Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum-46 Leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:00 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum-46 Leaking?

I have a magnum 46 that at this point is broken in...with about 3 gallons of fuel through it. The thing is when the carb throat is completely closed the engine won't stop. In fact, if I put my hand over the throat, it still won't stop. It has to be stopped by holding the spinner.

I'm guessing that the carb is leaking around where I had to screw it in to the engine. The design of the carb is such that a single O-ring is all that seals the carb...and the O-ring doesn't even to seem to have a seat. It sits sorta on top of the engine hole....then a screw just holds it on to keep it from falling off. Not a well thought out design so it doesn't surprise me its leaking. Someone at Magnum sure be hung by the feat and hit with switches and then fired.

Anybody solved this problem? I was thinking about using RTV and putting the carb on...but I think the instructions actually tell you not to do this. Obviously others have tried to solve this problem.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:57 PM
radcon56

Default RE: Magnum-46 Leaking?

You should be hung by your feet and hit with switches for using rtv to seal a carb! It's probably caused by something you did.Like tightening the carb too much and bending the mounting flange or something.Sorry to hear that.Oh,well.One other thing,you can't stop the engine by disconnecting the fuel line?Take away fuel,engine stops?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:04 PM
3d-aholic

Thats ridiculous....nothing is bent.....
[:@]
I've already done that before so I'm smart not to do it every again. [:-]
Old 03-24-2004, 06:09 PM
radcon56

O rings are cheap.You might try getting several different ones and see what happens.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
3d-aholic

Someone on the Global help forum believes it is the bearing that is leaking....not the carb.

I guess I'll need to bring a can of Silcon spray next time I'm out at the field and try and find it. Its only a minor pain.

The O ring is tight but the O ring sits on top of everything....it does nothing. O'rings...need to have a seat on both sides for them to do anything. Just placing an O ring close to something that could leak does nothing.

My experience with other engines is 2 O-rings both of which go into the actual engine body and both that are seated into the throat and one at the bottom that has seat inside the engine.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:05 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of my engines 6 of which are irvines just have the O ring trapped between the engine and the carb no slots push down on the carb while tightening the retainer screw it squeezes the ring for a perfect seal no goop is required You may have a loose fit between the barrel and the carb
body allowing it to suck air, take the barrel out and put some light grease on it put it back then try again
this is diagnostic only since it will wash out in short order but will allow you to see if that is the
problem
Old 03-25-2004, 08:51 PM
radcon56

Good thinking!I dought the bearings are the problem,since the engine only has 3 gals on it.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
3d-aholic

I don't understand the grease diagnostic.... What am I looking for?

I was told that if I drip silicon oil around the oil ring and if it leaks in it will effect the motor and cause it to stop without damaging it. If that happens, its leaking.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 PM
ZB50

OH no! This problem sounds much like the dreaded GMS disease. Some said it was bearings, others said backplate seal, then there were the poorly machined throttle barrel. I had a GMS .47 and bearings helped it but never totally solved it. See if you can find another carb and see what happens.

ZB