Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evolution engine, Need commend

Old 11-25-2003, 09:17 PM
nattavoud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution engine, Need commend

Has anyone try "Evolution" Engine? Deciding to buy one but also need commend. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Evolution engine, Need commend

I recently reviewed the Evolution Engine for RCU Magazine (Click "Magazine" at the top and scroll down till you see it).

I highly recommend this engine, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one (or two or three!)
Old 11-26-2003, 12:07 AM
wings

There is an add in the Jan issue of the AMA magazine thats says the evo 46 NT is the most powerful 40 size engine. I assume that would be true or it woud be considered false advertisement.

I like mine.

Wings
Old 11-26-2003, 12:34 AM
The_Matrix

The Evolution is great, already comes pre-broke in, and preset from factory. Excellent engine with great power. Love mine.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:41 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am an instuctor at our field and I have worked with the Evolution engines on 6 to 8 student's airplanes. I found them to be very easy to start, run well, and put out plenty of power! I was really surprised that a new engine could run that well right at the start! And they are not overly expensive either. I did have trouble getting one to run right, but it turned out that it was because of bad fuel. Fresh fuel and it ran perfect!

Of course these were all brand new this past summer, only time will tell if they will stay running this well after a couple years. But as of right now I would (and have) recommend them to anyone.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Banned

About a month ago when I took my Xtra Eazy 2 trainer to the field for the first time I had like 3-4 guys run over to it as soon as they noticed it. They all looked at the engine and then said: "Good, it's got the Evolution!" Mine runs great! I don't know what used to be in Xtra Eazy planes, but it scared people. The guys at the field love my EVO .46 I'm too new to advise anyone about engines. Mine starts, never dies. The "real pilots" at my club don't mind helping me with my plane cuz 2 flicks and the engine will haul butt till the tank is empty. And it was never "broken in" as per the manual. - Joe
Old 11-26-2003, 02:39 AM
The_Matrix

Joe,

You probably don't know this, but it's in your manual under the Evolution Power Train System. All evolution engines are already broke in at the factory, and needle vaulves are preset. that's why the evolution engines do not require breakin when you purchase one, or purchase a plane with one pre-installed in it such as the Extra Easy 2. You made a great choice on your trainer, I started with the same setup, EX2 with evo power trainer system, and was easy plane to learn with. Was able to start landing and taking off after only 3 short lessons. Once you are able solo with it and feel you are ready for your next plane, (start getting bored that is), save your money and do some tweaking to the EX2, such as changing the servo arms and adjusting linkages to give you maximum throw, ditch the 3 blade prop and goto a 10x6 2 blade for more speed(although you won't need it), it will be like a totally new plane again, and will increase your flying ability before moving to your next plane. Not to mention it will refresh the excitement. You will be surprised at all the maneuvers you will be able to perform after making adjustments, acrobatic and otherwise, and yes with a trainer. Hope you enjoy it bud.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:10 AM
WCB

I have two, an Evo .61 and .46. They are good strong engines.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Barnz316
My Feedback: (26)

I also have a Xtra Easy 2 w/ a EVO .40 on it and I love this motor. Very easy to start, good power when you need it, and like previously stated, comes damn neart broke in and set. I removed the baffle out of the muffler, which suprisingly didn't affect fuel pressure, and removed the flywheel and it has good "snap". I dont know if that was a smart idea but it really helped mine out.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:58 PM
nilo

I think I'm the only one lucky guy to have problems with this engine.
I started in RC couple weeks ago and bought the whole starting equipment, including the 0.46 evolution.
The fisrt time I tried to run the engine by hand, just to check how smooth the thing is, I could feel the piston getting stuck in one position ( I had the glow plug out, so no compression). This was explainned as "normal" by the store were I bought it and by other club member with the xplanation that it had to be broken. It was a really back metal-to-metal weird noise and I couldn't berely rotate the engine(with oil).
I runned already half galon on this engine and now it's really smooth, but at least my engine wasn't broken from factory.
I didn't fly solo yet and the first flight this engine did was by a club veteran that flew it just to test the trainner and the engine. Well, the engine went dead while flying and almost caused my plane to crash, but that's ok.
Last weekend I wen to the field and the engine didn't respond to high speed. I tried to adjust the high-speed meedle, even going beyond the adjust limits (with some veteran help) but it didn't work. When you apply full throttle, the engine takes two long to follow and when it finaly goes, keep at high speed for 2-3 seconds and sundenly dies. I checked already the tank for ar leak but everything is ok.
What I found is that the small fuel link from the high-speed valve to the carburator was broken(from factory) right where it connects to the valve, so bubbles were being created from the valve to the carburator. I replaced the fuel link but the high speed issue didn't improve.
I send an email to Horizon Hobby yesterday, since I read here in RCUniverse that it would be the tech support but didn't here from then yet.
I also read here in RCUniverse a test done to the "Evolution Trainer Power System" by some expert and the engine didn't respond right away. The tech support was contacted and the low-speed needle limits were wrong by factory. After this fixed, the guy said it was a dream.

So I think my problem is adjust, but when you're abeginner, small things become black holes! Somebody here can help me?

Thanks,

Nilo
Old 11-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Montague

I've lost count of the number of EVO EPS engines I've had students with this year. They're everywhere. Haven't had any problems with any of them.

The EVO EPS is NOT the same as the Evo .46. The EPS engine is a .45. I still don't know why this is, but it is. I don't know if the EPS and the .46 are ported differently, I suspect they might be.

One EPS was particuarlly tight at TDC, but that kind of thing is normal, and a tight engine is a good thing with ABC engines.

I had one where the needle limiters were set off a bit, but that was easily fixed.

I've seen several Alpha's have the fuel tank split at the stopper, or otherwise leak air.

I think the Extra Easy used to come with a MDS engine, and the early MDS engines have a badly designed carb that made them run very poorly. The new carb fixed the engine, but the engine's reputation is pretty much shot now.

Nilo, If the engine runs at full throttle for a few seconds then suddenly stops, it's too lean. Either it's sucking air from somewhere or the clunk is reversed or the line is kinked, or the needle is just set too lean. If the transition from idle to full power is slow, and shows hesitation, the low end might be too rich. Yes, it's possible to have the low end too rich and the high end too lean. The results would be very much like you describe. It's very hard to trouble shoot an engine over the web though, you're best off seeking help locally until you get someone to get it running right.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:08 PM
nilo

Montague,

When you say Low-end you mean the idle needle stop and high end you mean the high-speed stop?
I'm kinda confused with it.
Could you please separate what is the idle needle and high speed needle?

Hey, I'm going to fix this thing man, I promess!

Nilo
Old 11-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Montague

Yeah, when I say high speed or high end, I mean the needle valve. On the Evo engine, it has a stop that limits it's travel. I have seen days where the weather was such that the stops were too limiting, and the engine would run better if the stop was overriden.

On the low end, it's a simular situation, the Evo engine has a stop that prevents adjustment of the mixture beyond a certain point. I haven't seen that one be off too much, but it could be.

On an engine with out the stops or limiters that the Evo has, the needle is the high speed needle or mixture, and the low end is usually a small screw that moves something inside the carb to adjust the low end mixture. It's sometimes called a low speed needle, though in many carbs it's not actually a tapered needle like the high end.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:44 PM
nilo

Thanks man,

Will work on this!

Nilo
Old 11-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Hmm....

I dunno, but an engine the same price as the Evo Trainer Power (the .45 one) w/o the prop and spinner is the Magnum .46 XLS.
I have one, but have not run it yet. I actually value power over ease of set-up because I can get an instructor to help me get it running properly. Then I have ease of use and power.

I think the Magnum is more powerful. It looks just like an os 46 FX, but like 20 bucks cheaper.

Ill have to check the ratings (Bore and BHP)
Old 11-26-2003, 11:01 PM
The_Matrix

Here is a breakdown on the 2 EVO engines we all have been discussing. First let's take a look at the Evolution Trainer Power System, which comes installed on alot of todays RTF trainers, such as the Extra Easy 2.

The Evolution system is an innovative combination of propeller and engine technology specifically designed to make it the easiest starting, smoothest running power choice for .40 to .50-size trainers.

1. Canted glow plug tilts glow driver away from propeller during starts for safer operation.

2. Needle valve limiters guarantee easy starting and reliable performance.

3. Remotely mounted needle valve for safe, easy adjustment.

4. Flywheel system for easy starting and smooth idle.

5. Whisper-quiet three-bladed training prop for spirited performance and easily managed airspeed.

Evolution Trainer Power System Specifications

Bore: .867 in
Stroke: .770 in
Displacement: .455 cu in
Weight w/ muffler: 19.52 oz
RPM: 2,000-16,000 rpm

Evolution .46

Evolution’s .46-size glow engine is a top-of-the-line 2-stroke, guaranteed to start quickly and easily. Not only that, but we also pitted it against some of the top sport engines in its class. And guess what? It matched or beat them all in power and performance, proving it’s the strongest engine you can put in your .40-size plane. It offers preset SetRight™ needle valves that take all the guesswork out of operation, as well as a canted glow plug that tilts the glow driver away from the plane’s propeller for safer operation and a ball bearing-supported crankshaft that provides greater power and longer engine life. And for ultimate power, the bore, stroke and timing are carefully engineered for both muffler and tuned pipe use.

Canted glow plug tilts glow driver away from propeller during starts for safer operation
SetRight needle valves guarantee easy starting and great performance
Rear needle valve provides safe, easy adjustments
Dual ball bearing supported crankshaft extends engine life and improves reliability
Specifications
Displacement: 0.467 cu in (7.65 cc)
Bore: 864 in
Stroke: .797 in
Weight: 13.10 oz
RPM: 12,500
Prop: 11x6
Crankshaft: 1/4 x 28

As you can see, there is not a huge difference in the Bore, Stroke, or displacement, but the EVO trainer system has a large differnce in RPM, allowing it to maintain steady fly at low idle speeds without motor cutting off, making it great for trainers and first time or new pilots.
Specs for both engines are straight from Hangar 9, so that you can compare to see the differences as well as the simularities.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:31 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Lets See...

Magnum .46 XLS Right off My Operating Instructions except for the Bore Stroke and Displacement (which my manual gave out in C C and cm) I got the rest from tower)

Bore : 0.86 inch / 22 mm
Stroke: 0.77 inch / 19.6 mm
Displacement : 7.45 CC ( dunno in cu in)
Practical RPM : 2000 - 17500
Weight 13.1 oz w/ o muffler

BHP : Doesn't say but design and specs same or very similar to Os .46 FX, OS .46 FX is 1.62 BHP at 16000 RPM.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

OOps

The Evo 46 NT has a bigger displacement
although magnum beats it in all other visible areas
Old 11-27-2003, 04:40 PM
sackingsfan

i have a evolution trainer power system in my alpha trainer and in my sig kadet senior. i recamend the engine highly. i can flip start it with out an electric starter usually the first time. My alpha trainer recently took a dive into the ground and was totaly smashed the egine survived all that brok was the prop and all 3 blades on the prop broke. i spent $80.00 on the evo tps at my lhs it is well worth the money
Old 11-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

.46 NT has a bigger displacement than Magnum

TPS (.455) is same as Magnum.

I just hope Evolution makes a .60 size 4-stroke!!!
Old 11-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Montague

In practice, the BHP number you see listed for some engines is useless. You can't use it to really compare engines, as the highest BHP numbers ususally come at overly high RPM with really small props, smaller than you would use in practice.

The timeing of the various ports in the engine can have more effect on performace than many other factors. A small increase in displacement or a slightly different bore/stroke ratio helps, but porting and compression ratios matter quite a bit.

The muffler design can also have a huge effect on engine performace. Just taking the baffle out of most OS mufflers can result in as much as 1k rpm increase.

So, the only way to really compare two engines is to get RPM numbers using the same fuel, same prop and simular air temp/pressure/humidity or do something to factor in the weather conditions. In general, there is nothing in the ads or specs that can tell you which engine is more powerful.

Oh, comparing engine weight is sometimes handy. Obviously, lighter is better, but it has no effect on gross power output.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

those are very good engine a friend has the 61 on a sig rascal 110 10 pounds it flys it like a 40 size apc 12/7 prop cool power 15% fuel i didnt beleave him to i saw it fly
Old 12-01-2003, 10:53 PM
dmax64

Default RE: <span class=

Would it run OK on higher nirto fuel, I keep alot of Coolpower 30% heli fuel on hand and like to use it in my airplanes also. I'm planing on building a 40 size 3D plane soon and was looking at the MVVS .49 but don't like the fact I would have to use 5% fuel. Does this engine have quick throttle response for use in 3D flying.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:52 AM
DarZeelon

Default RE: <span class=

DMax,

Since you do not live on some uncharted desert island, why would using 5% nitro fuel bother you?
If it gives you great power, a great, low 1,800 RPM idle and a great transition, in the MVVS .49, just buy it and use it (it is quite inexpensive too)?
I would understand if it didn't, but it does.

Most plane engine manufacturers, do not recommend 30% nitro, or a pure synthetic lubricant fuel, such as CoolPower, in ABC and ABN engines.

Omega (Castor/synthetic) 5% nitro will do all you want in the MVVS, although I would recommend Model Technics and Byron fuels.
Add some BeNOL, or SIG degummed Castor oil, to get 20% total oil, for best performance and life.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:53 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: nilo

I think I'm the only one lucky guy to have problems with this engine.
I started in RC couple weeks ago and bought the whole starting equipment, including the 0.46 evolution.
The fisrt time I tried to run the engine by hand, just to check how smooth the thing is, I could feel the piston getting stuck in one position ( I had the glow plug out, so no compression). This was explainned as "normal" by the store were I bought it and by other club member with the xplanation that it had to be broken. It was a really back metal-to-metal weird noise and I couldn't berely rotate the engine(with oil).
I runned already half galon on this engine and now it's really smooth, but at least my engine wasn't broken from factory.
I didn't fly solo yet and the first flight this engine did was by a club veteran that flew it just to test the trainner and the engine. Well, the engine went dead while flying and almost caused my plane to crash, but that's ok.
Last weekend I wen to the field and the engine didn't respond to high speed. I tried to adjust the high-speed meedle, even going beyond the adjust limits (with some veteran help) but it didn't work. When you apply full throttle, the engine takes two long to follow and when it finaly goes, keep at high speed for 2-3 seconds and sundenly dies. I checked already the tank for ar leak but everything is ok.
What I found is that the small fuel link from the high-speed valve to the carburator was broken(from factory) right where it connects to the valve, so bubbles were being created from the valve to the carburator. I replaced the fuel link but the high speed issue didn't improve.
I send an email to Horizon Hobby yesterday, since I read here in RCUniverse that it would be the tech support but didn't here from then yet.
I also read here in RCUniverse a test done to the "Evolution Trainer Power System" by some expert and the engine didn't respond right away. The tech support was contacted and the low-speed needle limits were wrong by factory. After this fixed, the guy said it was a dream.

So I think my problem is adjust, but when you're abeginner, small things become black holes! Somebody here can help me?

Thanks,

Nilo

Nilo,

I had this same problem and after several dead stick landings I called Horizon Hobby and they gave me the low speed and high speed needle settings. I disabled the stops on both needles, turned in the low speed needle and backed it out 3/4 turns and the high speed needle was closed then open 1 1/2 turns. The engine ran well nut still had a slight stumble when transistioning to high speed and the return to low speed usually killed the engine. I tuned the low speed needle in 1/8 turn and now the engine transistioned nicely but still died coming from high speed to idle. I then changed out the glow plug and since then the engine has been a dream.

So far I have done the previous steps to 2 other Evo TPS engines and all have ran well since. I have had 2 of them, which includes one I bought directly from Horizon, that would not ever run well from high speed to low speed transtion. See below the needle valve settings for the problem and fix.

Here are the setting as quoted by Horizon.

Low- 1/2 to 1 turn
High- 1 1/2 to 2 turns

And if you still have problems here is a link to getting the engine repaired. Some of the engines have a problem with the head gasket not sealing and if flooded it will spit fuel out around near the the top of the head towards the front of the engine when warm which will also lean the engine at high speed and kill it during the transition to low speed.

http://www.krcs748.com/evolution_engines.htm

Bill

http://www.krcs748.com/evolution_engines.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.