Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

ADVICE NEEDED Supertiger and Magnum Quality

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ADVICE NEEDED Supertiger and Magnum Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:59 PM
somebunk4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE NEEDED Supertiger and Magnum Quality

Hello fellow R/Cers
I was hoping to get some input ( first hand would be best ) concerning
the Magnum XLS-52 or the Supertiger G-51. I was wondering if both or either of these engines are good runners. I know that Supertiger back when it was made in Italy was ( in my opinion ) an awesome powerhouse and a reliable performer......now I hear it is made in China. As far as the new Magnum.....I could use some input.

Many thanks to all who reply !
Old 03-21-2004, 09:43 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: ADVICE NEEDED Supertiger and Magnum Quality

The ST IMHO is a much better powerplant. You might also look at the OS 46AX. It gives pretty good bang for the buck.

David
Old 03-21-2004, 09:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You cannot go wrong with either of the three engines mentioned so far. The Super Tiger has less all out power than the others but that does not mean that you would not like it.

Buy the engine that has the best price or is easiest to come across.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-22-2004, 06:40 AM
ben flyn

My Magnum 52 is so queit I could use it as a park flyer. GREAT engine for the price!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:05 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Magnum has come a long way, and now they area amongst the GOOD engines with excellent perfomrance/price ratio due to its low cost.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have three of the Super Tigre G51s and really like them. They have a bit more vibration than a typical .45 or .46, but are strong and durable (ringed piston).

I have two dozen assorted R/C engines: Super Tigre, O.S., Saito, Thunder Tiger and Magnum. The only engine I've had to return to the factory (twice) was a Magnum .52 four-cycle. And my least-favorite two-cycle engine is my Magnum .46.

A lot of people use Magnum engines with no complaints and they are generally known as a good value at my field. My bad experiences may be a fluke.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Bob Scott
Old 06-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I to have the 52 mag 46FX , and 51 Super tiger IMO all good engines and if taken care of and broke in correctly will last a long time .The 52 Mag is the strongest of the three ,but mine had some carb issues .I replaced it with a carb off of a OS 46FX direct fit .Comparing the newer ST to the original ones The one I have will run circles around the newer ones .I think they changed the port timing in them ,but I can't find anything to prove this theory.just more RPM's swinging the same prop.
Hope this helps some ,,,, Happy Landings
Old 06-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Ernie Misner

My Magnum 52 drove me crazy with deadsticks. They sent me a whole new engine after while but I sold it.... couldn't take any more of that, and the guy that bought it loves it. My Magnum 46 on the other hand is extremely strong and reliable. It just wants to run, and run good. I do have the extra volume muffler of a 52 on it though. Unlimited vertical with a 12x4 APC on my 4* 40. I do like that the Magnums have a true chrome bore, not nickel plate.

Ben, your 52 that is extremely quiet is the XLS 2-stroke, not the 4-stroke? My 52 was loud, loud, loud, but put out scary power WOT!

Ernie
Old 06-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

Stay away from the Magnum 52 XLS two stroke. The carb. on it is N.F.G. along with the bearings and bushing fit on the con-rod / crank pin. I replaced the bearings on mine and was going to replace the con-rod bushing as well, mine came from the factory .005" loose on the crank pin. I had the engine apart when it was new. The crank pin was -.002" on the nominal diameter and the bushing was +.003". Pretty shotty machining I.M.O..

No sense doing it now because I now have slop in the wrist pin as well, probably due to the loose crank pin fit, so I'm just going to run it till she blows! The engine is a (powerful) P.O.S. .... waste of money I.M.O. It will be a long time before I purchase any more Chinese "junk". You may want to consider a Thunder Tiger Pro 46. Although not as powerful as the 52, it is far superior in quality with one of the best carbs. in the business and is reasonably priced. The TT 46 probably has more grunt than the ST 51.

What type of plane are you planning to put the engine in?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> It will be a long time before I purchase any more Chinese "junk". You may want to consider a Thunder Tiger Pro 46>>>

Isn't that a paradox Pepe? I thought the TT was Chinese too, but maybe not. I have to agree that they are an excellently make engine either way! I wish they would introduce some new aero engines though. I believe I have seen .39 and .50 heli engines from TT.

Ernie
Old 06-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got 2 Magnum .52XLSs. Individually, they run very well, although they are on planes that I fly full throttle nearly all the time. I wasn't able to get them to be reliably on a twin. I plan to use one on a delta with a Jett muffler.

My GMSs weren't too good on a twin either. Run great by themselves. OS AXs run great on a twin and everywhere else. The 2 Evo .46s I have on a Dual Ace run well so far. They are Magnums in disguise-made in the same plant.

We have 6 or so heli guys at my field and they all started with Thunder Tigers and to a man, they all dumped them. Very unreliable. They are all flying OS and YS now. Cost more, but work. I had a TT .36 and couldn't get it to stay adjusted over time. Sold it. My TT .46 is OK, but nothing to crow about.

I did notice that Evo has a new .52 available late this month. The specs are exactly the same as the Mag .52XLS. I wonder how it'll run? Too bad it's $129.99. More expensive than the Evo .61!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:01 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

The Evo .45 and .46NT are good engines. Chrome liners. Pack a lot of power. Good warranty and very good prices. I would rate the .46NT as much more powerful than the 46FX.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

>>> It will be a long time before I purchase any more Chinese "junk". You may want to consider a Thunder Tiger Pro 46>>>

Isn't that a paradox Pepe? I thought the TT was Chinese too, but maybe not. I have to agree that they are an excellently make engine either way!

Ernie

Thunder Tiger engines are manufactured in Taiwan. I've probably ran three times as much fuel through my Pro 46 before I replaced the bearings in that one. My Pro 36 is one of the finest running two strokes I've come across. IMO TT aircraft engines are a good value. I can't comment on their Heli engines and I am a fan of O.S. engines. Never had a problem at all with them either, but you do pay a little more.

The Chinese engines I've come across just don't have the quality of other brands. Replace the bearings and install an O.S. carb on a Magnum 52 and you have a decent engine, but are you really saving money when you go that route. My Mag. 52 has served me well for the price and I managed to get the thing to run correctly, but I wonder how many people out there have lost an aircraft due to dead sticks. Was the few dollars saved worth the cost of an airplane?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LHS is selling Magnum .46 XLS's for $59.95. You cannot beat this engine for the money. The one I had a few years ago would run with a OS.46 FX any day of the week.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

It is possible for a product to be built in China and still be excellent in quality with good value. Super Tigre is an example. To tell the truth I can't see any difference in quality between the Italian ST's and the Chinese ST's. As a matter of fact, It seems to me that I was able to tune my new ST90 easier and more accurately than my new Italian one. I don't know why. Anyway, like with anything you buy, "You pays your money and you takes your chances".
Super Tigres are an excellent buy for the money, period.
Regards,
doubledee
Old 06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
broke_n_bummin

Well, Super Tigre engines are good engines for a 2 stroke. Their only downfall is the muffler. It's good in design and all, but once you clamp it on to the header, you can't ever move it, or it will leak. I have an S40 and G75. Both are excellent running engines, but you're either going to have to clamp the muffler and leave it, spend another $40 - $50 for a Pitts muffler, or make your own. ST's and Magnum engines are inexpensive engines, but inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap.
The only thing I don't like about the magnum (and the ST is this way also), is the location of the needle valve. I think the magnum 46 is like an OS, with the needle valve behind the engine away from the prop. Power, performance, reliability and price, it'd be a hard call. But I think I'd choose the magnum, just because of the muffler.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:44 PM
blw

We have a few Evolutions at my field, quite a few Magnums, and some ASPs. All are made in China and are fine engines. I don't know how anyone could knock the quality. I certainly would put one of the smaller sized Evolutions up against an OS for quality, etc. What deadsticks? The most I ever had was with a .46FX!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Iflyglow

I have flown OS's, Magnum's, Saito's, YS's and Tower .75's, and all I can say is the Chinese engines will run right along side any engine out there except for a YS of course. My favorite 2 stroke of all time is believe it or not the Tower .75. Infact I just ordered another one yesterday. I am on my forth gallon with my first Tower .75 and I have not had one flame out, dead stick, or any problem what so ever with it. I just picked up another Magnum .46XLS the other day at my LHS for $54.99 on sale.
It is kinda funny that the Chinese use the best plateting material for ABC engines "Hard Chrome", and the over rated twice as expensive OS's use a cheaper less durable Nickel plating. When I fly my Shoestring, I keep getting asked if i have an OS in it. I allways say no, my engine is still running when I land. I just payed $89.00 for my last Tower .75 with a 4 year warranty. Os's might have been one of the best engines years ago, but now days they are being made cheaper and cheaper and are way over priced.[X(]
Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: SwampFlier-RCU

Magnum has come a long way, and now they area amongst the GOOD engines with excellent perfomrance/price ratio due to its low cost.

--------------

They have come a long way and they have an excellent service department, but they are not in the same league as OS, Enya, Webra, Rossi. Someday maybe.

However, for average sport flying, they are just fine. Now, if they would only reduce their prices to their previous ratios versus the big boys. At those prices, they were outstanding values. At their present prices, I'll just buy the real thing instead. I think they are hurting themselves with their present pricing structure.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Iflyglow

I would put a Tower .61 up against an OS .61fx anyday of the week. They will walk all over the OS for half the money. I also have run Magnum .46XLS's which will run with the best .46's out there. I also run a Magnum four stroke which runs identical to an OS. I just wish somebody would copy the Saito design, since they have become quite gready like OS.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> My LHS is selling Magnum .46 XLS's for $59.95. You cannot beat this engine for the money>>>

I agree. They used to go on sale for $49.95, but that might be a thing of the past. One sweet running little engine, mine anyway.

Ernie
Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
blw

Artisan,

Who needs to reduce their prices? Not Evolution or Magnum! Maybe you are talking about high OS prices?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Iflyglow

Blw,
I think OS and Saito are somewhat greedy. Saito's are getting up there with OS, but atleast they are not boat anchors like the OS four strokes.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

It is kinda funny that the Chinese use the best plateting material for ABC engines "Hard Chrome", and the over rated twice as expensive OS's use a cheaper less durable Nickel plating.

The hard chrome process is very environmentally unfriendly and in many countries is cost prohibitive. China doesn't concern itself about such things.

Paul
Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Iflyglow

That is the biggest frigin excuse I have heard of in a while.There is plenty of Chroming going on, even in the US. There is also a hell of a lot of Chroming going on in Japan. Quit trying to make excuses why OS uses nickel. The main reason is because it is cheap and less precise to put on. For the people who think Nickel is as good as Hard Chrome for a clyinder, can you please tell me what meds you are on so I can get some (halucinagenic theories). It is kinda of funny that OS still markets there engines as "ABC", those initials stand for Aluminum, Brass and Chrome, not Aluminum, Brass and Nickel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.