Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Broken Muffler- Magnum 61

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Muffler- Magnum 61

The mounting flange of the muffler on my Magnum 61 2 stroke broke - an apparent stress fracture since there has been no crash. The piece has broken off just inside the mounting hole. The muffler is useless at this stage since it can't be mounted and the piece includes part of the flange so it cannot seal. Has anyone had any luck in repairing broken muffler flanges? I was going to try JB Weld but figured it wouldn't hold up to the stress of mounting/vibration/heat. I don't know whether this can be TIG welded or brazed. I probably should just buy a new muffler but I would like to see if this one can be repaired.

Ross
Old 05-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Waco Driver

Default RE: Broken Muffler- Magnum 61

An experienced TIG welder can glue it back together. Expect some warpage which should be adjustable with a file. I had the exhaust boss welded on an OS 45 FSR but the distortion of the bore was sufficient to render the casting as scrap. JB weld will not cut it.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Ross Kean

I think I can get someone to attempt the TIG welding. I had already come to the conclusion that JB Weld would not handle this particular application. I expect to have to resurface the mounting flange and likely redrill and retap the hole. Maybe not worth it but I have nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Ross
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

I dont know how old it is, but send it back to global hobby services and they will probably send you a new one. I had the end of my muffler come loose and I sent it back, they gave me a new one, with a note about a new updated version.