Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tower Hobbies engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies engine problems

There are just too many good engines out there to put up with this C#*^!
They both lost many good weeks of flying ,paid for return shipping twice,wasted fuel breaking in 3 engines instead of just one and paid a little more money and got a good running engine.
A member of our club is the proud new owner of a TH .75. The last I heard he had two flights and two dead sticks. When the engine warms up the carb barrel locks up and will not close. What a little gem! "There otta be a law..." [>:]
Old 05-01-2004, 08:15 PM
mkharv3

Finally got an engine I can trust. After 2 TH.46 I got my money back. Then I got a Magnum XLS .46. What an engine to me this engine seems to have more power. Of course I dont have a tach, but anyway. I cranked it and did the thirty minute break in and then I flew. Never deadsticked or slowed down. Very happy with my Magnum. I recommend every one get rid of that TH .46. Happy flying.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Motorbrain

When you take an engine out of the box and slap it on the plane
without going over it and servicing it , that's what will happen.

MB.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:43 AM
Pilotsmoe

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I would like to remind everyone that the Tower engines are made by GMS. The Tower 46 has 1mm less bore than the GMS 47 which in some cases doesn't have the remote needle valve assembly. The bigger Towers are ABC whereas the GMS's are Dykes ring engines. Other than that, they are the same engine.

Hobbsy and I were talking with Randy L. of MECOA at the Toledo show and they have lost the distributorship of the GMS engines which was picked up by Great Planes. I don't know if this will have anything to do with with the Tower/Hobbico 46's?

Enjoy,

Jim
yea, i knew it, that's why they cost $20 more[>:][>:]
Old 05-02-2004, 11:53 PM
eagleuno

I bought a Tower .75. It was really tight until after the 1st flight. Man, it on only took a few predictable tweaks to adjust. By the 2nd flight it idles really slow, jumps right up and has LOTS of power. I have it on a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60. Great combo. Oh, for $94 & free shipping the Tower .75 is a great deal.

I too think you are expecting a bit much out of your .46. Anway, thought I would share my experiance with Tower engines.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Spoiler

- What like expecting them to run properly??
Old 05-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Blackie

I've owned two of them and both of them ran great with no problems. On the second one I even removed the stock muffler, placed it on my shoestring and modified a pitts for the OS 91 to fit the mounting holes on the .75, runs just great.

The theory of the o rings leaking thus not allowing the engine to shut down, is nothing but properly adjusting the low end needle. I had the same problem on my first engine it was just a matter of adjusting the low end correctly.

Blackie
Old 05-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a TH .75 and it runs great.

I broke it in with 22% oil that was 80/20 synthetic/castor and 10% nitro. I ran 3 or 4 tanks through it on the bench and then flew it.

After 3/4 of a gallon, it spit a front bearing. The bearing got tight and rough. It spit something out and caused a scratch on the front of the crank.

I did disassemble the engine to diagnose the problem and identify the damage.

I called Hobby Services. They were friendly and offered to ship me a new crank and both bearings. They asked if I could get it back together without any problems, and I told them that installing the new parts myself would be no problem. I got a new crank and both front and rear bearings within 4 days. No charge.

I finished out the last 1/4 gallon of break-in fuel and then switched to Omega Pink 25% fuel. No problems now. I've run over 2 gallons of the Omega 25% fuel through it now.

Turns a 13-5 Zinger happily at rippin' RPMs on my Fun Fly plane. That seams to be the right prop for my particular plane. I've tried a 13-6, 14-4, 14-5, and a 13-8 prop. My engine will turn all those props, but my plane performs the best with the 13-5. I haven't tached it, but you can hear it and I can tell that it's ripping along pretty darn good.

Never a deadstick. It always shuts down when I want it too. Runs like a raped ape.

Hobby Services was VERY COOL. They didn't hassle me or act like it was a problem to send the parts out to me free of charge.

Engine runs great. Best engine I've ever owned. Hobby Services honored their warranty without a single hiccup. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.