Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:04 PM
leercguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Engines?

Does anyone have any experience to share, good or bad. I am considering using a 91 2stroke on a Great Planes 300 Extra 60.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Magnum Engines?

I'm currently flying a Magnum 91 XLS on a 3D model and am very favorably impressed. The only comment I would make is that the Magnum carbs are noted for having coarse threads on the needle vavles and are sometimes a little touchy to adjust on the high end. I knew that when I bought the engine and, although I have found this to be true, I have no problem setting the adjustment. It's a little hard to set by ear but no problem with a tach. Very good engine for the price.

Paul
Old 02-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Bob101

I'll never buy another. I got a defective one right out of the box from the LHS and shipped it back. I got another one with an attached note that really didn't fit what was wrong with mine at all. Telling about how it was run wrong etc.. even tho it was "new in box" when sent back. They did send me another pretty quick.

It sucked - the head gasket had a split in them (it appears like after I removed the head there was a major gap like a piston ring not a head gasket) I threw it away - the whole engine.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:06 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont recomend them i had one last year it never ran well was very tight for the first
10 or so runs . after about 18-20 runs the bearings started to go i returned it Hobby
People and paid the differnce for a os 91.

Ira d
Old 02-26-2004, 10:23 AM
aaron2874

I have a Magnum 61 and a 46. They both run well and the power is good. However, I have trouble getting them to idle consistantly. I wind up having lots of deadsticks when I chop the throttle to idle on approach. IMO, for a beginner engine, I would go with the OS 46 LA. I have two, and so far, they have been the most easy starting, smooth running, and just plain reliable engines I own. Wait a sec, my OS 46FX is awesome too... I will say this though, Magnums are tough. I speared the ground with my 61 from 75 feet up. Had to dig it out of hard dry ground. Only the needle valve arm broke. I planted my 46 too. I broke the needle valve arm and the bottom of the carb. No other damage to either engine. That is impressive I think. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to buy another Magnum 2 stroke. There are just more reliable engines out there. I can not comment on their 4 strokes as I have never had one or seen one in operation.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:49 PM
jettstarblue

Got a Magnum .52 FS and it's a good engine at a good price. I've had no problems with it and it starts easy, and has plenty of power. I would buy another.

Jetts
Old 03-11-2004, 06:01 AM
barkin_bob

I have a magnum 61RFS, It's a great running engine. Idle is excellent, Idle to full throttle transition is smooth, plenty of power pulls my GP easy sport unlimited vertical on a 12x6 prop
Old 03-20-2004, 11:11 AM
chandelle

I can't speak for the two-strokes, but I have 2 four-strokes and love them. I have a .30 and an .80 size, both NIB when I bought them. The .30 size was run inverted and performed perfectly, also extremely strong. The .80 is the most used motor in my fleet and after 1 1/2 years it has never had any issues. I haven't had to touch the low speed needle since the initial adjustment after break-in. The high speed needle never needs more than a click or two either way based on weather. It has a lower and better idle than my Saito .72 does.
I have also had the occasion to speak to Hobby People customer service on other occasions and find them to be exceptional. That was a big part of the reason that I purchased the Magnums in the first place.
Again, I can't speak for the two-strokes, but assuming the same quality as the four-strokes, I think you would be happy with them......or just get one of their four-strokes, they are very inexpensive in comparison to other brands.

And no, I don't work for them....... just probably the only product I have purchased in this hobby that I have been completely happy with.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:41 PM
CougarRules

Only have one a 36xl two stroke it is a great little engine very light good quality and throttles brilliantly did i mention that it also revs it nuts off and has no proplem pulling my cougar out of a prop hang!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:34 AM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

I have a Mag 4 stroke .52. I had it on a trainer. I now have it on a Piper Cub. Runs good. I have a XL .91 and the head gasket keeps burning up. I got it second hand and it needed a gasket. Flew only a few times and the gasket burned up and split again. 15% fuel 18% oil.

I changed it off a 4 star 60 and put a 75 Super Tigre (Itlay) on it and run better then Mag I must say. I will order anpother gasket but may tryu to trade or sell and go towrad another Super Tigre. However i like the 52 4 stroke. Been a good engine so far. 2nd season for it...
Old 05-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I have a 30, 52 and two 91 FS Magnums as well as a 40, 61 and 108 Two strokes. I have had good luck with all of these engines. Tuning is no problem unless you have personal problems with tuning. I did have to replace the carb on the 61 as it leaked air and would not shut down.
A friend recently replaced a MVVS carb onto a new Mag 75 that was needing a carb (crash). The Mvvs carb was less expensive and works much better in all aspects, truly a quality item.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:48 PM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: startsivs

I have a Mag 4 stroke .52. I had it on a trainer. I now have it on a Piper Cub. Runs good. I have a XL .91 and the head gasket keeps burning up. I got it second hand and it needed a gasket. Flew only a few times and the gasket burned up and split again. 15% fuel 18% oil.

I changed it off a 4 star 60 and put a 75 Super Tigre (Itlay) on it and run better then Mag I must say. I will order anpother gasket but may tryu to trade or sell and go towrad another Super Tigre. However i like the 52 4 stroke. Been a good engine so far. 2nd season for it...
The head is probably warped.....
Old 05-03-2004, 09:07 PM
flying klown

Yes it is preobably warped..It doesn't look like it...it may have got hot back before I got it and warped such a little bit that it takes time for uit to burn through the gasket...I did get it hot. I saw fuel around the engine must happen in flight and it it leaking out then!...I noticed I started losing power after abnout 20 flights...themn it got worse...At the end it burned up a glow plug...then I found oyt what was happening....DUH.... I took the head off and that was the end of flying that day! I usally take 3 planes...But took a 1/4 scale anmd the 4 star 60....The 1/4 scale wasn't ready....the batteries that were sold to me with the plane one of them had a dead cell...Boy gl;ad I found out before I got airborne...I sure have learned some good lessone on this already!

Later dudes..
Old 05-04-2004, 06:50 AM
aaron2874

I wonder if a machine shop could resurface a head like that. Might just need a couple thousandths shaved off. Or, compared to the cost of a new head, would it even be worth it? A good machinist can truly work wonders...
Old 05-04-2004, 07:03 AM
jettstarblue

Sometimes you can "lap it in", get some valve grinding compound, and take the engine apart, put the head on the jug with no gasket, and use something to spin it back and forth, applying GENTLE pressure. Do this for 20 mins. or so, and clean it all up, and put it back together. May work, nothing to loose, and think of the stories you can tell at the field about repairing the engine!

Jetts
Old 05-04-2004, 12:57 PM
flying klown

Yes well....I would buy another before I spent money on something that may not even work! I liked the engine but I am liking the 75 Super Tigre...I ordered a new head gasket kit it is on its way. So I will find somethimng to put it on. I am sure it will last another 30 tp 50 more flights!

Unless someone in the two clubs are machinist and want to see if they can do something wioth it for free! They can have at it!

I am flying Gas now...I have a 1/3 Mr. Mulligan anmd a 1/4 piper Cub....I am reading a cool book by Don & Judy Apostolico on Giant Planes, Gas Engines...I have already learned seceral things I needed to know in the first couple of pages...If you fly gas this is a must have....in reading.....If you do what this suggest you will have a great chance of learning something about these engines as well as the Giants....recommend highly!

Well tahns guys

later
Old 05-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Funflyaddict

I was wondering about the magnum .52XLS 2 stroke with the blue head
i am deciding about bying the sportsman aviation Paramount .52 and they reccomend the .52XLS
has anyone had problems with this motor?

thankyou alot
Old 05-05-2004, 04:48 AM
flying klown

I only have the mag .52 4 stroke. Works good...do not know about the 2 stroke..myself....
Old 05-09-2004, 10:01 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a Magnum 52 four stroke and have been very happy with it. I've just recently started having a problem with the high speed needle backing off to the rich side on it's own while flying. A piece of fule tubing over the needle should solve that though. (At least it doesn't adjust itself towards the lean side. )

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Dennis-
Old 05-11-2004, 08:21 AM
FAA

The engines are made in China.

Machining standards are not at the same tolerance levels as those found in Japan and/or Taiwan, etc etc .

Its really a hit and miss. Some people "luck out" and get the better fit. There seems to be production runs that are very good, and then others that are very bad. The machine finish on these engines is less than stellar, when compared to OS, TT and Saito.

I had bought two 91 4Strokes and ended up sending them both back. The service folks at Hobby People were very good, but at the end of the day the price vs frustration was not worth it.

I had issues with the Carb, the timing valve threads on one post was "chewed up", I was getting excessive wear (indicated by black residue coming out from the muffler). I went through two sets of engines before I gave up.

I own both saito and OS 4 strokes and even though they each have their quirks, their overall performance has been very good.

Stick with the tried and true or take a gamble. You never know, and may get lucky !

My buddy has a Magnum 91 4 stroke and it has been working great for two years now, and he is not very good at maintaining engines. Starts up great, idles good, excellent throttle response. The perfect engine. Weird !

So there you have it. Both sides of the coin.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:57 AM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

Ive got a 52 and a 61 both the 4 strokes . and they are great so far ! I just bought them last fall and they are now just broke in ! I resealed the engines with RTV red and put fuel tubing over the needles. so far they are working great.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:46 PM
granpac

I have an XL 40, XLS 46 and XL 61. They all run good. The only problem I had was with the XLS carb sealing but I got that fixed and all would appear well. For the Price I think they are very good. [8D]
Old 06-21-2004, 06:54 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Just a question?I have 2 Mag 52 4 strokes.They are the nicest running engines only problem they don't make an airplane small enough that they can pull it.We call them the gutless wonders.THose that use them what props are you using?Seems that I have tried many different ones.Just took it out of my Aerophibian could handle decently on wheels but not able to make it on water.Had in a Hangar 9 Chereokee flew it nice if only wanted to go straight and level.No copmplaint on how it runs though.Have the 91 4 stroke in my Waco 60 works bueatifully,several friends with them all love them,parts are sure lot cheaper than my YS 91 but LITTLE,less preformance but to many of us that difference isn't that critical.Could have bought a couple of the 91s for the costs of the repairs have done on my YS.Not it'
s fault though!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:05 PM
jettstarblue

Gutless wonders!!??! You must have gotten a pair of bad ones! I flew my Aresti (H-9) with much gusto, and that was a 6 lb. pattern plane. Plenty of power.
I also had it on a 4 lb delta, and it would (nearly) hover.
I ran the prop(s) that are suggested in the instructions.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Mine is a little jewel, currently have it on a Telemaster 40 on floats, a neat combo. I suspect you are not getting the most out of yours. A good 12x4 4 stroke prop is about right ,try a

zinger or Master Airscrew Classic prop(or similar). I use Morgans 15% Castor/Syn fuel which it likes.
Magnum is really good about service, if you really feel there is something wrong.
Remember this is a FS not an OS 50 2 stroke.....or similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.