Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

saito 180 help?

Old 05-25-2003, 10:53 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default saito 180 help?

New saito 180 installed and one gallon of fuel thru it-it idles so rough-it is shaking ship apart-It has always idled like this-at last resort-I tried to lean-no help-it is almost like it is loading up at low rpm-it is mounted inverted and fuel tank is at needle valve level-tried running with glow igniter left on and still runs really rough-I have thought about possible valve lash adjustment but this engine has ran like this since first start-I am really at my wits end-any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated-thanks
Old 05-31-2003, 07:13 PM
cubflipper02
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito 180 help?

Make triple sure you've balanced your spinner and prop exactley.Then try a perry pump,that has cured alot of probs I've had with mine in the past.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:31 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default saito 180 help?

It still could be rich on the low end. Turn the plane so the engine is upright. Then fire it up and lean the low end
till it idles smothly. A 1/4 turn at a time and wait 20 seconds betwen each adjustment. The mounting inverted wont make any diff once the tune is correct. But if it's inverted and rich it runs terrible.The valves could be loose but that would only cause it to loose power. I don't think it would make it idle rough. they should be adjusted after break in on any 4-C. I own two Saitos and the factory setting on the low end was way rich on both. They do it that way to make sure a novice wont burn it up in the first five minutes. One of mine took about three full turns to get it right. Don't give up, you've got a great power plant. later daveo
Old 06-02-2003, 10:01 AM
southern_touch99

Default saito 180 help?

I wonder if maybe you have a slight twist or bend in your crank shaft?? Just a suggestion. What kind of motor mount are you running on it? Even saito could have a bad product. Maybe you should send it to horizon being as its still under warrenty. I am pretty sure they handel all of the saito repairs in the states.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:15 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default saito 180 help?

How solidly is it mounted? (what plane is it on? Are you using hard mounts or a vibration isolation mount?) If the front end of the fuselage allows twist, (in the framework) then a large single cyl 4-stroke will twist the heck out of it.

The soft mounts commonly used in Pattern competition aircraft are there for just this problem. They allow the engine to swing up to about a 12 deg arc! The mount taking the shock loads of this helps to keep the engine from ripping the plane apart, allowing a lighter structure.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:41 AM
RaceCity

Default saito 180 help?

If the idle mixture is set "correctly" as you suggest...you may just be trying to idle the engine too low.

Incidentally...I have NEVER seen a "pump" cure a vibration problem. ??????

Bring the idle speed up a notch and see what happens. Don't forget...a 1.80 single cylinder is NOT gonna be satin-y smooth. You wanted the power...now deal with the vibes.

'Nite.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:30 PM
PLANE JIM

Default saito 180 help?

The problem is cured-I replaced the glass mount with saito-alum. solid mount and the shaking is gone and the idle is so smooth-this engine is really smooth and sounds nice-just wanted to follow-up with the repair and it maybe it will help someone else-FH was pretty close on his comments(pretty amazing-I wished he lived down the street). Daveo you are right about the greatness of the power plant-thanks to everyone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Default saito 180 help?

Just curious, do you use an electric starter for your engine? I have one, too and have to start it by hand, given that I am not aware of electric starter at 12V that will turn this baby...

Old 06-20-2003, 10:13 PM
PLANE JIM

Default saito 180 help?

Hello Bevis-yes I do start it with a dynatron 12v/24v starter with standard 12 volt gel cell that I use on smaller engines-the engine has loosened up a little and I can tell it is spinning over easier but probaly time to adjust the valves-[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]