Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

New YS 63 model

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New YS 63 model

I was ready to order a YS 63 when I saw an add in my AMA mag describing a new version of the 63 just coming out. The main feature I saw was they moved the pressure reg to the front of the engine. Does anyone know if the new 63 is worth waiting for or is it the same thing in a different package? I was goimg to order this week but can wait if its the best idea.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:30 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New YS 63 model

I don't know what else has changed, but Chief had the old YS 63 on sale for $219...I bet the new one won't be that cheap. Now whether or not the new one will still be in the $239~249 range (most places, retail...) I don't know. Or if it'll be $20~30 better. If I didn't already has 5 of the old ones, I'd be snapping up one for $219..
Old 03-02-2004, 01:00 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I saw the new engine in the mag too, but I didn't look at it real close. The reg at the front of the engine makes me wonder if the new 63 is pumped like the DZ. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:08 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnW

I saw the new engine in the mag too, but I didn't look at it real close. The reg at the front of the engine makes me wonder if the new 63 is pumped like the DZ. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
I'm pretty sure they are. I got one from Central Hobbies for $219 and just broke it in a week ago. The gas tank pressurizes to about
5-10 psi. I was told to put strapping tape all around my tank and I'm glad I did. that thing puffs up pretty good. If you keep the engine properly vented the new vs old engine won't matter. The change was done for operating tightly colwed engines in hot weather. Running extra oil in summer temp's is good too (Sig 30/23 heli fuel...100% Klotz synthetic).

Joe
Old 03-02-2004, 02:54 PM
ChuckAuger

No, they just moved the regulator to the front instead of the bottom (according to the ads). It's not direct injected like the DZ AFAIK.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best price I see on the net is $245 delivered from Chief for the old configuration. Central Hobbies doesn't show the YS 63. Ohio Model planes shows them in a combo with the Yak 54 for $299 + $15 shipping. Where are the $219 YS 63's?
Old 03-02-2004, 05:10 PM
ChuckAuger

Sorry, it was Central that had them on sale, not Chief..... A buddy sent me an Email on 2-12-04 that had a link to the $216 at Central. Looks like they sold them all.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:57 PM
JohnW

Chuck, thanks for the info.

Joe, in a way you answered my question too. If you tank is puffing up, then the engine is using crank pressure to pressurize the fuel system for the injector, i.e., the engine is not pumped like the 140DZ. The DZ does not use a check valve in the return line. Fuel pressure for the injector is provided by a pump incorporated with one of the push rods. Sidebar, you may wish to consider using a different tank. It is possible for a YS to burst tanks. There are many tanks that will work... in general stay away from flexible tanks. Look for Dubro or Sullivan rigid wall tanks.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, thanks for the info.

Joe, in a way you answered my question too. If you tank is puffing up, then the engine is using crank pressure to pressurize the fuel system for the injector, i.e., the engine is not pumped like the 140DZ. The DZ does not use a check valve in the return line. Fuel pressure for the injector is provided by a pump incorporated with one of the push rods. Sidebar, you may wish to consider using a different tank. It is possible for a YS to burst tanks. There are many tanks that will work... in general stay away from flexible tanks. Look for Dubro or Sullivan rigid wall tanks.
I admit I was not confident making that statement about it having a pump but thanks, now I understand how it works better. The engine is on a FuntanaS and the stock tank fits perfectly so I just wrapped it in strapping tape. The RCU review stated that they tried Sullivan and Dubro tanks and they didn't fit in the nose of the plane like the stock one. All the seems are covered in strapping tape. Hopefully this does the trick.

Joe
Old 03-03-2004, 01:49 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

On my YS63, I only run hayes tanks. I have always have leaks with dubro and sullivans. never had a air leak with a hayes.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:25 PM
JohnW

I've used hayes too, they work good. I've never had a problem with the Dubro and Sullivan rigid tanks. I do however clean up the seat area for the plug and seal it with 100% silicon caulk. I didn't always do this, but even before I started this practice my tanks would hold pressure overnight. Just scrape the plug seat area with a xacto knife to remove any flashing or other problems in the seat area. The apply a small bead of caulk to the outside of the seat area before inserting the plug. Be sure no caulk is exposed to the inside of the tank after inserting the plug. For good measure, a small bead of caulk can be run around the plug after it is inserted an around the area where the fuel lines exit.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Horacio
My Feedback: (2)

Everywhere I called for the new YS .63S have indicated to me that the motor won't be here until the end of the month at the earliest and end of April at the latest. I called YS and got about the same story. They also said this new version is lighter and will produce more power over the old version. I have a connection in Japan and he has the motor so I ordered from him. I ended up paying way more than I wanted (about 31,600 yen or $286.87 plus credit card fees of $20.) At least I will have one of these jewels in a few days to mount in my EZ Extra 230 that I have had sitting the box since 1993!
Old 03-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

This is Dave Shadel's answer to the same question in the YS Engines Support Forum.

The NEW YS 63S Report This Post | (Post No. 1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to all,
The new YS 63S has been announced, but the magazines goofed and printed our ad a month early, catching us a bit offguard with web info. We did not want to announce this engine prematurely, but the mags let the cat out of the bag.
The new engine should be on dealers shelves by the end of April. They are NOT available yet and I don't believe there are any dealers taking orders.

The engine has several new and noteworthy features, the most noticeable being the regulator placement on the left pushrod housing. The YS engineers felt that the former placement of the regulator caused problems in high heat conditions, so it is now in a much cooler place.
The lower crankcase has been strengthened to help prevent distortion during both high air and HP loads.
The cylinder is now "linerless" for better heat transfer, another aid in high heat conditions.
we have been flying prototypes of this engine for several months, and the results have been excellent. YS has made the engine better and more user friendly at no increase in price.

We hope you enjoy running it!!

Good Flying,

Dave
Old 03-04-2004, 05:35 PM
lord lucan

Gents ... NO ....NO...more power !..same dims.. regards Dave
Old 03-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Horacio
My Feedback: (2)

Just got the new YS .63S today. What a sweet little motor! I just need to figure out how to read Japanese now I really like the repositioning of the regulator. Any suggestions on a break-in prop? I plan on putting it on the teststand first.