Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bearings-Brass cage vs steel cage

What are the pros and cons of the use of brass cages vs steel cages on rear bearings, such as in a Saito 1.80. I would guess brass will not rust as steel does, but probably not as strong as steel. I note most bearings have steel cages. Is this primarily because of cost? Or because it is more durable.
    Thanks
    Cajuncharley

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Bearings-Brass cage vs steel cage

I tend to think that a steel cage can take more rpm... but since that doesn't matter at the rpm your 1.80 runs both are the same.

Brass rusts too... it doesn't rust like steel though... instead of becoming brown it becomes green... but it rusts all the same...
    Revver Brother #33
    ...I think it needs more power...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Charles, Winibald,

Brass has a lower tendency to rust, but its more positive attribute is a lower friction coefficient with the steel bearing balls.

Stainless steel bearing have SS retainers and are less prone to rust, but are weaker as far as load capacity is concerned.

There are also retainers made from phenolics, or polymite plastic, which obviously don't corrode.
    Dar Zeelon - ISRAEL - ddzeelon@gmail.com
    MVVS - Jett - MS Composit - Rossi - Mejzlik

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    Brass (doubt it is brass really,plated maybe) or steel caged bearings is normal in modelengines but better still is bearings with plastic retainers because of less damage to the engine if the retainers brake.
    What is important in model engines is to have a bearing that turns easily...standard ballbearings are not the best suitable for modelengines! Better is to get C3 or C4 bearings ( C3 or C4 is a bearing with more play between the balls and the inner and outer shell).
    Nowadays there is even ceramic bearings available and they are even better but much more expensive than ordinary steel ballbearings.
    I think Boca bearings has them.

Regards!
    Jan k
    Sweden
    Jan Karlsson - Supplier MVVS Products