Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

cant tune saito 100 !!! why???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:40 PM
azcrf19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant tune saito 100 !!! why???

I HAVE A SAITO 100 IN MY CORSAIR, AND HAD BEEN RUNNING LIKE A SEWING MACHINE. NOW I CANT GET IT TO IDLE, IVE CHANGED GLOW PLUGS SEVERAL TIMES. I HAVE ADJUSTED LOW SPEED 1/8TH OF A TURN AS FAR IN AS 2 TURNS FROM THE STOCK SETTING. IT ACTS LIKE IT LOADS UP AND DIES, BUT FROM 1/3 THROTTLE IT LOADS UP, THEN SOMETIMES JUST DIES, LIKE NO FUEL GOING TO IT. I PULLED THE TANK, REPLACED ALL FUEL LINES. I DONT NO WHAT TO DO NEXT. THE ENGINE IS BETWEEN INVERTED, AND A 45 DEGREE ANGLE, AND THE TANK STOPPER IS ABOVE THE CENTER LINE OF THE CARB. I ADJUSTED THE VALVES, AND I THINK IM GOING TO SWAP CARBS FROM ANOTHER 100 I HAVE. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME ON THIS ISSUE? [>:]
THANKS!
Old 04-03-2004, 09:55 PM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

Default RE: cant tune saito 100 !!! why???

Well. going on the Carb swap could narrow it down real good. Maybe try that first since you have it available. That trick hepled me on a G90. I messed with that engine for a week. Borrowed a carb from a buddy and the engine still ran bad which later turned out to be a warped piston. Subsquently warranteed with a new engine.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:06 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try some different fuel?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 04-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

The Saito 100 on my Extra 300 started stalling out at idle last year and adjusting the mixtures didn't help. After it stalled out twice in a row during an IMAC contest my "coach" told me to pull out the needle valve, and flush fuel through and out the needle valve hole using my electric fuel pump. This solved the problem for a week or two and then the motor started stalling again. I flushed the valve assembly out once more and this time installed a filter between the tank and the motor. I haven't had a problem since. Maybe the Saito needle valve assemble is particularly sensitive to trash in the lines?

Be careful if you do this. I found out the hard way that raw 15% fuel can ruin a canopy!

Walt
Old 04-04-2004, 01:57 AM
Checklst

I have found with my 4 strokes they can act really weird and not hold a needle setting when the valves need adjustment.

Just a thought
Old 04-04-2004, 08:49 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you changed plugs were you changing brands? I found the stock Satio plug was crap so I changed to a Fox Miracle. If you were trying other types Fox, OS, etc. then disregard this post.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:54 PM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say whether you have a filter just before the carb. If not that is the most likely cause of your problem.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:26 PM
MyNeed4Speed
My Feedback: (2)

how much run time is on the motor? as it breaks in, you really need to lean the low end alot, then resetting the high end. Saito's default setting is 5 turns out on the low... you probably need to be inside of that at least 3 turns

if that's not it ... sounds like dirt. before swapping carbs, would suggest flushing it with fuel, and perhaps even soaking it overnight in fuel. always seems to help

randy
Old 04-04-2004, 11:46 PM
David Cutler

Also, check to see if the 'O' rings at each end of the intake tube are worn or damaged. A classic Saito problem which makes it impossible to set the mixtures.

-David C.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:50 AM
azcrf19

WELL I THINK I GOT THE PROBLEM FIXED. 1 OF 2 THINGS. I FLUSHED OUT THE CARB, AND I BOUGHT ANOTHER GALLON OF FUEL, AND THE OLD BOTTLE WHICH IS ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD AND HALF FULL IS MUCH DARKER THAN THE NEW FUEL. ANYWAY WITH THE NEW FUEL I GOT THE ENGINE TO IDLE LOW AND TRANSITION WELL! SO I TRIED THE OLD FUEL AGAIN, AND IT WOULDNT RUN! WHY IS THE OLD FUEL SO DARK? I ALWAYS REMOVE FUEL FROM MY TANKS, IS THIS WHATS MAKING IT SO DARK LOOKING, AND WHY OR HOW CAN MY FUEL BE BAD AFTER 2 WEEKS OLD? I KNOW THERES SHELF LIFE TOO, BUT I TALK TO GUYS AT THE FIELD, AND THE SAY THEVE HAD FUEL FOR 6 MONTHS OR LONGER AND IN WORKS FINE! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS!
TERRY
Old 04-05-2004, 09:00 AM
pikebishop

was the fuel out in the sun much? I think the sunlight can breakdown certain elements in our fuel.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:31 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Dark fuel is almost always a sign the the Nitro has sucked in moisture from it's surroundings. Use the old jug to kill some weeds or something. It's not much good for anything but that one it goes bad.

Neo
Old 04-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When the engine is running it creates a lot of water during the combustion process and some of it gets in the tank but in small quanitities. By putting the left over back in the jug it is accumulating more in the jug each time where as when using all the fuel in the tank the moisture flows through the engine in quantities to small to notice.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

I am having this same problem! Inconsistant idle. I think I will try flushing the carb then use new fuel. This engine is driving me nuts!!![:-]
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Build-n-flyer-RCU

The Saito 100 on my Extra 300 started stalling out at idle last year and adjusting the mixtures didn't help. After it stalled out twice in a row during an IMAC contest my "coach" told me to pull out the needle valve, and flush fuel through and out the needle valve hole using my electric fuel pump. This solved the problem for a week or two and then the motor started stalling again. I flushed the valve assembly out once more and this time installed a filter between the tank and the motor. I haven't had a problem since. Maybe the Saito needle valve assemble is particularly sensitive to trash in the lines?

Be careful if you do this. I found out the hard way that raw 15% fuel can ruin a canopy!

Walt

--------------

All needle valve/spray bar assemblies are sensitive to foreign objects.

Do yourself a favor. Discard the original clunk(s) for Dubro sintered bronze fuel clunk/pickups and use a third line for filling the tank(s). You can keep your fuel filter, but you really won't need it if you do as I have recommended. Every couple of years, pull your tanks apart and replace the sintered bronze pickup with a fresh one.