Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

SuperTigre GS40 Ringed or SuperTigre GS45 ABC or OS 46FX ?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

SuperTigre GS40 Ringed or SuperTigre GS45 ABC or OS 46FX ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 05:30 AM
Born to Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperTigre GS40 Ringed or SuperTigre GS45 ABC or OS 46FX ?

I have been considering hard between these choices for my trainer .40 size.

Should I go for the SuperTigre GS40 Ringed or GS45 ABC ?[&o]

And my original consideration was the OS 46FX until a hobby shop owner recommend me the italian made SuperTigre for its power ?

Can someone give me a second opinion ? [&o]

your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:15 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SuperTigre GS40 Ringed or SuperTigre GS45 ABC or OS 46FX ?

First of all, scratch the 40 size motor idea, a 46 size motor will server you better long after your through with the trainer and are ready to go the next step.....YOUR 2nd PLANE!!

Between the ST G-45/OS 46 fx, I would pick the ST hands down. Cheaper, great idle & throttle transition, and run the same as, if not BETTER than any new OS. I've been running both for years, and have always loved the performance of Super Tigre.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
newlinmr (01-02-2021)
Old 12-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip the .40. I have had or still do somewhere the ST .45, OS 46FX and the Thunder Tiger 46pro. All of these three are equal in power and performance thus comes down to your wallet. I think the Thunder Tiger is the cheapest.
One other thing is to think ahead. Get a good engine that you can use after your trainer in your second plane which will save you money. After all is said and done remember this. I own some of the best engines out their but even the best engines can be a pain to start. This means if this is a hobby you think your going to go with, buy a starter because if you use a "chicken stick", you'll be flipping that engine foever and getting frustrated.[>:]
Old 12-21-2003, 09:22 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Mike,

I didn't mention the TT, cause he didn't ask. It sounded as though he has the opportunity to pick between the ST and the OS. But yeah, the TT is definately another option.

Also, stay away from the OS LA series, or any other MFG's bushing motors, and get yourself a BB motor.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
newlinmr (01-02-2021)
Old 12-21-2003, 09:57 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!
For a trainer an OS .40 LA is hard to beat!
Most .40 trainers are overpowered by a .46 engine (with ballbearings ).
If you have or intend to by a .40 trainer like the Kyosho Calmato ARF (which is one of the better trainers on the market) a OS .40 LA with a APC 11x5-11x6 propeller will give you a very pleasant aircraft to fly.......If on the other hand you buy a OS .46 a ST .45 or any other ballbearinged .45-.46 engine you will have a more agile spirited aeroplane (which is not so good for a newcomer).
My rekommendations is for sea-level operations..if you live at higher altitudes ...go for a .45-.46 engine.
The argument that a .46 engine is better than a .40 when you consider to buy your second airplane is not always valid ...one of the best aircraft to fly for a newcomer is an ordinary Q-500 type pylonracer aircraft with a box-like fuselage. Also good are SIG Four-Star and Great Planes Sportster series. And these airplanes fly perfectly well with a ballbearinged .40 engine.

If ARF is your thing look for a plane like a Big Stick .40 or a Kaos type of aircraft.
Avoid scale type airplanes like Tower hobbies SU-31 ARF or the Kyosho P-51 mustang fighter type aircraft...they could be an alternative later when you know more about modelairplanes.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 12-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Born to Fly

Thanks to all for your wonderful advice. What about the Magnum series ?
Old 12-21-2003, 11:35 AM
the troll
Banned

Go with the 46 FX and never look back if you want the most user friendly engine that provides lightweight power.Great middle of the road engine. If you feel you are ready for an engine that is just a little less user friendly but IMO is a better engine go with TT.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

Magnum series lasted me longer than any OS FX engine ever did, although not quite the power. Magnum's a good sport engine - just watch for air leaks around the carb and throttle barrel.

I'd recommend simply picking up a SuperTigre over the Magnum and OS - great power and last a long time.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:13 AM
DarZeelon

Troll,

That would be a bear's hug.
The FX has been replaced by the AX, which is not necessarily better, but it is newer.

So the OS FX is not even a candidate, even if it was listed.

Anyway, in low cost, ball bearing engines, I believe the Magnum/ASP/SC/SY .52 GLX, is a much better choice than the OS and it can be purchased for a $100.

Jan,

This "overpowering" is not like putting a .91 engine in a .25 plane. It is only slightly more power (25-30%).
In some situations it can get the beginner out of trouble. And if he uses a larger diameter, low pitch prop, it cannot get him into trouble from excessive speed.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:38 PM
derferic
My Feedback: (32)

Born to Fly - I have all three engines that you have mentioned. Generally speaking, I would agree with AirGar on sizing. However, my favorite ST40 turns the the same RPM as my ST45 using the same prop and fuel! Both turn about the same as the OS46FX. Frankly, I don't trust the FX cylinder to stay together as long as either ST.

Tower has the ST40 available now for $70, hard to beat.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:10 PM
octavio110657

how do i know if my s/t gs 45 is an abc or a ringed piston engine. cause i was cleaning my engine and i saw a round black mark om the top of the piston. looks like an o-ring tks for your help