Magnum XL 30 4 stroke...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 07:48 AM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XL 30 4 stroke...

Hello All,
I am thinking about a project that will use the Magnum XL 30 4 stroke engine. What would be the smallest fuel tank (oz) I could use for 10 to 12 minutes of "Sunday flying" flight times? I consider "Sunday flying" to be 1/2 to 3/4 throttle settings most of the time with some full throttle [>:] here and there. Thank you for your reply. Also, if you are so inclined, any words, pro or con on the engine itself? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:25 PM
The PIPE

Default That sounds about RIGHT...

Dear Justrfb:

The PIPE Here again...and you SHOULD be able to EASILY get the amount of time you're looking for with a 4 ounce tank with your desired engine!

I've got an all-broken-in Saito FA-30 "mill" for my veteran...and in need of SERIOUS OIL SOAKING REMOVAL during its restoration...

...flying dedication to my favorite rock act of all time, Scandinavia's ABBA...and this "ABBABIPE" Jungmeister of mine (built from Gordon Whitehead's plans in the January 1982 RC Modeler magazine if you're interested...the plans ARE still available) is getting its FIRST four stroker ever (it used to fly on a long-departed HB .25 two stroker) and with a weight of 4 pounds "all up", my Saito SHOULD be able to make that dear old bird of mine TRULY "sparkle" after its LENGTHY restoration...it last flew in 1985...gets back on track this coming winter. My Jungmeister IS equipped with a 4 ounce tank...it WILL need a new one, of course (the OLD one hasn't been TOUCHED in almost twenty years-time for an all NEW one!)...but the Saito 30 should EASILY just "sip" the fuel with proper "throttle management", and should result in some easy 15 minute flights!

My veteran OS FS-40 "pre-Surpass" 1981-vintage four stroke engine flies my "equally ancient" Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 40 with a full throttle fuel consumption of something like 1/3rd of an ounce a minute. I'd imagine your desired Magnum 30 four stroker SHOULD get better economy of something like a 1/4th an ounce of fuel a minute, once it's all broken in, and my Saito FA-30 WAS getting something like that for fuel economy in ITS final stages of break-in...I ran just about a FULL GALLON of fuel through that mill, during its breakin, and it WAS taking a slight bit MORE than a half an hour to empty the test stand's fuel tank, on each 10-oz tank I was running through it at the end of the ground test stand break-in runs.

You sound like you like to "manage the throttle" during a flight a slight bit...that's something I do ALL THE TIME...and when someone flies with the type of radios I ALWAYS fly with...

...those oh-so-NEAT style of "older" RC radios known as KNOBBY BOXES, or "single stick" radios, which I've ALWAYS built for my own use-the throttle control is on the SIDE of the transmitter, separate from ALL three of the main flight controls, and THAT makes it VERY easy to manage the throttle whenever one wants to!

The Magnum line of four stroke engines HAS greatly improved over the years they have been available, from what I've read here at RCU postings...and MOST people that have used them recently seem to be rather pleased with their performance so far.

In case you may decide to get either the Saito or OS engine in that size instead, be advised of a NICE feature of these two particular engines SHARE in a 30 size of four stroker...the exhaust port threading of the OS and Saito 30 sized four stroke engines is EXACTLY the same!!! I've tried it out at my local hobby shop, which sells OS four strokers...I was able to easily thread my small Saito's muffler into the OS FS-30's exhaust port, and the OS fluid nut and exhaust tube-it WAS about a year and a half ago that I tried it-ALSO fit my Saito just as well...what a PLEASANT surprise!

All in all, you SHOULD be quite happy with your choice..and consider that small Jungmeister I mentioned of Gordon Whitehead's as a plans-built project for the future...you can purchase that plan online from RC Modeler, and to do so, just head for http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...ore-plans.html and enter the number 856 in the small window with the "GO" sunburst button to the right of it AT that page...and you'll see what I based that small Jungmeister of MINE on! THAT one would be a GREAT performer with ANY of the 30 sized four strokers out there nowadays...and this winter my small one will get ITS Saito 30 installed for some VERY AEROBATIC flyin'fun in 2005!

Hope THESE tips helped you out...and consider those Jungmeister plans I've mentioned! The Jungmeister makes a GREAT RC scale model in just about ANY size...from the old Flyline kit of it (PERFECT for electric conversion, IF you can find one) which flew originally on small Cox .049 two strokers, all the way up to Gary Allen's HUGE ONE THIRD SCALE version from plans available from Model Airplane News magazine's website...and just canNOT be beat for a basic FUN aerobatic biplane to "dance around the sky" with!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 05-15-2004, 03:32 PM
justrfb

Default RE: Magnum XL 30 4 stroke...

Jeez Pipe,
That was about 3/4 more than I asked for... Thank you so much for taking that time to write. I am considering the Magnum 30 4 strokes for a Twin project. The RTModels Dash-8. It is pretty nice looking. I am not sure I am going to go through with it because my shop time is very limited but if I do, I will have no problem dropping in the 4 Oz tanks thanks to your wonderful advice. I will also check out those plans you offered but probably not do anything with them for a while. Thank you so much again.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:14 PM
capescw

I've tried everywhere else for an answer but here, so HERE GOES !

I plan on a 1/12 version of the WWI Gotha bomber with 2 .30 4-strokers, but have been unable to get the dimensions for the Magnum 30. I need ONLY the mounting surface to top of rocker covers measurement, and the front of prop hub to rearmost engine projection. Help WILL be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

p.s. HOW do you post a NEW entry here, directions are sparse.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: capescw

p.s. HOW do you post a NEW entry here, directions are sparse.
When you're in the forum, seeing the list of topics, there is a "New Post" button near the upper left of the screen.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:36 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cape, here's a source for dimensions....ASP 0.30 FS

I'm pretty sure Magnum and ASP are identical and come from the same factory.

Jim
Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim- that was a bit rude to make him wait 12 years for the dimensions, don't you think? Sheesh. Some of you guys need etiquette training. To think of him looking for an answer every day since 2005. I wonder if he is still with us.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:15 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha! That's what I get for searching on something and then responding without looking at the date.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:57 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I almost replied that it was the same as for the OS 30 FS.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 AM
sarpet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idid little porting job and install carburetor from very old os.25fsr engine.
15%nitro MA 10x4 prop 12200rpm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170709_182243.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2223778  
Old 10-10-2018, 02:34 PM
psiturbo

Sarpet;

there is too much stuff goin on on that picture, almost artistic in nature.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which tank size to get around 10- 12 min. With a .30 4 stroke.

A six to eight ounce tank should do the trick.
With a 9. 5x6 or a 10x6 prop on an O.S. fs30 at full throttle most of the flight, using a 6oz. Tank should get around 10min.
. I have been using small displacement four strokes for the last 30 plus years, and trust me, a 4oz. tank will not be enough.
. A six should really be enough, but if you can squeeze it in, go for an 8oz. one.
. I can easily get ten minutes with a 6oz. Tank with one of my house of balsa Mustangs using a 6oz. tank.
But I usually set my timer for 8min. Just to make sure that I have some reserve.
Plus, honestly, I start to get bored after about ten minutes anyway.
Happy flying, Jon Perry

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-12-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-18-2018, 01:45 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I use 110cc tanks in my Dc-3 (Marutaka) powered by OS FS .26 engines (swinging 3-blade 10x4,5 carbon fiber props). 4 oz will be fine and 6oz too . 8 oz will be too large.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 PM
fiery

Jan

What is the finish on your Gooney Bird? Love the weathered look.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:52 PM
jaka

Hi!
Chrome Oracover (wet sanded with 1200 paper on a piece of glass) then ironed down on balsa sheeted wing /fuselage which is covered with 25g glassfiber /30 hour epoxy.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Default Tank for 10 minute flight duration using a MAGNUM .30 FS

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
I use 110cc tanks in my Dc-3 (Marutaka) powered by OS FS .26 engines (swinging 3-blade 10x4,5 carbon fiber props). 4 oz will be fine and 6oz too . 8 oz will be too large.
Hey Jaka! Long time no talk!
Actually the original poster was wanting to know about what
size tank should be used with a Magnum .30 four stroke engine.
Not an fs26 surpass.
I'm guessing that you don't fly your now very old Goony bird at full throttle most of the flight!
Good job on Keeping that flying all of these years!.
If you carefully re-read my suggestions, I was referring to an O.S. fs26 in my little mustang. Which is at full throttle for most of the flight! A 6 oz.. tank could give me more than 10 minutes at conservative throttle settings, but I have drained the tank dry in under 10 minutes in the past, so I keep my timer set at 8min. with that particular plane.
. Hey, do you still make those totally scale props?
. If so, I am interested, now that I am finally finishing my Royal B-17 after shelving the project for 5 years.
. Take care, Jon
. P.s. Sorry about the underlining, that was unintentional!

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-19-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-20-2018, 12:10 PM
jaka

Hi!
Yeah! I noticed that you asked about the Magnum.30 but as it is nearly the same size as my OS FS .26 I predicted that the fuel consumption would be about the same give or take.
Problem with using too large tank is that the engine setting would differ from full tank to low.
Yeah! I still have those 3-blade 10"x4,5 carbon props for sale. It was a wild guess when I made them.
I knew the OS FS .26 performed best with an APC 10x5 prop (at sea level running 5% nitro), but would a scale 10" (scale for the Marutaka DC-3) 3-blade prop work equally well??? And with what pitch?? It was guess!
The final result was better than expected as those carbon props performed better than the the previous 10x5 APC props.

Last edited by jaka; 11-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Default Jaka's Cool scale propellers!

Actually Jaka, I wasn't the one asking at all , but I am pretty sure that the OP got the message.
Just so you know, it has been my experience that both the O.S. and Magnum .30's drink a little more than the fs26's.
I am powering my Royal B-17 with the .26's.
And I am still interested in getting four of those props from you.
I will be either bringing my old thread on the build back to life, or possibly just starting a new one.
Almost all of the pics on the old thread got deleted back when RCU was having problems.
. Give me another week or so and I will notify you, or just be looking for a reactivated or new thread for a Royal B-17.