Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Flight time on a Saito 72?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 04:48 AM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight time on a Saito 72?

I am currently building a Sig Liberty Sport and planning on using a Saito 72 for power. I am wondering if anyone has an idea from past /current experience what approximate flight duration per ounce of fuel I might expect from this engine. This will assist me in deciding what size tank to use. Thanks.

[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 05-21-2004, 08:11 AM
chem16

Default RE: Flight time on a Saito 72?

I currently have a saito 72 on a UCD 46. I have my timer set at 14 minutes for each flight. Although I only use full throttle when going vertical, most of my throttle usage is between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. I believe the tank that comes standard with the UCD 46 is either an 8 oz or 8 1/2 oz. I just finished putting the 72 in a Great Plane super sporster 40. I upgraded the tank to a 10 oz, so I should get a decent flight out of this setup since I will be using more full throttle. I still believe I should get at least 12 minutes. Throttle management is the key. Years ago I had a os 46 fx in a tower hobbies uproar with a 6 oz tank. Under normal flying I only got about 7 or 8 minutes. One day I wanted to see how long I could keep the plane up on a single tank, I took her way up and flew at 1/4 throttle for 17 minutes. So again Throttle Management is the key.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
ptmac3

OK, so when you say you have your timer set at 14 minutes can I assume that means you are looking to land when the timer goes off and that you have allowed yourself a 2/3 minute window in case someone else is messing around on the runway? The UCD-46 does come with an 8oz tank, btw, which would equate to approx 2 minutes of flight time per oz. Hmmmmm........interesting. Are you familiar with the Liberty Sport?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Scott Dilley

If you use a 10 ounce tank, you can fly until it is empty. After that, land and refuel for another flight. By the way, the Saito 72 is a wonderful engine!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:56 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 ounce = 10 minutes more or less. If you go any bigger, the fuel gets heavy, not good for balance and wing loading.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:59 PM
old bird

I'm flying a Midwest Starduster with a Saito .72, our first 4-stroke. I only use full throttle on take-off and when in the upside of a loop. Most of the time my throttle setttings are 1/2 to 3/4 open. I have a 10 oz tank and I fly 10 minute flights. Fuel consumption is always 5 to 6 oz. per 10 minute flight, so I have plenty of reserve if the runway gets tied up with a crash retrieval. The Saito .72 is just a thing of beauty, runs smooth and never misses a beat, starts instantly when cold or hot, plenty of power in my 5.75 lb. plane. Our field is at 5000 feet, I use Cool Power 10 or 15% nitro. I love this engine and recently bought a Saito 100 for the Corsair that we are putting togethor. I have an hour and 20 minutes run time on the 100 on the test stand, and can already tell that it is going to be another winner.

Regards from old bird.