Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Antifreeze cleaning method

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 03:38 AM
heliraptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze cleaning method

Hi folks

I've searched around here and read good results on this method. I have a Moki 135 I have aquired and its quite dirty, castor based stains on the head and muffler etc, I intend to strip it down and clean it using the antifreeze method.

Few questions.

1. What temperature should the antifreeze be heated at?

2. How long should the engine sit in the antifreeze for?

3. Do you need to scrub like mad or does the antifreeze lift off the stains?

I'll upload a picture of the engine I'm about to clean (You'll be horrified I was)

Has anyone got any before and after pictures of their dirty engines afetr antifreeze cleaning just so i can see the results??

Cheers

Lee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65482.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	137992  
Old 05-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Antifreeze cleaning method

Use the low or med. setting. do not use the high setting, it discolours the case.

I let it sit overnight, I have read that a couple of hours will do it, your choice.

In most cases the antifreeze will do the cleaning, although I have used a brush to get the real bad spots of. I did not have to scrub, just brushed it off.

Use the ordinary cheap environmentally hostile antifreeze, not the biodegradable. The biodegradable discolours the aluminum.

Remember this stuff is poisonous to just about everything that breathes!

Ed S
Old 05-31-2004, 08:44 AM
skywalllker

I have a question on this method too. Do we need to take out all the oil-ring, gasket, rubber material from the engine first before we soak it?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:51 AM
JimTrainor

I've done two engines, and a muffler from another. All worked fine.
An old tooth brush helps get the last bits of goop off.
I put my hot pot, on low. It had just a wisp of vapour coming off the surface.
I removed all non-metal parts.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:02 AM
TNRabbit

I've seen a lot worse engines...

Remove the carb and backplate and DO remove all gaskets/o-rings and separate the muffler/engine (head can stay on)! It's also a good idea to do this OUTSIDE OR IN A WELL-VENTILATED GARAGE! You don't want to be around while it's working it's magic.

DO NOT USE A CROCK-POT YOU WILL BE USING AGAIN FOR FOOD!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Eddie.b

I do it outside on my Coleman stove. Straight antifreeze hot enough to see some steam but not boiling. Probably about 180-200 degrees F. Do not put the carb assembly or any nonmetalic gaskets in the AF. Clean them in clean glow fuel.
Soak for about an hour or two depending on how dirty it is. I use a toothbrush to help scrub and a fine nylon 3M scrubbing pad for the top of the piston and combustion area of the head. This works so good that the motor will look like new. Blow off the motor with compressed air. Really no need to rinse as the AF has anti-corrosion properties.
Use some oil on reassembly. Make sure you know which side of the con-rod faces you so the piston is in it's original position. Save the AF in a labeled container after it cools off. You can use it again.
Regards,
Ed
Old 05-31-2004, 02:41 PM
jessiej

Those using the antifreeze cleaning method of cleaning should be aware of the recent murder trial in Georgia in which a woman was convicted of poisoning her husband. Her poison of choice? Antifreeze.

This is deadly stuff-be careful.

jess
Old 05-31-2004, 03:18 PM
JimTrainor

I've informed my wife in the event she decides to off me.

I had typed in a joke about how to off one's wife by mixing two of her favorite household cleaning products to create a certain well known deadly gas. But then I figured some kid would read this and run off and mix those two products....
Old 05-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Eddie.b

Jess, I believe everyone on RCU knows AF is poisonous. I was trying to help someone clean their motor. I thought my recomendation in handling AF reflected that. Let no disclaimer be left unsaid.
Ed
Old 05-31-2004, 09:43 PM
bentgear

Its sad in a way, but some people think nothing using large quantities of methanol, acetone, xylene, etc. but get upset when someone mentions antifreeze. This is not a diss at any poster on this thread, just a comment in general cause I had it happen when visiting a guys shop one day. All chemicals need to be used with caution, based on what the chemical is. Compared to some of the materials that have been used to clean engines, antifreeze is a very safe substance.

Ed M.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:17 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: bentgear

Its sad in a way, but some people think nothing using large quantities of methanol, acetone, xylene, etc. but get upset when someone mentions antifreeze. This is not a diss at any poster on this thread, just a comment in general cause I had it happen when visiting a guys shop one day. All chemicals need to be used with caution, based on what the chemical is. Compared to some of the materials that have been used to clean engines, antifreeze is a very safe substance.

Ed M.
I fully agree that we use many dangerous chemicals, BUT one factor makes antifreeze a bit more insiduous than others. Due to odor, flavor or whatever, antifreeze is quite attractive to pets and small children whereas few of the other chemicals mentioned invite a curious taste. In light of this I cannot agree that antifreeze is a very safe substance. Death by antifreeze poisioning, and it takes only a minute amount, is also not very plesant, involving kidney failure, etc.

Not trying to be an alarmist, and I use the stuff as well, but I don't think efforts to avoid tragedy gan be overdone, especially when it involves the safety of inocents.

jess
Old 05-31-2004, 11:46 PM
cms108

i've also got a moki 1.35... and have been informed by another moki owner, that as i'm running 20% castor... and also running the engine rich to run it in... that it will fairly quickly get to be a bit of a mess inside.
i've tried a few methods of cleaning my other smaller, less expensive engines... with limited success - and so am reluctant to chuck my 180 quid moki in a boiling pan of Daz Ultra.... or antifreeze or whatever.
aren't there any cleaning products designed specifically for disolving these kind of deposits found in engines without making a mess of the aluminium... sounds like an un-tapped market to me. even if all they do is sell me a bottle of anti-freeze with "Super Engine Cleaner" written on it.

--
cHris
Old 06-01-2004, 12:11 AM
JimTrainor

Ultrasonic cleaners are said to work well in a glow engine book I have.

BTW, the antifreeze is only warm, not boiling.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:12 AM
slamn sammy

I have a Saito .50 that is in bad shape! It needs to be cleaned bad. Can I clean the engine complete? I'm going to watch it as I clean it.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 AM
em14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Anti Freeze to clean several Engines and they have turned out well cleaned. I used antifreeze that was formulated to be used in automotive engines that were made of Alum. That may not be a problem anymore!
Leo
Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I always tear the engine down before cooking in antifreeze. This ensures completely rinsing the antifreeze out. Use low to medium heat only (if it boils, it will likely oxidize the aluminum turning it gray), and be sure to coat all steel parts with oil after drying throroughly. Otherwise the steel will rust quickly.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, low heat only. Use the lowest setting. On mine that is where it is too hot for most people to reach in quickly to grab parts. I reuse the antifreeze, but it looses some of its cleaning abilities each time you do that.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:23 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used this method before, and still use it on mufflers. Since then, I just use the LA Totally Awesome spray from the Dollar Tree. It is just a concentrated cleaner. It works just as well, and the motor does not need to be taken apart. Oh, and it is only a dollar. (OK, $1.25 here)
Old 07-09-2016, 08:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I crockpotted a couple engines last night. They were already disassembled, and I wasn't in a hurry to get them back together... So if one isn't in a hurry and willing to disassemble the engine, the crockpot works great. Some minor scrubbing is necessary on the really nasty parts, but otherwise it works well. The engines I did last night I soaked on Low heat for about 12 hours.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:08 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to get the LA Awesome. We have Dollar Trees here. Best place to buy batteries and cheap stuff for the shop.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:18 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
I'm going to get the LA Awesome. We have Dollar Trees here. Best place to buy batteries and cheap stuff for the shop.
I bought a bottle awhile ago, but I didn't have the time last night to try it. Pretty lazy after a tough week at work. I have some dirty mufflers I'll try it on though. I'd like to compare how well it works to dawn power dissolver.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:01 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I tried the LA Awesome. It worked, but it took a lot of scrubbing. Do you guys put it in a crock pot?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

By the way, antifreeze is considered moderately toxic. The problem is that it tastes sweet, so animals and children may drink enough to kill them. By comparison, methanol - the main ingredient in glow fuel, is considered highly toxic.

No need to treat antifreeze like radioactive waste, just don't leave it out where it can be ingested by animals or children.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMacG
I tried the LA Awesome. It worked, but it took a lot of scrubbing. Do you guys put it in a crock pot?
I have not tried it in a crockpot. May be an idea. Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner would be better. I just spray it on, leave it for a bit, and scrub with a toothbrush. A brass toothbrush on the blacker stuff. I would not really say one method is any cleaner, they are all about the same in the end, including the Dawn Power Dissolver.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 PM
slamn sammy

Thank You all you guys. I'll try the LA first. Will see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.