Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4 stroke Magnum engines

Old 06-17-2002, 01:46 AM
Longaly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke Magnum engines

I am looking for comments either good, bad or indifferent as to the reliability, ease of operation, and power of Magnum 4 strokes. Is the lower cost an indication of quality?
Old 06-17-2002, 01:57 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well Longaly,

I have 5 of them if that is any indication of anything. As far as I can tell, they run about the same as the OS 4 strokes excepting the OS 70 and some of the pumped, supercharged, & fuel injected versions of the OS's.

I have 2 Magnum/ASP61's one ASP65, one ASP91, and one ASP120. They all run just fine. This is saying that the ASP/Magnum/SC engines are all identical if you are comparing the same years made. I also have an old style ASP40 and an old 108 Red Head 2 cycle engine.

The Magnum61 doesn't always hold it's own with the Saito 56 and the Saito 100 has about the same power as the Magnum120 FS. But I also know that my ASP91 is stronger than my Saito 80.

Jim
Old 06-17-2002, 06:32 AM
h82crash

Default You get what you pay for!

Yes, Quality is directly propotional to cost in this case. See my post on pg 2 now under Magnum 91 tuning. The Magnum 4 strokes run ok. If you're a sport flyer Not trying to get that last rpm out of the engine, you might be happy with Magnums. Carefull though, I'd hand pick one from your local hobby shop and hope they have several to choose from. I went through a half dozen before I found one without any visible flaws, ranging from forging laps to broken valve covers. The lowest grade bearings are used and if you forget to put afterrun oil in it they'll be rusted in a day. Its hit or miss to get a good one. The money saved is in the production and the workmanship is poor. For what its worth, the magnum 91 I have runs well, I think I got lucky. Bought because it was $150 on sale and went on a 60 trainer.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:57 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 4 stroke Magnum engines

Originally posted by Longaly
I am looking for comments either good, bad or indifferent as to the reliability, ease of operation, and power of Magnum 4 strokes. Is the lower cost an indication of quality?
I fell in love with four-cycle engines after buying my first Saito; a .56. I followed that with a Saito .65 and .91. Then, I bought an O.S. 70. The O.S. runs well, but is very heavy for it's size (heavier than a Saito .91). I preferred the Saitos. After hearing lots of great things about the Magnum four-cycles and liking the price, I bought a Magnum .52 four-cycle. It wouldn't run properly and was returned to Magnum. They replaced it. The replacement would not run right and it was returned. They replaced the upper end under warranty and now it runs OK. I would personally not buy another one.

Good luck with whatever you chose,
Bob Scott
Old 06-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Default Magnum 4s

While I haven't owned one myself, a few guys in the club have tried them. They all fought them and eventually replaced them. Two of them threw rods and locked up. They never could get a decent flight out of them.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:32 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

i had one sold it for a coke and candy exelent paper weight though they would look nice in my cube for display
Old 06-23-2002, 01:57 AM
Stall n' Fall

Default Magnum 4 strokes

If you like the quality of the ASP engines , buy the Magnums because that's who makes the Magnum's.....it's like the ole' addege...you get what you pay for.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:59 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

yeah, they do allright i would mind buying another seriously
Old 06-23-2002, 09:34 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

If you are in a hurry, a novice with little engine skills, a snob or someone into instant gratification, pass on the Magnum/ASP engines.

If you have a modicum of common sense, realize that some of the engines may need returning for warranty work, are not a snob and are willing to wait for the engine to break-in before making a judgement, then Magnum/ASP engines might be for you.

Some of these engines break-in and run properly just like an OS or a Saito engine. Some may take longer than OS or Saito. One of the things you sacrifice when saving money is the instant gratification aspect that accompanies more expensive engines. That's just the way life is.

I own all of the brands of engines. I have different expectations for each brand. Magnum/ASP has its place in my shop.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Hawk21
My Feedback: (7)

I have a magnum 91 that out turn a saito 91 by 400
rpm the same day same prop and same fuel. The only
big difference is the weight. magnum engines are
very reliable with good power range and cheap. If I need
another engine (4 stroke) I will look at magnum first and where weight is a problem saito.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:22 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Definately not an OS, but not a bad deal for the money
My 2 cents
Brian
Old 06-25-2002, 03:12 AM
Slowpoke-RCU

I have 2 magnum 91 4 stroke engines and a few of the pilots that fly with us have 91 fs and I have seen a few of mag 52 fs . They seem to do just fine . They take a little bit to break in , but if you run them rich you can fly them while you breakem in..So far mine are 2 years old and several gallons through them . Stll good comp. good rpm and sound like a honda 90 . I have a new bi-plane thats going to have the 120 fs onit .so to each his own.....
Old 06-25-2002, 06:43 AM
h82crash

I know I already had a turn but just some advice. If you cannot afford the other engines then buy the Magnum on sale. The regular price is too close to the price of a Saito to risk the headaches. $150, I paid for the 91 was worth the risk for me. If you're near a Hobby People(I am) then you can get walk-in service.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:12 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I agree with H82crash (hope I got it right).

I bought two Magnum .52 four-strokes for $105 a piece a year or two ago. They have been fantastic engines. Ditto the .91, but I didn't get that one on sale. Still, I didn't get burned.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Alastair

I have a Magnum .52 that runs very well. Its not extremely powerful, but it has ample power with an 11-7.5 prop to fly a Kadet Senior. I have also found that 30% heli fuel makes this engine run much more reliably and gives it more power, of course that is true of most engines.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:43 AM
RADIOFLYERDAVE

Default mine has been great!!!

Took a chance and bought a magnum 52 about 6 months ago and this thing runs as good as any other I ever had, and I have had OS, Saito and enya. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Just my opinion.