Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

why are OS Type F glow plugs so expensive?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

why are OS Type F glow plugs so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: why are OS Type F glow plugs so expensive?

ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: controlliner

Order them from here.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=FOX4702

The fox miracle plug is just like the type F and it is only $7.99 canadian. They are a bit hot but the idle is fine, I use them in my FS engines.
I've used the Fox Miracle plug and found it to be a false economy. An OS-F (and in 2-strokes an OS#8) will last quite literally for years of flying. The Fox plugs only lasted about six months before the catalytic effect dropped off noticeably (RPM drop when removing plug-lead).

They're okay for a cheap standby but if you want a plug that works *and lasts* then the OS (as expensive as they might be) are more economical in the long run.

I've had a Fox Miracle plug in my OS 26 FS for two seasons using Omega 10% without a misshap. Flying Saturdays and Sundays and some weekday evenings. This is the last OS engine I bought, I don't buy them anymore since Enya has started selling direct.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
mike early

There's no reason for me to change away from OS "F" plugs. They work great for me.

But, has anyone ever tried YS glow plugs? Central Hobbies appears to think they are better.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered 6 of the Y-S plugs from Central Hobbies back in 2003. I couldn't tell them from OS "F" plugs. They were in a OS package and had an "F" stamped on one of the wrench flats. I wouldn't know which ones they are now days.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

X, I run mostly WildCat 15%/18% 80/20 blend lube. Last season I ran 6 gallons of PowerMaster 15/18% 80/20 syn castor. I got it for $58.00 and it was every bit the equal of the WildCat. I am currently running WildCat 2/4 15% with 18% all synthetic. SOme will think me a heretic but so far so good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39045.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1155211  
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

X, I run mostly WildCat 15%/18% 80/20 blend lube. Last season I ran 6 gallons of PowerMaster 15/18% 80/20 syn castor. I got it for $58.00 and it was every bit the equal of the WildCat. I am currently running WildCat 2/4 15% with 18% all synthetic. SOme will think me a heretic but so far so good.
But Hobbsy uses Corrosion-X as after run oil. He's not going to have any trouble with rust.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM
stickman/vic
My Feedback: (85)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the Japaneese are very good businessmen and can pull this off with a product that is superior. The YS plugs are identical in performance. Stickmanvic

Don't know where you buy fuel but it's way too expensive. My Hobbytown gets 39.95 for 30% heli which has 23% oil in it. I'd sure do some shopping before I buy from your vendor again.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 AM
mike early

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Hobbsy uses Corrosion-X as after run oil. He's not going to have any trouble with rust.
I am a new convert. The little tube goes inside the crank vent hose and squirts a bit of the juice right onto the bearings.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM
mike early

ORIGINAL: stickman/vic

Don't know where you buy fuel but it's way too expensive. My Hobbytown gets 39.95 for 30% heli which has 23% oil in it. I'd sure do some shopping before I buy from your vendor again.

He said he got SIX gallons, for 58 bucks.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
w8ye

I was at a club flea market sale last Saturday and the local hobby shop has Wildcat Premium 10% for $10/gallon
Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

w8ye
What the YS rep told me was the YS plug and the F plug was the same plug. OS makes them both.
I have not bought any for a while but the price at central was only 25 cents or so different between them. I see they have took quite a jump since my last order with them.
But I have had the F plug last me for years in the same engine so I don't feel like it was a bad investment.
When did Saito start putting Enya plugs in there new engines ?I alway got the McCoy with mine. I shouldn't cuss McCoy plugs to bad, for had it not been for the McCoy plug I wouldnt have got to know about the OS F plugs*L*. Honest I was ready to throw a almost brand new 91 Saito in the trash because of the plug they sent with it. A good friend and fellow flyer asked me what was going on and got me on the right track with the f-plug that day and I have never looked back. BTW That was my first 4 stroke engine also. I have tried the fox Miracle plug with not so good of luck ,maybe the fuel maybe me I dunno I usaully try to use 15% in about everything Castor Syn blend.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

w8ye
What the YS rep told me was the YS plug and the F plug was the same plug. OS makes them both.
I have not bought any for a while but the price at central was only 25 cents or so different between them. I see they have took quite a jump since my last order with them.
But I have had the F plug last me for years in the same engine so I don't feel like it was a bad investment.
When did Saito start putting Enya plugs in there new engines ?I alway got the McCoy with mine. I shouldn't cuss McCoy plugs to bad, for had it not been for the McCoy plug I wouldnt have got to know about the OS F plugs*L*. Honest I was ready to throw a almost brand new 91 Saito in the trash because of the plug they sent with it. A good friend and fellow flyer asked me what was going on and got me on the right track with the f-plug that day and I have never looked back. BTW That was my first 4 stroke engine also. I have tried the fox Miracle plug with not so good of luck ,maybe the fuel maybe me I dunno I usaully try to use 15% in about everything Castor Syn blend.
The ones I got were OS "F" plugs. At the time I just though that they didn't have any Y-S plugs in stock and sent me OS instead?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A year or so ago Saitos started comming with the Saito SS plug which is also a very OS-f looking plug. Another plug that gets left out a lot is the GloDevil 4c Special, it is a very good plug.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
mike early

I'd like to assume that YS plugs = OS "F" plugs. Saves over a dollar on each purchase.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
w8ye

I have some of the Hanger 9 Four Stroke Super Plugs that look a lot like a OS "F" but they are gold. The seem to run OK.

The Saito plug only has one ring on the stem instead of 2 like on the OS "F". I cannot see that they run any different than the OS "F"

I have a few of those MCCoy MC4 plugs that are unused. They should run good in a cold natured Evolution Glow engine?

Some people run the Enya #3 in four strokes but I still think the OS "F" is better
Old 03-13-2009, 06:45 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Enya four-strokes ran well on the old Tower Hobbies four-stroke plugs (McCoy). But I mostly stick with OS Type-F. They last so long that price isn't a factor, as far as I'm concerned.

However, if one is running an HP four-stroke, you must really resist the temptation of using an OS Type-F plug UNLESS you use two or more washers under the plug. Let that rotary drum valve strike a long glow plug once and it will cost a bit to have the engine repaired. Luckily, I had no difficulty running my HP .49VT using standard two-stroke glow plugs too. I couldn't see much to any difference between the standard length McCoy four-stroke plug and their standard two-stroke plug. If anything, the HP four-strokes (at least the .49VT) seems to prefer a cooler plug and fuel anyway.

If you're bored and want to do something different, try the HP .49VT engine. It sounds different insofar as it creates gear noise in addition to the usual four-stroke exhaust noise and it runs very well.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-13-2009, 02:14 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: N2ECW
If you're bored and want to do something different, try the HP .49VT engine. It sounds different insofar as it creates gear noise in addition to the usual four-stroke exhaust noise and it runs very well.
I have an HP .21VT and it's a real darling of an engine.

Quieter than any of the electrics at our field but not what you'd call "powerful". It'll swing a 9x6 at around 9,500rpm which isn't too bad I guess until you take its weight into account.

Still, it's just the engine for a little parasol-winged monoplane or short-nosed WWI biplane. And it runs for months on the smell of a (castor)oily rag.