, do you have any idea how hot your mixture was?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:46 PM
bentgear

Steve, will try and shoot the temp tonight, but mine feels like its just over the temp that you don't want to stick your finger in it. I use a cheap pot from Wallyworld on the low setting...

Ed M.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
LSP972

Low it is. I am actually surprised this thing even HAS a variable temperature setting, for eight dollars. Makes you wonder just what the profit margin is on the more expensive home appliances, eh???

Thanks, Ed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.